Old Small Arms Revived...... With Some Tweaks

Started by dy031101, August 20, 2009, 09:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrmshadow

Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

dy031101

To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Henry Yeh

Bear in mind that most anti-materiel rifles (& more importantly, ammo) have an abysmal accuracy of 2 MOA or greater, they are really stealthy direct-fire light artillery, not sniper rifles. The record Canadian kill in Afghanistan was achieved after multiple shots. Most sub-MOA rifles are still chambered in .308 (7.62x52mm) or .338 Lapua, & lesser number of .300 WinMag, with corresponding match-grade ammo. COTS kits are available to turn most bolt-action rifles into tactical precision rifles at reasonable costs. GA Precision can do so for under $2000, or about 1/2 the cost of a brand-new AI AWP (or 1/3 the cost of the absolutely sub-standard M24). Even the over-hyped & over-priced McMillan stocks cost less than $500 each.
The biggest problem with old rifles is the lack of detachable magazines. Hand loading single rounds into fixed integral magazine is not only time consuming, the repetitive movement can also compromise stealth. It's also a great way to introduce dirt into the chamber. After combat lesson in the Balkans, Afghanistan, & Iraq, the US has introduced detachable magazines on all of their sniper rifles: M24A2, M40A3, & M110. Sadly, no detachable mag modifications are available for older Mauser actions, as the market for tactical Mauser is almost non-exitent (not counting newly-built "modified" Mauser actions like CZ). For now, Remington 700 action is the lead candidate for custom sniper rifles.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: dragon on August 24, 2009, 10:39:22 PM
<...> not aesthetically pleasing (admitedly not usually a consideration when choosing a rifle). <...>

Well, that's what you say. ;) A friend of ours paid several hundred EUR to get the plastic shaft of his new Blaser R93 looking like a wooden shaft and not the usual olive or black.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

deathjester

Does anyone know about the Boy's anti tank rifle?  Surely that would be a marvelous heavy sniping/anti material weapon....? 

rickshaw

Quote from: deathjester on August 29, 2009, 11:24:46 AM
Does anyone know about the Boy's anti tank rifle?  Surely that would be a marvelous heavy sniping/anti material weapon....? 

It had a kick like a mule, as my father once related to me.  The Boys was used occasionally late in the war for anti-sniping work (there are pictures of it mounted on various universal carriers from NW Europe).  However, it wasn't as accurate as a modern .50cal rifle. 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 20, 2009, 03:07:18 PM
Self-winding wheellocks perhaps?  :drink:

Recently I've been wondering...... can a wheel-lock be produced for metal cartridges?

====================

To-do list here

Just call me Ray

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on October 07, 2009, 02:40:47 PM
Recently I've been wondering...... can a wheel-lock be produced for metal cartridges?
Well the wheel-lock is an external ignition system, its just a fancy way of making sparks, so if
you have metallic cartridges why not just include your ignition system in the cartridge?

Yes, I know a few weapons used a metallic cartridge and external ignition, the Burnside carbine for example (I own one),
however these all used some sort of cap or pellet ignition system, not loose powder and a spark.

Sauragnmon

I always thought it might not be a useful modernization to the classic bolt action rifles would be a detatchable box magazine instead of the standard stripper clip.  That and perhaps a double-stack magazine... imagine the Mad Minute with a double-stack detatchable box mag...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

DarrenP

Instead of the LSW British army should have Converted the Bren /L4 to 5.56 it was ergonomically better laid out than the L86 LSW

Weaver

Quote from: DarrenP on October 28, 2009, 03:53:04 AM
Instead of the LSW British army should have Converted the Bren /L4 to 5.56 it was ergonomically better laid out than the L86 LSW

To hell with it, they should have just kept/re-made the L4s in 7.62mm: excellent light-weight (relatively) firepower supplement for anybody who doesn't want to carry a GPMG.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

PanzerWulff

LOL the Thompson of DOOM.Another weapon based on the thompson was the ALIENS M-41A pulse rifle which was made using working Thompsons and remington pump shotguns for the grenade launchers

more herehttp://props.steinschneider.com/pulser/printro.htm
"Panzer
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

dy031101

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 07, 2009, 05:39:06 PM
Well the wheel-lock is an external ignition system, its just a fancy way of making sparks, so if
you have metallic cartridges why not just include your ignition system in the cartridge?

Fair enough...... but at least, is a breech-loading wheel-lock rifle possible?

====================

To-do list here