What If, decommisioned, or little known squadrons

Started by Taiidantomcat, August 18, 2009, 01:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Because they can't all be Jolly Rogers... Or can they?  :cheers:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Taiidantomcat

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

nev

Coming soon to a finished project near you ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Geoff

A personnal fav - hope you don't mind?

Of course in the "British People's Republic" build the crown gets replaced with a red stat.

nev

For me it has to 85 Squadron RAF.  They were my Grandad's last posting of his 35 year RAF career in the mid-late 60s at Binbrook on Canberras.  They were also my dad's first posting, also at Binbrook on Canberras and later moving to West Rayneham in the early 70s. 

They gave up their flying role in '75 to become a Bloodhound SAM squadron, but still remained close to me, based at RAF North Coates just a few miles from where I grew up.  They disbanded for good in '91 :(

The white Octagon in their badge represents the unique shape of the font in a church near their base during WW1.  Mick Mannock is undoutedly the most famous 85 pilot.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Taiidantomcat

Taiidantomcat

VA-35

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Taiidantomcat

sideshowbob9

QuoteThey were my Grandad's last posting ..... at Binbrook on Canberras. They were also my dad's first posting, also at Binbrook on Canberras.....

MRCA. Must. Replace. Canberras. Again!  :thumbsup:

I use this site, which is great for some of the more obscure RAF squadrons. Sure it's been posted before!

http://www.rafweb.org/Org-index.htm

upnorth

Personally I always liked the look of RAF 64 Sqn. markings.

The colour bars in the lattice style was quite eyecatching and the scarab emblem was also pretty cool.

I think they disbanded for good when the Phantom OCU (as that's what they were in the end) was shut down.

I've often though about trying to get a sheet with low vis 64 Sqn. markings from the Phantom era so I could put them on a Typhoon. I think those marking would look great on the Typhoon.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Sauragnmon

Good to see some of the lesser known squadrons done - Great idea, TT! Probably stemmed from the conversation you, Jon and I had about the Jolly Ranchers, didn't it?

I swear, if I ever wind up in the posession of an F-100, I am going to figure out how to navalize it and put it in VF-114 markings - it just BEGS to be done.

I find an appreciation, personally, for the Squadrons that have some real nice high-vis markings.  Low vis they all look rather similar, and the camo can be nice, but there's nothing quite like the dress colours on the squadron - Colour the spine, tip the tails, paint the fins, gimme something Clean and Mean and I'm a happy guy.

Nev - swear to god, if I get a good RAF Bomber concept in my head, I'm doing 85 SQN - those markings on the first Cranberry are just sleek.  Might do them on a Backfire in BPR style, or on a Fullback maybe, that might look sleek, with the crimson and black over NMF or a nice gray.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Geoff

sideshowbob9

^ Nice cranberry!  :thumbsup:

QuoteI swear, if I ever wind up in the posession of an F-100, I am going to figure out how to navalize it and put it in VF-114 markings - it just BEGS to be done.

Cool but I've got dibs on the VF-32 one! Great minds and all that!  ;D

Quote.....get a sheet with low vis 64 Sqn. markings from the Phantom era so I could put them on a Typhoon. I think those marking would look great on the Typhoon.

Also sounds like a great idea!

Sauragnmon

SSBN, VF-32 would look pretty cool on a 100, but I saw 114's logo and it said "That HAS to be put on a F-100 if I get one."
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.