Water Bomber/ Air Tankers alternative aircraft projects

Started by McColm, August 20, 2009, 02:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Whatever happened to the idea of converting A-10's to water bombers?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

elmayerle

Personally, I'd always wished the LAFD had some A-10 fire bombers they could've used to deal with the fires after the Rodney King verdict.  Though I suspect an engine upgrade wouldn't go amiss.  Given the weight of water, perhaps some structural upgrades, too?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

McColm

The BAe 146/Avro RJ as an aerial tanker/water bomber.
The Saunders-Roe Princess or Twin Princess.

Weaver

Quote from: McColm on October 30, 2009, 08:41:21 AM

Dual-role VVIP/water bomber: drop the Royal Family on the fire........ :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

lancer

Quote from: Weaver on October 30, 2009, 10:59:03 AM

Dual-role VVIP/water bomber: drop the Royal Family on the fire........ :wacko:

I was thinking more along the line of the current government.......Or would all the hot air they spew just cause more trouble?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

B777LR

Quote from: JayBee on October 20, 2009, 01:46:43 PM
Whatever happened to the idea of converting A-10's to water bombers?

I think the USAF found a use for the A-10 ;D

The Rat

Can't believe I missed this thread, flying boats are kind of a 'thing' with me. Dad was a Sunderland pilot so that may explain it. You can find a recent 'what if' water bomber model and write-up here.

A good resource is scalefirebombers.com. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a while but there are still people hanging out there, I was able to get some information from one of them a couple of months back.

I like the idea of a t-prop Sunderland, it's been on my list for years. I might even convert it to 2 engines instead of 4, or that could be a variant. Another possible double-whiff would be a water bomber variant of my first flying boat conversion, article here.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Quote from: B787 on October 31, 2009, 06:05:41 AM

And i give you ;D

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-%28Tronosjet-Maintenance%29/British-Aerospace-BAe-146-200A/1602382/L/&sid=fb143df96fd966bbc6d9181f3cd38eb2

Cheers - hadn't heard of that!  :thumbsup:

Good use for the aircraft: the four engines make it relatively safe for low-level ops and the STOL capability means it can get into little airfields in the back of beyond.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Chris707

upnorth

An idea might be Jetstream 31s if there are any still about.

web photo

Everytime I see that luggage pod slung underneath I think of a fire retardant tank.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Mossie

Holy thread resurrection Batman and all that.  Thought I'd add my own list:

Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk (useful bomb-bay in the in float, never really worked but I'm sure a hammer and welding gun would sort that out)
Dornier Do-228 (probably not, the undercarriage isn't ideally placed)
Dornier Do.28 Skyservant
DH Mosquito
Bristol Beaufighter
Grumman Widgeon
Blackburn Buccaneer?!?  (Why not???)
Fairey Gannet (Anything the Tracker can do...)
Transall C-160
Sukhoi Su-25 (if the A-10 can, why not the Frogfoot?)
Britten Norman Islander (Smoke Jumpers)
Short Skyvan
Short 330/Sherpa (think they've been used for Smoke Jumpers)
Douglas Skyraider (especially the A-1E and other side-by-side seaters)

Going Jons idea of a purpose built Water Bomber, basically a baby CL-415 but without the transport capability?  Grumman Widgeon sized, all water tank.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

But if it was built from marine plywood it would last slightly longer.
The Atlas might work or you could tow a glider filled up with water or fire retardant. Aim for the middle of the fire and release
The  Convair R3Y Tradewind would make a great fire/water bomber.

Mossie

My thoughts for the Mossie would be a separate tank in the bomb bay.  For whiff (not to mention  :ph34r:) purposes, an unobtainium lining would sort out any problems with leaks and condensation. :thumbsup:

I think the Jetstream mentioned earlier would be an excellent platform for Air Attack.

Short Shetland would be good, a monster flying boat like the Martin Mars. Shame there's no model.  I agree with the Tradewind.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.