Water Bomber/ Air Tankers alternative aircraft projects

Started by McColm, August 20, 2009, 02:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 24, 2014, 11:06:05 AM
Great work.  Great fit those Darts.  Yes the props in line the cockpit would have caused issues.  Your solution involves much more work, but good call moving the canopy forward.  I love projects that solve these real world issues- well done.     

Thanks, I appreciate your comments ---  When working out where to place the cockpit, I found that if I moved it forward and downwards a bit, I didn't have to mess around reshaping the fuselage to much, there's some points in the two positions which measure the same width.  It just happened where they did, the curve to the top profile line of the fuselage just continued in a natural curve to where the cockpit canopy is now.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on November 24, 2014, 12:03:45 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 24, 2014, 09:52:39 AM
Quote from: Mossie on November 24, 2014, 08:38:34 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 24, 2014, 06:33:40 AM

This is my Sunderland Turbo-Prop Water Bomber

It's a beauty Robert, you need to hurry up and finish it! ;)  If I did one, it'd probably be a simple repaint.

I must admit, that G-reg foxed me, the info I've found seems to suggest the serials I mentioned and I can't find a UK registration.  Either there's something that needs a bit more digging, or the source has mixed up airframes.

Thanks Simon, and yeah -- I need to finish it ---  :banghead:

KB976/CF-AMD was apparently sold to Woodford for restoration, unfortunately, it was damaged when a hanger collapsed (or something like that) and the project was abandoned.  Then a project came up to use the good bits with a Lincoln but it didn't go very far. Most of it is at Kermit Weeks museum now ---

http://www.canadianwings.com/Aircraft/Database/database_detail.php?KB976-6107

Thanks Robert, your link explains the UK serial, she was given the G-BCOH code when she was sold to Scottish owners.  Quite a history for the old girl.

I think I might forward your picture on to CanMilAir if you don't mind and see if Bill would do some decals of her in that scheme. This is something he likes to do as it has a Canadian connection to it.

Mossie

By all means, although it was a pic I found on the web.  Be good to see a decal sheet, might even think about picking one up myself.  Not quite a standard Lanc, would need a bit of conversion work.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

I'm in love with your Sunderland Turbo-Prop Water Bomber! I think moving the cockpit forward actually improves the overall look of the aircraft. What scale is this beauty? You may have requests for copies of those engine castings!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

It's the old 1/72 Airfix kit kerick, the exhaust nozzles though are slightly modified 1/48 Harrier GR5 cold nozzles, I slimmed down the open area slightly, to make it the same as the area of the round nozzle that comes in the Dakota conversion, the props are some Aeroclub Dart props, IIRC for a Viscount

McColm

Great work on the Sunderland.
As to the Airfix hovercraft, I started a page on this site and a Whiffer did add details of where you could buy the kit.
A new hovercraft service in the North West of England will feature a route to Liverpool John Lennon Airport ,Rhyl, Llandudno in North Wales and Wirral. Making it the world's only airport hovercraft shuttle.
The route was discontinued in the 1960s.
Hoverlink (NW) hopes to be operational next year.
Best stock up on some kits myself!

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on November 24, 2014, 12:17:26 PM
By all means, although it was a pic I found on the web.  Be good to see a decal sheet, might even think about picking one up myself.  Not quite a standard Lanc, would need a bit of conversion work.

It seems Bill already knew about it and is on his "to-do-list", can't wait for it as now I have another project on my mind ---  :lol:  Do you think the Lanc' would have had a pannier water tank ?

Captain Canada

Turns out I somehow screwed up my bid on the Shin-Meiwa...and it never went through ! It was all there, only the two pieces that form the lower front hull had been glued together. Somebody got it for $15  :banghead: :banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 25, 2014, 03:46:01 AM
Quote from: Mossie on November 24, 2014, 12:17:26 PM

It seems Bill already knew about it and is on his "to-do-list", can't wait for it as now I have another project on my mind ---  :lol:  Do you think the Lanc' would have had a pannier water tank ?

Probably not, the B-17's didn't and the Privateers and a local fairing for the water release doors, but it wasn't a pannier if I remember correctly.  Saying that, it wouldn't harm for a whiff, use one of Freightdog's Tallboy conversions as a basis for the pannier maybe?

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 25, 2014, 05:48:37 AM
Turns out I somehow screwed up my bid on the Shin-Meiwa...and it never went through ! It was all there, only the two pieces that form the lower front hull had been glued together. Somebody got it for $15  :banghead: :banghead:

Aww, no!  I feel your pain, my few ebay attempts have only ended in disappointment.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 25, 2014, 03:46:01 AM
Do you think the Lanc' would have had a pannier water tank ?

How about using one of those under-belly panniers that converted a Halifax into a Halton? It's about the right width and it could be trimmed in length if the rear end hit the ground in the tail-down position.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Could use that idea on a DC-3/C-47 water bomber conversion.

Mossie

There were a small number of Dakotas used as water bombers.  Seems they never went into full service.
http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-christler_flying_service.htm

The USFS used the Baster BT-67 Turbo-Dak some years later, Draw Decal do a set and Modellwolf offers a resin conversion:
http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=72%2DDC3%2D7
http://www.modellwolf.de/conversion/conversion.html
http://www.modellwolf.de/model/baslerturbo/baslerturbo.html

McColm

Thanks.
Aero Flute use the Avro RJ85 for Firefighting and is one of nine BAe 146/Avro DJs used for aerial firefighting by American and Canadian companies. It can deliver 3,100 US gallons (11,734 litres) of retardant.

Runway ? ...

Filling fixed wing non amphibious tanker without going for a swim.

Those nice chaps at Erickson already invented it for us.
If a CL415 tanks in a 12-second 1,350 ft long run on the water at 70 knots can the old school heavies drag a scoop so slowly?
Hmm... 81mph versus a Lanc landing at +/-95. More thought.

McColm

Thanks for the photo, the Italians use them as well.
Back to the drawing board with the Sea Master, I know V/STOL version.