Old Small Arms Revived...... With Some Tweaks

Started by dy031101, August 20, 2009, 09:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Quote from: Sauragnmon on March 12, 2010, 07:37:25 PM
 I'm betting that Swedish Mauser round would punch through armor quite nicely, with a sleek yet heavy round like that - all the mass on a small, sleek tapered round.

Also very accurate  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

apophenia

Quote from: Sauragnmon on March 12, 2010, 07:37:25 PM
... I've heard a lot of positive on the Grendel, didn't know it was similar length to the AK cartridge though...

Saura: Grendel is basically what you'd get if you wanted to design the 6.8mm SPC but had to start by reworking AK brass (okay ... steel  ;D). It fits in the AK mag but picks up some of that Swedish 6.5 accuracy Aircav mentioned.

pyro-manic

I found this a few years back, and just re-discovered the image on an old hard drive. I think it's pretty nifty.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

dy031101

I recently came across a shop that offers to restore a few antique automatic/revolver handguns, which include Browning HP and its Canadian-made GP-35 copy.  I know at least the latter has provisions for a stock holster...... neat stuff.

I tend to lean a bit in favour with opinions made on the Broomhandle thread that modding the Broomhandle risk destroying the historical value of it.  What about the GP-35 (like trying to see if Lasergrip can be made to fit, or other custom jobs that one might think about for a Browning HP)?

Or would it actually be practically and morally easier to come up with a stock holster for the current-production Browning HP?  ;D
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

dragon

I own a modern Hi-Power.  It is a Browning Hi-Power Practical (satin black slide, satin silver frame, chrome barrel, Pachmayr Rubber grips) in .40 S&W.  I would not want to put a stock on it, unless it was a folder type stock that was created for the fully automatic Beretta created for Italian anti-terror forces.  Now what I would like done to it would be making a Longslide out of it and adding a laser sight.   :thumbsup:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

dy031101

Well different ideas for a PDW I guess (although we both want a laser sight on it  ;D).

=================================

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/srss-bulldog-762/

SRSS Bulldog kit to convert M14/M1A into a bullpup rifle...... allegedly adopted by Philippine military as well.

I wonder if you can put a M21 or M25 into it.

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46111&start=0

Sounds like someone is trying to turn his trashed SMLE into a De Lisle carbine replica and included a reference to show people what he has in mind......

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

This is not necessarily a vintage small arms...... but WTH, I was what-ifing a bullpup M25......

Supposedly devised to make a California-legal platform for M16/AR15 upper receivers.

I probably wouldn't find it asthetically outstanding...... although I figured that a Mk 12 receiver might make quite a combination.  :wacko:

====================

To-do list here

jemhouston

Looks like a cross between a Mini-14 & M-16.

dy031101

Some companies offer conversions of Colt 1851 Navy and its derivative designs to modern metallic cartridges.

I wonder, in terms of the so-called "Navy" models, how wide a variety of .38 Special loads (+P?  +P+?) it covers.

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

I was told that for blackpower revolvers, lead bullets are the standard since the gun rifling isn't meant to grip the harder metals of jacketed rounds used in smokeless powder firearms.

Now I got that answer from a question motivated by early revolvers, which used seperate bullet and blackpowder load or paper cartridges...... is the above statement equally applicable to metallic blackpowder cartridges?  Or can I, for example, take the bullet of a .44 Special (a smokeless) and outfit it to a .44 Russian (a blackpowder)?

Thanks in advance.

====================

To-do list here

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on October 08, 2010, 03:18:05 PM
I was told that for blackpower revolvers, lead bullets are the standard since the gun rifling isn't meant to grip the harder metals of jacketed rounds used in smokeless powder firearms.

Now I got that answer from a question motivated by early revolvers, which used seperate bullet and blackpowder load or paper cartridges...... is the above statement equally applicable to metallic blackpowder cartridges?  Or can I, for example, take the bullet of a .44 Special (a smokeless) and outfit it to a .44 Russian (a blackpowder)?

Thanks in advance.

Lead was used because it was cheap and easily malleable.  Most modern ammunition is copper-jacketed because its cheap, easily malleable and non-poisonous to handle.   Most blackpowder weapons which were muzzleloaders were smoothbore (or used tricks like the Minie' Ball to grip the rifling) because of the problems of ramming something very close fitting down a rifled barrel.  Revolvers continued to use lead ball in the early days were lead because of the first reason.   Traditionalists still use lead ball, non-traditionalists don't, they use copper-jackets bullets.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on October 08, 2010, 07:29:16 PM

Most modern ammunition is copper-jacketed because its cheap, easily malleable and non-poisonous to handle. 

Am I the only one who finds that statement "Pythonesque" ??  :wacko: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Aircav

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 09, 2010, 02:32:19 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on October 08, 2010, 07:29:16 PM

Most modern ammunition is copper-jacketed because its cheap, easily malleable and non-poisonous to handle. 

Am I the only one who finds that statement "Pythonesque" ??  :wacko: ;D

Most modern ammunition is copper jacketed for two reasons,

1), You can only push a lead bullet up to a curtain speed and after that it starts to strip, the bullet can't spin fast enough for the twist rate and instead of it spinning the rifling acts as a cutter and leads up the barrel.
2) The Hague Convention of 1899 says you are suppose to use copper jacketed bullet on the enemy otherwise its unfair.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

NARSES2

Quote from: Aircav on October 09, 2010, 10:25:09 AM
2) The Hague Convention of 1899 says you are suppose to use copper jacketed bullet on the enemy otherwise its unfair.

Ah, obviously Python were inspired by the Hague Convention  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.