Special Hobby

Started by Weaver, August 28, 2009, 01:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Does that look as if there's a two seater option as well?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2017, 12:54:21 AM

Yes, and at least one of the recce noses. Looks like they're going for a Heller-style build-all-the-versions-from-one-kit style approach, which makes sense with the Viggen.

One curiosity I noticed: in the blurb at the bottom, it says there are different canards for the fighter and attack versions: I wasn't aware that any of the versions had different canards... :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 13, 2017, 10:29:10 PM
About bloody time!   :party:  :party:  :party:

Just hope that we'll see more Special Hobby rather than Tarangus releases of this. Easier on the wallet.  :mellow: And, boy, is my wallet going to take a beating!  :wacko:

Second that. And hopefully a new/decent Saab 35 kit in 1:72 surfaces in the future, too, and also in a Heller-esque "build all versions from one kit" (just like the Heller kit).

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on October 14, 2017, 01:38:34 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2017, 12:54:21 AM

Yes, and at least one of the recce noses. Looks like they're going for a Heller-style build-all-the-versions-from-one-kit style approach, which makes sense with the Viggen.

One curiosity I noticed: in the blurb at the bottom, it says there are different canards for the fighter and attack versions: I wasn't aware that any of the versions had different canards... :unsure:

Ah yes, that rings bells.

My employers supplied SAAB with the first airframe test rig for the Viggen before I joined up, but then we upgraded it for the JA37 fighter version and I did that job. There was a totally different arrangement of the whiffletrees for the canards and the main wing for the JA as opposed to those for the AJ, but I never questioned why that was, I just did it.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

I know the JA had a beefed up airframe to take more Gs, I just didn't think it was externally different, other than using the two-seater's fin.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

IIRC there were different loading points on the JA, as we had to supply two extra actuators for the rig. Would they have been on the fuselage for A2A missiles?

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Just been looking at some books on the Viggen. The JA had an extra elevon actuator per side (4 rather than 3) on the wings and a 4" stretch amidships for the modified engine, but I still see no sign of a difference in the canards. It didn't have any more pylons than the AJ version either (4 wing, 3 fuselage).

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

There may have been extra loads on the canards for the JA, thus the change in loading pattern, but it may not have changed the visual appearance. It'll be interesting to see what the differences are on the model.

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Maybe the canards' control surfaces had more deflection in the JA and that affects the way the kit's designed in some way? It does say that it has separate surfaces.

- Indiana Jones

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Weaver on October 14, 2017, 10:13:07 AM
Maybe the canards' control surfaces had more deflection in the JA and that affects the way the kit's designed in some way? It does say that it has separate surfaces.
The (non-moving) canards did not have control surfaces as such, they had flaps. Srsly.

I'm dreading this, I have a veritable pile of Hellers, two Mbox kits and even one WIP Airfix, so I guess I'm doomed to bite the bullet.

PR19_Kit

Ah yes, the canard flaps deflect to match the elevons on the main wing, and as I recall they both move together so they only command pitch response. We had to increase the longitudinal loads on those flaps, caused by drag, as they went down in increments, and pretty darn complicated it was too.

But that was in the late 70s before things like that were done in software.

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Kit, I'm beginning to wonder if there is any Hydraulic engineersing project on the planet that you havent had an involvement in  ;D ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on October 14, 2017, 03:14:29 PM

Kit, I'm beginning to wonder if there is any Hydraulic engineersing project on the planet that you havent had an involvement in  ;D ;D

Not so much just hydraulic, more servo controlled testing systems really, the majority of which were hydraulic.

But I was with MTS Systems for 30 years and we were the primary supplier of such stuff worldwide and I covered a hefty area of the world working for them, so it's a good bet I had my finger in many of such pies.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: Snowtrooper on October 14, 2017, 02:10:26 PM
Quote from: Weaver on October 14, 2017, 10:13:07 AM
The (non-moving) canards did not have control surfaces as such, they had flaps. Srsly.

I'm dreading this, I have a veritable pile of Hellers, two Mbox kits and even one WIP Airfix, so I guess I'm doomed to bite the bullet.

Well a flap is a control surface in a sense.... ;)

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Well, the curse of the rare/vac-form kit has struck again. Shortly after I've paid more than I usually would for a Huma Do.27, Special Hobby have announced a kit of it:

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/dornier-do-27-german-spanish-and-belgian-service-1-72.html?cur=1&force_sid=mtl1iorpq4ptruggu4gh68ea33&lang=1&redirected=1

This has GOT to be a favorite for all sorts of bush plane and COIN-type scenrios... :wub: :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones