Oil wash

Started by JayBee, August 22, 2009, 06:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

I have heard several people mention using "Oil wash" for panel lines.
What exactly is it?
I have been trying to use watered down drawing ink for this purpose, but I am getting very poor results.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

lancer

At least you can have a bash at it. I haven't got as clue how to do even the most basic of weathering or washes, as much as I'd like to
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ed S

An "Oil Wash" is basically a wash using thinned artist's oil paint.  I strongly suggest you lay down a coat of "Future" (or Klear or whatever it's called where you are) on the painted and decaled model.  You mix some artists oil paints, the kind in the tubes.  I would start with a dark brown/gray mix.  A good color to start with is "Paynes Gray" and adjust to suit your tastes. Thin this with solvents (mineral spirits or turpenoid) and apply it to the model.  It will flow into the cracks, corners, and along scribed panel lines.  Since the oil paints take a while to dry and fully cure, you can easily wipe off the excess with a Q-tip dampened with more solvent.  The coat of Future helps keep the solvent from attacking the underlying paints.

HTH

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

JayBee

Thanks Ed, that gives me somewhere to start with.
Thanks again.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!