S.H.A.D.O. Interceptor F-411 Hyperdart.

Started by chrisonord, August 15, 2009, 08:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This is the 5th aircraft design in the SHADO  UFO interception series. The F-411 is a hybrid turbo jet/scram jet interceptor capable of mach 6, at very high altitude, but,with the capability of high G manoeuvring at lower altitudes and speeds. The weapons are carried in a rotary magazine bay, that when opens stays aerodynamic due to the bay doors sliding back into the fuselage. Due to the amount of mechanics needed for this to work, the aircraft is limited to carrying 4 missiles of the Aim-54 scram phoenixes. The aircraft also carries a 40 mm cannon built into the right wing root.
The kit I have used for this build is the Revell 1/144th scale concorde, re-scaled to 1/72nd scale,a single bubble canopy has been fitted and puttied in to fit. The engines have also been modded, and now have 2 single exhaust nozzles from an F-15, and 2 underslung scram intakes.
The wing tips have been clipped and fitted with a pair of slim fuel tanks, and some canted winglets fitted at a downward angle.
The forward fuselage is also fitted with moving canards so as to give it the low speed handling needed. The weapons bay is the cockpit bucket from a 1/48th SR-71 (thanks Phil!!).
Photos to follow as it is absolutely bucketing down here at the moment.
Cheers,
Chris.   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

philp

Yay.  Some of those parts are getting used.

Looking forward to the pics (especially how you turn a cockpit into a weapons bay) :thumbsup:.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

chrisonord

Here are some pictures of my current progress on the hyperdart, and a couple of pics for Philp  :thumbsup:
I have given it 3 coats of matt black so far and the white is still showing through :banghead: looks like I had better buy some more :angry:
The main challenge on this was the cockpit canopy, getting this to look right and shaping the putty to fit has been and probably still is a nightmare. When I remove the tape I shall see :blink:. The engine pods are on their 3rd incarnation also, but this time I am happy with them....for a change.
I don't know whether to leave it all black or put a camo scheme into the mix.
Cheers,
Chris.

Sauragnmon

she looks sleek and beautiful in black, but a little bland in the here and now, needs something to clean her up and give her some attitude.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Mossie

Very nice.  Even scalorama'd to 1/72 it's still a big beast. :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Guess that answers my question.

Looking good.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Green Dragon

Looks good Chris, really like the engine nacelles. The extra intakes are very Gerry Anderson! :thumbsup:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

chrisonord

Thanks for all the comments guy's, I started to struggle with this as my enthusiasm was starting to wane. I might try and get this thing finished but don't hold your breath :lol:
Cheers,
Chris. 

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Joe C-P

C'mon, you can do it! Make all us G.A. fans happy!   :drink:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

chrisonord

I will put some clear coat on this bird tomorrow, and hopefully take some pictures of it. It looks a bit different now colour wise, but I am more or less finished with it now.
Cheers,
Chris.

Cobra

Can't Wait to see it!!!!!!!!!! You've done Great So Far :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hope to see More of Your Awesome Work!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

chrisonord

I also have something else that I have been doing some work to for my SHADO builds, it is not a plane or a vehicle, or a boat of any kind.
You will just have to wait and see when it looks more like it should ;D
Cheers,
Chris.

chrisonord

As promised sort of :rolleyes:
Here are some more progress pics of the Hyperdart I am having some trouble with the putty at the rear of the canopy, so I will probably have to grind a lot of it out and start again :banghead: but I thought I would do some pics anyway.
Cheers

Sauragnmon

She looks wicked in that scheme - is the light gray a metallic?  I could almost swear it is with the way it seems to react to the light, and it would look pretty sleek if it was, either way it's cool.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.