Globrey Blordiator Completed!

Started by sequoiaranger, August 13, 2009, 10:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Brian da Basher

You nailed it on every level, SR! The kit mods, rigging (wow totally pro-style!!!), added guns, paint scheme and markings, all of this incredibly masterful and inspired work make your Bordiator a winner all the way and one of my favorite all-time biplane whiffs! Pure genius!!!

Love those spats, including the spatted tail wheel!
:wub: :wub:  :wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Sauragnmon

Absolutely beautiful piece of work there, SR - love the way she turned out, and a hellacious looking beast of a bird too.  The CAMO just pays off in Spades.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sequoiaranger

>... and the rest of the story is that the Blordiator was tragically lost when it was hastily included in the attack on Palermo, Sicily without a repaint. <

Yes, some Macchi pilot would recognize that the scene didn't belong in Italy---too clean, no laundry strung between the buildings, no smoggy Vespas darting about.  :lol:

PS--not intending to "bash" Italy---I have spent several months enjoying Italy over the decades, but Malta is like a "Switzerland of the Mediterranean"--stunningly clean and kempt (opposite of "unkempt", though "kempt" doesn't seem to be in this site's spell-check dictionary!).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

Outstanding result - well done!  :thumbsup: :wub:

I love the cammo..... :wub:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

While writing up a backstory for the Blordiator for an IPMS Newsletter, I recounted which parts of which aircraft went into the making of it. I was astounded to discover that there were EIGHTEEN identifiable donors, and then there were some anonymous "spares" and scratchbuilt parts, too. Now "E Pluribus Unum" is even MORE appropriate! The identifiable kits were:

1.  Gloster Gladiator: front fuselage (expanded and altered), side radiator, wheel struts, and "spat" part of tailwheel.
2.  Fairey Swordfish: "Y" strut connecting fuselage and lower wing
3.  Bristol Blenheim: engine, cowling (modified), exhaust, and the horizontal tailplanes (shaped to look like a Gladiator's)
4.  Douglas Devastator: Pilot
5.  Supermarine Spitfire: Instrument panel, stick, seat, side door.
6.  Curtiss P-40: Canopy (similar framing to Gladiator, but wider to accommodate widened fuselage)
7.  Vickers Wellington: Larger, counter-clockwise propeller.
8.  Supermarine Walrus: Both wings (cut down in span--intended to be "Swordfish-like"), vertical stabilizer (re-shaped)
9.  Grumman Duck: "N" struts between wings.
10. Henschel Hs-126: Fuselage extension
11. Ilyushin Il-28: radar bulge used as "dinghy pack"
12. Heinkel He-112: underside center section to blend forward and rear fuselage shapes.
13. Junkers Ju-87 Stuka: Spats (pedestal cut off, and wheel "wells" opened up)
14. Northrop Gamma: Wheels (modified with indentations to look like Gladiator's)
15. Caproni CA-313: under-wing gun gondolas
16. Hawker Hurricane: under-wing 20mm cannon
17. RAF Rescue Craft: Dual Lewis guns and mount on top wing.
18. Focke-Wulf Fw-190: tail wheel (half sticking out of spat)

Whew!

I kinda succeeded too much with this project. What's kind of a "shame" is that all this work produced a Gladiator look-alike that most people won't recognize as a completely different plane! Still, it is one of my most satisfying works, and will be on display this Friday at my local IPMS chapter meeting.

Spey_Phantom

yawza, that thing looks awesome, i cant believe 18 kits were used to make this  :o
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 24, 2009, 12:40:39 PM

I kinda succeeded too much with this project. What's kind of a "shame" is that all this work produced a Gladiator look-alike that most people won't recognize as a completely different plane! Still, it is one of my most satisfying works, and will be on display this Friday at my local IPMS chapter meeting.

Simple: build an OOB Gladiator and put it next to it!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Pablo1965

Sorry, I am looking the old planes, I'm a rookie and I want to know this forum, and suddely I saw this incredible plane, born from and incredible ragbag. The scheme or camo paint is not my favourite, but this plane has captivated my hart. It is one of the biplanes more combative I ever seen.  :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

James

I'm glad you found it Pablo. I can't believe I missed this one.  :wub:

sequoiaranger

SGazer, P-65, James--thanks. What a crazy conglomeration that turned out to be!

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: James on December 09, 2010, 03:21:34 PM
I'm glad you found it Pablo. I can't believe I missed this one.  :wub:

Ditto, I must've been vacationing on Planet Ten while this one was unveiled.  Possibly the most inventive camo I've ever seen but I keep going back to the initial assembly so as not to miss out on the airframe/canvas itself.  A very sharp design you've come up with.

:bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Pablo1965

Quote from: Pablo1965 on December 09, 2010, 01:13:08 PM
Sorry, I am looking the old planes, I'm a rookie and I want to know this forum, and suddely I saw this incredible plane, born from and incredible ragbag. The scheme or camo paint is not my favourite, but this plane has captivated my hart. It is one of the biplanes more combative I ever seen.  :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I mantain my words and this is the cause I made my Gloster Arrow. I only can said... Thanks :cheers: :cheers: :drink: :bow: :bow: