Water Bomber/ Air Tankers alternative aircraft projects

Started by McColm, August 20, 2009, 02:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The Shin Meiwa works well with four RR Griffons. So does the Connie and Sunderland.

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 22, 2014, 12:20:55 PM
Quote from: Mossie on November 22, 2014, 12:04:05 PM
I also let an Italeri Sunderland go and a Heller Connie, both withe idea of turning them into water bombers.

IIRC the Shin Meiwa prototype was used for water bombing trials so a good choice for whiffing.

In Canada, Sunderlands were considered too --

I think I might just have to pick up a Sunderland...

Has the Lanc been mentioned?   KB976/CF-AMD, it received a new paintjob and it's conversion was started, but for whatever reason never went into service.  I think it's still preserved.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Great pic of the Lanc, I thought the Shackleton would be worth Whiffing. Possible Stirling, Halifax and Wellington.

Runway ? ...

The Lank pic brought to mind the gondola on HP's Halton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H.P._Halifax_VIII_G-AKEC_LAC_Ringway_18.02.50_edited-2.jpg
Think anyone would be brave enough to use a waterscoop on one ?

Mossie

Probably not.  As far as I know, scoops have only been used on flying boats and floatplanes.  I guess if you were going to try and scoop from a non-float equipped aircraft, you'd need a high wing at least, the Halibags props would probably dip in the water.  It's probably too hazardous, if you get the slightest wobble, momentary drop in power or lift then you're in the drink.  At least with floats, you've got a good chance of coming to a rest.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on November 24, 2014, 02:39:27 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 22, 2014, 12:20:55 PM

In Canada, Sunderlands were considered too --

I think I might just have to pick up a Sunderland...

This is my Sunderland Turbo-Prop Water Bomber

It will be an amphibian too

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

I had never seen that Lanc pic before Mossie ! Looks like it's got a G-reg on her in the pic ? Off to look around the net we go.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Runway ? ...

Quote from: McColm on August 21, 2009, 01:54:36 AM
but every time the Airfix kit of the SNR-4 comes up for sale someone always puts in a higher bid.
That seems to be way off topic unless you're going all Gerry Anderson on the subject.
If you want one I can fix you up.
PM inbound. 

Runway ? ...

Quote from: Mossie on November 24, 2014, 04:50:43 AM
Probably not.  As far as I know, scoops have only been used on flying boats and floatplanes.  I guess if you were going to try and scoop from a non-float equipped aircraft, you'd need a high wing at least, the Halibags props would probably dip in the water.  It's probably too hazardous, if you get the slightest wobble, momentary drop in power or lift then you're in the drink.  At least with floats, you've got a good chance of coming to a rest.
I think I have a method, a forward deployed scoop arm but the physics have to be right and I haven't done that stuff for about thirty years.
As Deep Thought once said "I'll have to think about it".

sandiego89

[/quote]

Wow Kitnut, love the Sunderland. :thumbsup:  Very brave indeed to put the wheels on there.  Great work. What engines are those? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 24, 2014, 08:10:19 AM
Wow Kitnut, love the Sunderland. :thumbsup:  Very brave indeed to put the wheels on there.  Great work. What engines are those?  

They're modified Dart Dakota nacelles, although the exhaust outlet is still at the same dimension from the front of the nacelle, I rotated it to exit out the top instead of out the lower side.  The version of Dart used on the Dakotas has very similar hp to the R-1830's, and there was a version of Sunderland which was to have the R-1830's, so it was a natural procession to the Darts. The nacelles are of the same diameter as the Sunderlands too.

After I modified a nacelle I then made some castings of it.

This is how the exhaust exits

As you can see in this pic, the propeller is now dead in line with the cockpit, which wouldn't do in the real world. So I moved the whole cockpit and canopy forward, the other pics show how much I moved it.

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 24, 2014, 06:33:40 AM

It's a beauty Robert, you need to hurry up and finish it! ;)  If I did one, it'd probably be a simple repaint.

Quote from: Runway ? ... on November 24, 2014, 08:06:21 AM
I think I have a method, a forward deployed scoop arm but the physics have to be right and I haven't done that stuff for about thirty years.
As Deep Thought once said "I'll have to think about it".

Sounds good, would be a useful capability for non-amphibious aircraft and might rival them, possibly helicopters too.

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 24, 2014, 07:11:20 AM
I had never seen that Lanc pic before Mossie ! Looks like it's got a G-reg on her in the pic ? Off to look around the net we go.....

:cheers:

She's a beauty isn't she, love the yellow lightning stripe.  I must admit, that G-reg foxed me, the info I've found seems to suggest the serials I mentioned and I can't find a UK registration.  Either there's something that needs a bit more digging, or the source has mixed up airframes.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on November 24, 2014, 08:38:34 AM

It's a beauty Robert, you need to hurry up and finish it! ;)  If I did one, it'd probably be a simple repaint.

I must admit, that G-reg foxed me, the info I've found seems to suggest the serials I mentioned and I can't find a UK registration.  Either there's something that needs a bit more digging, or the source has mixed up airframes.

Thanks Simon, and yeah -- I need to finish it ---  :banghead:

KB976/CF-AMD was apparently sold to Woodford for restoration, unfortunately, it was damaged when a hanger collapsed (or something like that) and the project was abandoned.  Then a project came up to use the good bits with a Lincoln but it didn't go very far. Most of it is at Kermit Weeks museum now ---

http://www.canadianwings.com/Aircraft/Database/database_detail.php?KB976-6107

sandiego89

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 24, 2014, 08:22:49 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on November 24, 2014, 08:10:19 AM

They're modified Dart Dakota nacelles, although the exhaust outlet is still at the same dimension from the front of the nacelle, I rotated it to exit out the top instead of out the lower side.  The version of Dart used on the Dakotas has very similar hp to the R-1830's, and there was a version of Sunderland which was to have the R-1830's, so it was a natural procession to the Darts. The nacelles are of the same diameter as the Sunderlands too.

After I modified a nacelle I then made some castings of it.

As you can see in this pic, the propeller is now dead in line with the cockpit, which wouldn't do in the real world. So I moved the whole cockpit and canopy forward, the other pics show how much I moved it.

Great work.  Great fit those Darts.  Yes the props in line the cockpit would have caused issues.  Your solution involves much more work, but good call moving the canopy forward.  I love projects that solve these real world issues- well done.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 24, 2014, 09:52:39 AM
Quote from: Mossie on November 24, 2014, 08:38:34 AM

It's a beauty Robert, you need to hurry up and finish it! ;)  If I did one, it'd probably be a simple repaint.

I must admit, that G-reg foxed me, the info I've found seems to suggest the serials I mentioned and I can't find a UK registration.  Either there's something that needs a bit more digging, or the source has mixed up airframes.

Thanks Simon, and yeah -- I need to finish it ---  :banghead:

KB976/CF-AMD was apparently sold to Woodford for restoration, unfortunately, it was damaged when a hanger collapsed (or something like that) and the project was abandoned.  Then a project came up to use the good bits with a Lincoln but it didn't go very far. Most of it is at Kermit Weeks museum now ---

http://www.canadianwings.com/Aircraft/Database/database_detail.php?KB976-6107

Thanks Robert, your link explains the UK serial, she was given the G-BCOH code when she was sold to Scottish owners.  Quite a history for the old girl.