The more the merrier
18 (39.1%)
Fewer but broader
25 (54.3%)
No Thanks dont do GB's
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Bungle

Personally I'd just like to take part in a GB now. There are none on the go at the moment and I am quite lost without one. That is not to say I take part in everyone but a choice not to take part is better than no GBs at all.

My preference would be three planned, 4 month long GB's for the year - plus 3 or 4 short one month GB's. Like most of you my leisure time revolves around work, repairing the car, house, relationships, strangling the kids etc. The one week GB was fun but caused immense grief. I for one am not a festidious builder - I do it for relaxation rather than precision so my builds normally take 4 - 6 weeks and I normally only have 2 or 3 on the go at one time. I would like to take part in a GB but not have it take over my modelling life. So three 4 month GB's gives me plenty of time to plan my build plus continue my other builds - but what if I don't want to take part in that GB ? Well this is where the shorter GB's would come in.

Apologies if my thoughts clash with anyone elses... What-if I didn't have an opinion  :banghead:
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Weaver

Quote from: Bungle on August 18, 2009, 03:34:39 AM
Personally I'd just like to take part in a GB now. There are none on the go at the moment and I am quite lost without one. That is not to say I take part in everyone but a choice not to take part is better than no GBs at all.

My preference would be three planned, 4 month long GB's for the year - plus 3 or 4 short one month GB's. Like most of you my leisure time revolves around work, repairing the car, house, relationships, strangling the kids etc. The one week GB was fun but caused immense grief. I for one am not a festidious builder - I do it for relaxation rather than precision so my builds normally take 4 - 6 weeks and I normally only have 2 or 3 on the go at one time. I would like to take part in a GB but not have it take over my modelling life. So three 4 month GB's gives me plenty of time to plan my build plus continue my other builds - but what if I don't want to take part in that GB ? Well this is where the shorter GB's would come in.

Apologies if my thoughts clash with anyone elses... What-if I didn't have an opinion  :banghead:

That pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the subject exactly -  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sandiego89

I am newer to the forum, and have only done the recent seaplane GB.  I concur with Weaver and Sauragnmon that one longish broader GB, and several shorter focused GB's are the way to go.  I prefer focused.  And I believe extensions should be limited- timelines do help with the motivation.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

lancer

I don't take part in GB's now as they are too time compressed and I don't have the time or the scope for doing multiple builds I.E. Twelford builds, club builds and group builds. So, from a purely personal point of view, I would prefer going back to the old style of long term group build rather than the current system. However, I also tend to agree with the idea that a 'hi-lo' mix would be a reasonable solution as it then caters for ALL the membership.  There are a lot of ideas I would love to take opart in but I have neither the time, funds for materiel or the space to build to be able to. A long term group build is the ideal solution to all those drawbacks.
Also, withthe longer term group builds, themes and ideas can be explored in some depth whereas the current quickfire one's don't reallt have that opportunity.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

BlackOps

I cut back on group builds this year because my personal time just wasn't there. The only thing that I see that could be helpful is the scheduling. We tend to get several gb's lumped together (which causes a major drought in the regular forum when there are so many gb's at once) then have a dry spell (like right now) when we could really use one or two to keep the flow going.

I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to participate in every group build, I can build on any idea any time, I don't have to wait for a group build.

That being said I love the comeraderie and diversity that comes from a group build. Seeing how many different ideas come from a common theme is always amazing to me, and of course it's always fun when everyone plays together :)

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Modelling_Mushi

As a newbie I've found the two group builds I have been in have been a hoot, the 1 week GB being a real test. I'm of the same mind as Weaver and Bungle in general, I'd like to see one or two GBs always on the go and that they are of a longer duration. Usually I'm flat out producing 4 to 5 models a year, I just joined this forum at a low point in work so had some free hours.

Ciao

Mass
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Shasper

my 2 pennance worth - I like a good mix of long-er term, very focused (like one specific aircraft type or air arm) builds along with the really broad topic GBs that allow alot of variety, and those few week GBs for the challenge of actually making the deadline.

I cant remember which one I voted for, but I'd like to see a "specific manufacturer" GB, either a real life builder of stuff like Boeing, EADS, Arado etc, or a kit maker (Monogram, Hobby Boss etc) . . . This has been done a few times over on ARC with the "Matchbox Madness" GBs, and I think we could put our own unique spin on this idea ;)

While I'm not griping about anything specific I'd like to see some well defined examples given in the rules. Since we're Whiffers we're not bound by the rule of the real world, however the lines between whats What-If & some of the other genres (Sci-Fi, Fantasy etc) get blurred & what one person considers Whiff could be Sci-Fi by someone else's standards. 
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Eddie M.

QuoteI cut back on group builds this year because my personal time just wasn't there. The only thing that I see that could be helpful is the scheduling. We tend to get several gb's lumped together (which causes a major drought in the regular forum when there are so many gb's at once) then have a dry spell (like right now) when we could really use one or two to keep the flow going.

I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to participate in every group build, I can build on any idea any time, I don't have to wait for a group build.

That being said I love the comeraderie and diversity that comes from a group build. Seeing how many different ideas come from a common theme is always amazing to me, and of course it's always fun when everyone plays together

+1
Look behind you!