Navy aircraft for USAF

Started by tigercat2, August 17, 2009, 03:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

IMHO, some Navy aircraft were so good that they should have been used by the USAF; in particular the RA-5C, F-8 and A-6.  Here are some examples.

Wes W.

chrisonord

I am liking the Vigilante Wes, one of my favourite aircraft. I wanted to do a whif of one with a mixture of strike eagle bits and a modern weapons load out, but I stole the allocated engine nozzles from a strike eagle I have in the bone yard, and stuck them on my F-411 Hyperdart :banghead:
If I find some more suitable( BIG) engine nozzles I will have a go at the conversion sometime. I did a whiff Vigilante a while back, with twin tails, extended Hornet nose, bigger engine nozzles and a load out of SRAM's and AMRAAM's.
The others look pretty cool also.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

tigercat2

Thanks so much for the complements.  The Viggie was a fantastic aircraft, faster and much more range than the F-4.  Here are a few more.

Wes W.

anthonyp

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

tigercat2

Thanks, here is an RF-84F test bird with orange and white.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Here is a better shot of the Intruder.  I had read somewhere that the USAF seriously considered purchasing A-6s from Grumman during 1965; the USAF did not have a true night and all weather attack aircraft, and it would be several years before the F-111 was ready.  This was why the '111 was rushed into combat during "Combat Lancer" in 1968, IIRC, and promptly lost half the force that had been deployed.

In my What if World, the USAF A-6 would have had the wing fold deleted, Flying boom refueling recepticle behind the canopy, flight controls for the B/N, and upgraded engines, possibly non-afterburning TF-30s or TF-41s, as in the A-7.

For this particular A-6, I used an old, old, old decal sheet from an F-111; this represents one of the birds at the RTU at Nellis.

Wes W.

Geoff

IIRC there was a version of the A-6 proposed with TF-30's for the "Missileer" program.

Cobra

Super Cool Stuff :ph34r: I think the A-6 would've been a Great Addittion to USAF line up but.............With the Navy & USAF not always on the Same page, it would have been 'Dicey' to say the Least!!!!!!!! Keep up the Great Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

Taiidantomcat

Excellent the F-8 and A-6 really stand out to me  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tigercat2

Thanks so much; here is another USAF F-8, along with a USAF TA-4 and a couple of Mirages for the USAF.

Wes W.

Sauragnmon

There was also the A-6F Proposal that replaced the engines with non-burning 404's and had other internal alterations to support more armaments.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Dork the kit slayer

What we need is a Homer Simpson drool emotion..............................Vigilantes  mmmm drool/
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

tigercat2

I agree, Viggies are really neat.  Here is something you don't see everyday, an A3J-1 done up as a USAF interceptor.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

Love the Viggies and the Intruder is a beaut!  :thumbsup:

B777LR

The Vigilante is a lovely plane. It has some of the most graceful lines of a modern jet aircraft. Don't you just love those great big wings, the tail, long sleek nose, nose cone, and the bomb release system! :wub: And the photo pod was nice too!