Water Bomber/ Air Tankers alternative aircraft projects

Started by McColm, August 20, 2009, 02:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Kit, please,        WHAT IF    they did not have to be?

:rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Mossie

Think you're right Jim.   Apart from being a bit tubbier in the fuselage and the engines Lil is pretty much a Goose.

K, the Planes kits definitely have plenty of scope for whiffing.  Most of them are close enough to the real thing, but different enough to use as a basis for something else.

Bravo particularly, he's clearly a Super Bug, but could be a scaled down to a coin aircraft or something. Looking at his sprues it shouldn't be too difficult to add a cockpit in.
http://www.model-making.eu/products/Bravo-Snap-Fit-Model-Kit.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2014, 12:53:24 PM
Quote from: Mossie on November 17, 2014, 07:28:03 AM

Shouldn't the tip floats be down if she's landing or taking off?  ;D
Maybe she's just scooping water.
There is a wide range of subjects in these Planes series. Could be fun! (Like I need more projects!)
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Quote from: Mossie on October 22, 2014, 01:22:53 AM
The Gannet idea is one that's been festering in my warped mind for a while now.  My idea was the Gannet went into Canadian service instead of the Tracker and Conair and others bought up the old airframes and converted them to Water Bombers.  It's one I've been meaning to do for ages and I'm hoping that it's next in line after the Telford show in November.  It could even be the same airframe as your RCN Gannet!

Conair Firebird maybe....

I like it !

:cheers: :tornado: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

It's quite likely to be next now as I picked up some suitable decals from the Telford show.  I've got a definite water bomber thing going on at the mo, and picked up a few kits that might make for good whiffs.

Picked up/have in the stash:
Fairey Gannet
Breguet Atlantic
Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk
De Havilland Mosquito
Fairchild Republic A-10

Plus some real world:
Canadair CL-415
Fokker F27 Friendship
Bell AH-1S Cobra

JayBee

I have had a thought in my head for some time.
After building the SALSA

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25551.0/highlight,salsa.html

I was left with a Twin Otter with no u/c, yes I know the kit comes with floats, but the u/c legs were used in the SALSA.

So my brain eventually came up with an amphibious Twotter with side sponsons (think Dornier Do-18) but with the main u/c retracting into said sponsons.

The STOL performance would make it great for getting into, and out off, small lakes.

:wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

McColm

A stretched Atlantic is possible using two of the Revell 1/72 kits. As the forward section of the fuselage is separate from the cockpit.
Even dare I say the Mach2 kit. Okay it has its faults (too many to list!) and you would need to change the engines and cut off the cockpit. You could use the spare parts of the second Revell kit to make something decent.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on November 17, 2014, 01:48:50 PM

Guys, she's scooping!

What ever she's doing she looks relaxed enough  ;D

Nothing wrong with those engines IMHO by the way
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: JayBee on November 18, 2014, 06:12:50 AM
I have had a thought in my head for some time.
After building the SALSA

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25551.0/highlight,salsa.html

I was left with a Twin Otter with no u/c, yes I know the kit comes with floats, but the u/c legs were used in the SALSA.

So my brain eventually came up with an amphibious Twotter with side sponsons (think Dornier Do-18) but with the main u/c retracting into said sponsons.

The STOL performance would make it great for getting into, and out off, small lakes.

:wacko:

Different, and might turn a few heads compared to the real amphibious Twotters.

Mossie

Quote from: loupgarou on November 17, 2014, 12:38:45 PM
I bought one with this idea in mind, but the fuselage is VERY deep, and the wings too small.
Would need a lot of work to obtain something pretty.

Yeah, I like the deep fuselage.  I compared it to my CL-215 and it's similar in depth.  The wings seems about right (to me, anyway) for the total length, smaller than most float planes but then most have a patrol role.

Pretty isn't my goal, but function over form. :thumbsup:  The main thing for me is the role I saw it in, a compact competitor to the CL-215 and Lil looks a bit antiquated, still, might work out.  I actually like her as she is though, and might just build her as a shelf guard. :smiley:

Captain Canada

I put a bid on a started Hasegawa Sin Meiwa PS-2 on Ebay.....hopefully I get it ! Always wanted one....no sure what to do but probably a long-range SAR bird, either RCAF or RCN. Or maybe a big yellow water bomber. How about adding the cockpit section from CL-215/415 and squaring things up a bit and maybe putting the engines over the wing ? CL-815 kind of thing É

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Fingers crossed for you. :thumbsup: I nearly got one at Telford for a good price, but had to let go, if I got everything on my list I would have been using the kit boxes as bedding!  I also let an Italeri Sunderland go and a Heller Connie, both withe idea of turning them into water bombers.

IIRC the Shin Meiwa prototype was used for water bombing trials so a good choice for whiffing.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on November 22, 2014, 12:04:05 PM
I also let an Italeri Sunderland go and a Heller Connie, both withe idea of turning them into water bombers.

IIRC the Shin Meiwa prototype was used for water bombing trials so a good choice for whiffing.

In Canada, Sunderlands were considered too --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike