Nose Art

Started by IanH, August 13, 2009, 05:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanH

Hi Guys,
one of my projects in my 'to do' pile is an Academy B50, waiting for the 'push'.  One of my favourite Alternative Histories is that of the 'Watchmen'.  During the opening titles of the film, the Atom Bomb is dropped by a B29/B50, bearing very striking Nose Art.  My question is, how can I reproduce the Nose Art?

Taiidantomcat

Store on Ebay:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Just-Pinups-and-a-little-bit-more__W0QQ_armrsZ1

It is a What If, so If you have a steady hand you could find another decal and just repaint her clothes (or in a lot of cases put some on in the first place!) I'm willing to bet they based the Miss Jupiter Nose art on an actual WWII aircraft pin up...

Good luck, and welcome aboard  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Shasper

Find a good enough shot of "Miss Jupiter" & I bet you could find someone willing to make a decal sheet for ya ;)

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

IanH

Many Thanks guys,
I've already sourced the rest (Enola Gay, even down to the 82 on the nose), it's just that Nose Art!

Taiidantomcat

Just a quick note: The Enola Gay was a Silver plate B-29 so it did not have the turrets. I like the turrets personally, but its your call of course  :cheers:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Radish

Scouring some decal sheets from B-24s and B-29s (or B-17s in 1/48th?) might provide a suitable figure.
Of course, if you can find the image you can always try reducing it in scale and then tracing/handpainting it?
I really like the idea, and have suggested to more than one decal producer the idea of making totally unsuitable nose art based on the various pictures prevalent in the 40s and 50s.
Good luck!
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Ed S

I did some nose art a few years ago.  I had photos of the art I wanted and I scanned them into the computer.  Then using drawing/photoediting software, I cleaned them up and removed all of the surrounding picture leaving just the nose art. Then I scaled it and had it printed on a laser color printer on blank decal film.  Works great.  It took some time since I'm no wiz with the software, but it turned out fine on the models.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

IanH

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on August 14, 2009, 08:50:42 AM
Just a quick note: The Enola Gay was a Silver plate B-29 so it did not have the turrets. I like the turrets personally, but its your call of course  :cheers:
I understand that about the Enola Gay, however, I reckon it would be more appropriate to keep the turrets, since it'd be closer to the source material ;D

IanH

Quote from: Ed S on August 14, 2009, 09:43:20 AM
I did some nose art a few years ago.  I had photos of the art I wanted and I scanned them into the computer.  Then using drawing/photoediting software, I cleaned them up and removed all of the surrounding picture leaving just the nose art. Then I scaled it and had it printed on a laser color printer on blank decal film.  Works great.  It took some time since I'm no wiz with the software, but it turned out fine on the models.

Ed
Many Tx Ed - I might just give that a go...

ChernayaAkula

"The times they are a'changin!" Some of the best, most atmospheric opening credits ever! :bow:

Soooo, with Miss Jupiter on a B-29, how about Silk Spectre II on a B-52 or even B-1 in 1980s SIOP colours? :wub:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

IanH

Apophenia,
I could kiss you on the lips  :thumbsup: :bow:  I owe you one :cheers:

GTX

Another interesting whiff observation (I think):

Does this image:

Show a B-29 with a 4 gun lower nose turret as well?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

IanH

That's why I believe it's a B50...Imdb lists the Miss Jupiter as a factual error :rolleyes:

jcf

Not a B-50, the engines are wrong.
It is a B-29 with a four-gun lower turret.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on August 14, 2009, 11:04:28 AM
"The times they are a'changin!" Some of the best, most atmospheric opening credits ever! :bow:

Soooo, with Miss Jupiter on a B-29, how about Silk Spectre II on a B-52 or even B-1 in 1980s SIOP colours? :wub:

Agreed. and I like that Idea!  :thumbsup:

Thanks from me too Apophenia  :bow:

B-50 has a taller tail and new nose glazing as well. You can see the engine difference Jon noted here:

Having said that, its your model so have fun!