Modeling Madness What If Contest starts

Started by philp, August 17, 2009, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

http://modelingmadness.com/contests/whatif/whatifidx.htm

I say we inundate them with entries.  Every build done in the last 10 years.  Will be the biggest contest they ever had. :thumbsup:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

AeroplaneDriver

I love the rules...."...no Imagination Entries"  Pretty much sums it up I think.   ;D ;D ;D

According to their rules my recent 54 Sqn Phantom in SEAC colours is ineligible, since 54 Sqn actually operated Phantoms, and no RAF TSR.2s will be eligible since the TSR.2 was intended for RAF service. 

Pretty freaking restrictive for a "what if?" contest if you ask me...still, I agree...let's show them how it's done.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

B777LR

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 19, 2009, 11:50:02 PM
I love the rules...."...no Imagination Entries"  Pretty much sums it up I think.   ;D ;D ;D

According to their rules my recent 54 Sqn Phantom in SEAC colours is ineligible, since 54 Sqn actually operated Phantoms, and no RAF TSR.2s will be eligible since the TSR.2 was intended for RAF service. 

Pretty freaking restrictive for a "what if?" contest if you ask me...still, I agree...let's show them how it's done.

Thats the first thing i thought too. Pretty freaking restrictive...

DaFROG

Personally my imagination would not be tested by replacing the decals of an otherwise OOB accurate to prototype kit with those on a non prototype nationality (especially if theres no backstoryTM also does hello kitty count as a nation?).

I'm quite partial to a model of a paper project (especially if it involves scratch building/kitbashing) but the rules prevent the building of such in teh markings it might have ended up in in service.

I also prefer to see the build process, looks like you can only enter one photo for this one :rolleyes:

philp

Just post all the build stuff here and send them the final version.

Got to ask about kitbash aircraft as it looks like that is also not allowed but since my style of whiffing is mainly putting them in alt markings, I should be good.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Shasper

While rule #1 sub A & B are a bit limiting, I have no issues with part of rule #2 (no space/sci-fi), the last half I do have a bit of frostbite from . . .
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Ed S

And what's up with the "There will be no Display Section" rule?  I thought the whole point of an online contest was to display your work for everyone to look at?

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

philp

Ed, the Display Section would be for models not entered in the contest.  Ie, probably been shown before or have been published on the web before.

You can submit 1 photo of the completed model and that will be displayed on the page.  Voting is by popular vote, emailed to Scott.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Bungle

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

cthulhu77

I plan on entering a fair amount of work, starting on a few little what-ifs as of today. I am bummed about the banning process, I'd rather just wade through the flotsam and jetsam myself.

anthonyp

You've gotta be kidding me!  No entry of a paper-project can be entered in the intended countries' markings?!  WTF?!  What about intended projects that were modified over the life of the design?!  Noooo, that NEVER happens!

Another reason I'll only post Whifs here...
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

ChernayaAkula

Erm, what's the fuzz all about?  :unsure: So they host a What-If GB and decide to have some rules that limit what can be entered and what not. So it's not an all-out Whif GB.  Don't our GBs also have rules limiting what can be entered and what not?

Actually, I think the rule disallowing a whif in the colours it was intended to fly with is pretty interesting. Not what if the Ar E 555 had been built, but what if the Ar E 555 had been flown by the RAF. A general Whif GB would have seen them swamped in Luft '46 (not that that's a bad thing). 
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

philp

Guess they had the rules posted for several months and no one offered any suggestions during that time (that's what I get for not looking).

Maybe the next time but only if they get a good turnout.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Daryl J.

So if I understand the rules correctly, I can take Revell's 1/72 Hunter, add this
http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/accessories/silvercloudscc7202reviewbg_1.htm and paint it in either 74 Squadron or VF-84 markings and be OK.  However, converting the 1/48 Fine Molds Porco Rosso Savoia to a cloth winged, exposed flat engined aircraft posing as Porco's first Savoia would not qualify.  Neither would Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane backdated to an alternate cloth wing, spatted fixed gear, twin blade prop equipped, open cockpit aircraft.

Correct?

Daryl J., wish'n Scott and crew the all the best.

nev

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on August 21, 2009, 04:37:46 PM
Actually, I think the rule disallowing a whif in the colours it was intended to fly with is pretty interesting. Not what if the Ar E 555 had been built, but what if the Ar E 555 had been flown by the RAF.

What, you mean like this

Avro Achilles PR2, "C" Flight, 231 OCU, RAF Bassingbourne, 1958.

As for MM, its their party, and they can not buy any beer or invite hot chicks if they want to.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May