Modeling Madness What If Contest starts

Started by philp, August 17, 2009, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Quote from: anthonyp on August 21, 2009, 02:50:38 PM
You've gotta be kidding me!  No entry of a paper-project can be entered in the intended countries' markings?!  WTF?!  What about intended projects that were modified over the life of the design?!  Noooo, that NEVER happens!

Another reason I'll only post Whifs here...

Agreed. I don't think they quite get the concept of "What-If" over there.
:blink:
Replicating someone else's design isn't my idea of fun, unfortunately.

Brian da Basher

thedarkmaster

To be fair wouldn't post their if you payed me, ( well i would if you payed me enough ) they have always seen like a group who's sole purpose is to suck all the fun out of life.

I like it here, no one judges the designs or how well there done, it's all for fun.  ;D  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Tojo633

All
Just had a quick glance while passing throught the MM site, no entries in the group build, and they wonder why??
I think that the ruling regarding the markings and the Luft'46 example says it all. Luft '46 is a "What If" category on its own and as such I think many would expect to see a selection of well built Luft'46 models built in Axis and alternative markings. Although some aircraft as shown above with the Arado 555 do look different in alternative markings, to me this group build theme has restricted itself far too much and should have been better thought out. Then again no entries so far what more can you say. Maybe someone should tell them...!!

cheers
Sandy

Barry Krell

A what if contest with rules?  Sounds a very JMN thing to do "Yes, we'll have a what if contest but done our way, with rules and everything."

What's the point?  They deserve Nil Point.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

Aircav

May be their going to have a Luft'46 build sometime and as far as rule go, its their comp and surely any publicity the What if world gets is good.
Having just read the rules it does guarantee that the models entered with be new and not just recycled from other builds.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

cthulhu77

I think you guys are being a little harsh. The rules were posted quite a while ago, months and months...and Scott had no feedback at all.  I think this is an attempt to bridge the gap between the hardcore realists, and the what-iffers.  Instead of just bashing on the idea, perhaps trying to make it work would be better ?

philp

I gotta agree with Greg.

Hope to get one of my many projects done and post it up there.

Wonder if taking new pictures of the 2 I have done would get around the "can't be posted anywhere else" clause?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Sauragnmon

I think the ruling on no-origin markings is a rather neat concept.  I've got a couple on my finished shelf that I could actually toss in there, and a third one in progress.  It does avoid them being inundated with Just Luft '46, I kinda like it - Triebflugel in RA Sand and Spinach, though it'd come with extra Spin on the Spinach.  Arado E-555 as an IJAAF America Bomber... I'd be tempted to do it that way.  Or, if you wanted to stay Luftwaffe, you could just tweak it a Notch, and do her in Kaiserliche Lozenge and Eiseren Kreuzes - not the same country, is it?  Tsarist Russia Yak-9?  It's all on just how much you can step outside of Das Box.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Sauragnmon on August 24, 2009, 07:34:00 AM<...> Arado E-555 as an IJAAF America Bomber... <...>

Now there's a thought! :wacko:

Quote from: nev on August 22, 2009, 01:08:15 AM
What, you mean like this

Yup, that's what I'm talkin' about! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Geoff

Quote from: Sauragnmon on August 24, 2009, 07:34:00 AM
It's all on just how much you can step outside of Das Box.

Thats what it's all about!

Dork the kit slayer

Just been over for a look...........................not overly subscribed,I cant see them doing another in a hurry. There again I could be wrong , I usually am.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Aircav

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on August 24, 2009, 07:51:44 AM
Quote from: Sauragnmon on August 24, 2009, 07:34:00 AM<...> Arado E-555 as an IJAAF America Bomber... <...>

Now there's a thought! :wacko:

That has been done before but theres always room for more  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Tojo633

Hi

Maybe consider an alternative camouflage scheme for the IJAAF Arado, high altititude maybe? I have seen that pic before somewhere I am sure. I am quite sure if you look through the various Japanese camouflage schemes something will jump out.
Cheers
Sandy

Tojo633

All
This is on Modelling Madness today regarding the What if comp, again what is the point of this comp? "What if" is about the expression of our own little warped minds, what we believe may have been from paper project that never left the board and those that came very close to reality, projects in colours or markings that may or may not have been, in nations that may or may not exist or are the product of our own minds.

"There also seems to be some confusion as to what is eligible. The rules state:" it cannot be in the markings for any country/unit for which it:  a) was actually in service or b) for which it was intended for use." That means no British TSR.2s or F-111s, no American Navy F-105s or Air Force Tomcats, no German Bundeswaffe Me-262s and so on. It does mean things like Burmese F7Us, Canadian Hunters, Lithuanian MiG-19s and similar items like that."
Now lets look at the General Rules:-

1. No more than three entries per person.  
2. ANY modification or updating can be done to the kit.  Unless allowed by the specific rules, markings must be historically accurate.  
3. No entry can have placed (i.e. 1st, 2nd or 3rd) at any model contest.  
4. No entry can have been published in any format, paper or electronic, and this includes a review, gallery item  or featured article. This includes being used on kit boxes, published while the contest is on-going, and having won in past contests. Doing so will result in removal from the contest. If you wish to have the article or gallery item removed from a website for the duration of the contest, that is acceptable.
5. Entry cannot be part of a diorama. Only a base is allowed with 2 crew figures max.
6. Only one image is allowed per entry and will be reduced to 640 pixels (on the longest side) if too large. No montages.
Smaller images will not be upsized. All must be in .jpg format.  
If you send in more than one image of a specific model, I will use the first one.
KEEP YOUR FILE SIZES SMALL (around 2-300K or so): I'm not going to download a 1 Meg image file.
7. Awards are fully dependent on what is received. Overseas winners will have awards sent via the least expensive method. Not responsible for items 'lost at sea' when sent surface.  Upgrading of this at winner's expense.
8. Model will stand on its own merits. No description of work done will be included.
Only send one image per model.  
9.  Send all entries and correspondence for this contest to m2cntst@aol.com.
Only e-mails to that address will be considered or get a reply.
10. Entrant can not have won awards in any of the 3 previous M2 contests.
No model entered in any of the 3 previous M2 contests is eligible for this contest.
Once your model wins an award, that model is not eligible in any following M2 contests.
(This is to give others a chance.)
11.  The model entered must  have been built solely by the entrant. No group projects.
12. The image sent in cannot have been digitally enhanced to add in backgrounds, remove stands, or otherwise altered.  

Specifically rules 3 and 4 which in basic term means that if you have displayed your model on this site (What If) or won any contest past or present you cannot enter. In simple words this comp is too restrictive at best. I have no grievance against this site (MM)  in any way so lets be clear on that point but this is just too limited in its scope for our models. So far only 4 entries and how many would have been entered had the rules been a bit more realistic and flexible?
Cheers
Sandy

anthonyp

OK, those rules are a bit more open, which would work towards more participation.  As they were before, they were too limiting (what if I actually wanted to do a Luft 46, but only wanted to do it for Germany?).  They now embrace WHIF and we should embrace any and all entries as the kindred modeling brothers that they are!

Kumbaya....   ;D

Seriously, getting rid of the "No model as for who it was designed for" should increase interest over there (the afore-mentioned Luft 46 camp).  Good luck to them!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man