Water Bomber/ Air Tankers alternative aircraft projects

Started by McColm, August 20, 2009, 02:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Some good ideas there Mossie ! Especially the Gannet idea !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

The Gannet idea is one that's been festering in my warped mind for a while now.  My idea was the Gannet went into Canadian service instead of the Tracker and Conair and others bought up the old airframes and converted them to Water Bombers.  It's one I've been meaning to do for ages and I'm hoping that it's next in line after the Telford show in November.  It could even be the same airframe as your RCN Gannet!

Conair Firebird maybe....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

The trend these days are for something bigger, the fire-bomber fraternity have discovered that while smaller aircraft can get in and out of tight places, the load isn't big enough to knock down some of these huge fires that we have been experiencing lately.  But when a big bomber comes along the fires get knocked down relatively quickly.  Which is why we're seeing DC-10s and 747s being converted.  There are even some BAE 146s being converted --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Must buy an A380 in 1/144 scale and convert. One forward and rear weapons bay or one large tank in the lower deck with sluces to direct the water/retardant.
Whilst the Super Guppy and the Beluga may not be economical to use as water bombers their internal capacity outweighs those of the C-5 Galaxy and An-124.
Airbus is looking for a Mega Guppy to supersede the Beluga.

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on October 22, 2014, 01:21:46 PM
Whilst the Super Guppy and the Beluga may not be economical to use as water bombers their internal capacity outweighs those of the C-5 Galaxy and An-124.

You have to be joking --- just where are you getting your info from   :unsure:

McColm

Jets 2014.
The main deck cargo volume of the Beluga is greater than both the C-5 and An-124, its weight carrying capabilities are not as good. It can carry a maximum of 47 tonnes of cargo compared to 122.5 tonnes (C-5) and 160 tonnes (An-124).
As I said it is the volume carried not bulk. As it can carry a complete set of A340 wings or two pairs of wings for the A320.
They can carry two complete NH90 helicopters and a Eurocopter Tiger.

kitnut617

Volume is a bit different to weight, having loads of volume doesn't help with weight.  Ever tried carrying a full jerry can very far ? or a 5 gallon bottle full of water ?

famvburg

I think most of the air tankers use external tanks now anyway. Internal volume means little or nothing.

McColm

In the Cub Scouts, Stokepogdes. The water tap was half a mile away from camp. With no trolleys the walk back with a full jerry can put hairs on my chest!

Mossie

Blohm & Voss Bv.222.  It's often said that two were flown in the US.  Lets say they survived, they'd make wonderful water bombers. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

The Bv222 would make a great water bomber, so too would the Myasishchev VM-T oversized cargo transporter based on the M-4 Bison bomber. The load is carried on struts above the fuselage. An oversized tank could be fitted and plumbed into the weapons bay to be released over the fire.

Mossie

Quote from: Mossie on October 21, 2014, 10:37:58 AM
Going Jons idea of a purpose built Water Bomber, basically a baby CL-415 but without the transport capability?  Grumman Widgeon sized, all water tank.

I found a surprising source for this.  I picked up a Zvezda '1/100' Lil' Dipper:
http://www.model-making.eu/products/Disney-PLANES-2-Lil-Dipper.html

She looks quite like a Grumman Goose.  I figured if you replaced the cartoon eyes with a canopy, swap the engines for something real-world and give her suitable decals, you might have something credible-ish?
Otherwise, I'd be quite happy to have Lil sat on my display shelf! :party:

JayBee

Looks like a cartoon version of a McKinnon Turbo Goose.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kerick

That would be cool!
Lots of possibilities from the planes movies.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

loupgarou

I bought one with this idea in mind, but the fuselage is VERY deep, and the wings too small.
Would need a lot of work to obtain something pretty.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.