Question - USAF/E in Finland

Started by Geoff, August 25, 2009, 11:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Quote from: upnorth on September 05, 2009, 01:29:28 AM
Quote from: nev on September 05, 2009, 01:15:05 AM
Yeah, definately go for it in the NMF era, even into the early 60s with th stylish light grey camo.  I think once you get to SEA camo it would look a bit silly.

Actually, given the harsher Nordic climate and corrosion concerns, would aluminum laquer finish or silver paint not be more appropriate than NMF in the pre Air Defence Grey days?

When I say NMF, I am referring to both unpainted and silver painted. 
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

TsrJoe

just a thought, for a 'high visibility' arctic red and lt. grey finish scheme, the wings (and poss even the nose) could stil be so marked as a sortv theatre standard, with the tail in the 'flag' marking as described ?

i know the F.102's carried such 'arctic' markings, i dont think the F.4C's did tho (at least the ones that used to visit the UK. for airshows) so possibly the red trim was a period phase the USAF. went through? eg, nat metal/silver with red trim earlier types, then the lt. grey with red, then plain lt. grey and currently ??? ('alaskan aggressor' scheme?)

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Geoff

Hi Joe,
Sorry I have had computer probs.
The uncammoed a/c had a red tail with the arctic markings - so I am planning a red area to comply with the regs, but add a flag in the middle of the tail. Or alternativly at the tip of the tail as the red ends about 2/3rds up.

The cammoed F-4's would not carry the arctic red so I have more of a free hand with them.

There is a arctic aggressor scheme but its fairly modern as I have only seen it on F-16's LOL.

nev

No, but remember when the USAF had their F-5 Aggressors in Europe (Upper Heyford?  Bentwaters?  Someone throw me a frickin bone here),   maybe we could have a 70s/80s arctic aggressor look?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Geoff

Yes I like that - maybe with white areas over the "Grape" scheme? (I think thats what it was called). Or the Rev F-5E has a scheme called "The Old Blue Scheme" - Hmmm

TsrJoe

527th TFTAS used to be based at Alconbury, i used to really enjoy seeing their F.5E aircraft at Prestwick/Leuchars air shows back in ye olde days all seemingly in differing schemes

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

Geoff