Fokker F27 Friendship/Troopship

Started by Mossie, August 13, 2009, 02:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Picked up the re-issued Airfix 1/72 kit today & wondered what could be done to the Fokker F27?  First thoughts are:

RAF Andover alternative, Transport Command lightning stripe, Middle East Command browns on black (thanks JayBee!) or Queen's Flight.  Got to admit, the idea of the Queen's Flight feels good.

Maritime Patrol.  There was a MPA variant of the Troopship, although I'm thinking of something a bit more dedicated, with a weapons bay.  It'd require some changes to the landing gear & an engine upgrade (Tynes to replace the Darts maybe?) but would be doable.

AEW.  Could go about this a number of ways, rotating radome, or (more likely for the period) an underslung or over fuselage radar pod.

Gunship, well, that one's obivous!

If anyone's got pics of unusual real world variants, that would be good. :thumbsup:

Simon. :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Cobra

Not sure if it's been tried but.......heard once that a European Broadcast Group Attempted to turn a Fokker F27 into a Flying Studio for 'On the Spot' Reporting!!!!!!! think that would work for You???

apophenia

Fokker was looking at a four-engined version to rival the Dash-7.

ASW: it'd involve a lot of surgery but what about mid-winged with a long nose gear. Keep the Darts and go with Neptune-style booster jet pods?

Mossie

Flying studio?  Probably wouldn't model it myself, but sounds 'ntrestin.

Four engined Dash-7 rival, sounds good.  Any pics?

I've had another thought based around the Andover again, Raspberry Ripple (WfMD) testbed with radome nose & plenty of test instrumentation.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

apophenia

No pix -- and I've searched! (Now watch Jon put up 12!)

The 4 x PT6 STOL was the Fokker P.310. There was also the P.305 Commuter -- a turbofan F.27 powered by twin ALF-502s. Does anyone know the Project number for the ramped F.27 study?

How about a pistonated Friendship? The 1939 Fokker F.24 project looked roughly similar. [Image deleted to spare Download File]

Mossie

apophenia

Quote from: Mossie on August 14, 2009, 03:28:19 AM
Apo, I've found some diagrams of a four engined F27, the P.301 which seems to be packing PT6's.  I assume it was an earlier study to the P.310 you mention?

Brilliant -- thanks Mossie! I knew as soon as I said that I'd searched for this, images would appear  :lol:

Maybe Flight garbled the designation and I've been hunting a P.310 whilowisp while I should've been looking for the P.301 the whole time!

Mossie

I do like the F.24, it seems that Fokker pretty much dusted off the design for the Friendship.

Now a Gunship, wouldn't be the Troopship & couldn't be the Friendship.  Fokker Animosity maybe, or Fokker I hate your f*****g guts?? :lol:

Hobbes

Quote from: Mossie on August 13, 2009, 02:04:47 PM

Maritime Patrol.  There was a MPA variant of the Troopship, although I'm thinking of something a bit more dedicated, with a weapons bay.  It'd require some changes to the landing gear & an engine upgrade (Tynes to replace the Darts maybe?) but would be doable.

There was a RW proposal for that: the F-27 Maritime Enforcer. Sadly, none were sold. This model is in the Aviodrome museum:

Hobbes

A few more proposed and built variants are listed here, including a flying boat, a border patrol version with SLAR (Sentinel) and an AEW version.

Sentinel:

(a demonstrator was shown at Farnborough, but none were sold)

Maritime Enforcer:

(also shown at Farnborough)

Cobra

if your going to use a Name for the Gunship version,how about calling  it 'Fireship'???? just a Thought.

B777LR

Stretch it to fit 70 passengers. Fit P&W 150 engines, with 6 bladed props like the ATR-500/600 and Crash-8 Q400. Update the cabin, fit glass cockpit. More larger windows in the cabin, like the ATR :thumbsup:

jcf

Quote from: apophenia on August 14, 2009, 11:28:01 AM
Plain old Fokker Gunship seems to fit nicely. And it'd be a lot faster than saying "Take cover and call in the Fokker I hate your f*****g guts!

... or Kanonschip in Babel-Fish Dutch or Pistoolschip in Google Dutch. ;)

GTX

There was a real world COD proposal to the USN IIRC - will try to find reference.

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

The F50 Maritime Enforcer 2 is used by Singapore.

The Netherlands use the F60 (stretched F50) as troop transports.

The F50/60 were developed from the stretched F27-500 and have PW125 or 127 engines with six-blade props.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/aircraft/af50/f50.htm
http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/aircraft/af60/af60.htm

How to model the 50 and 60:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/models/f50/f50mod.htm

http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/models/f60/f60mod.htm

Jon