Special Hobby

Started by Weaver, August 28, 2009, 01:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

It's always best to take CAD renders with a grain-of-salt as what shows depends on which
individual models are pulled in to produce the render. When I worked 787 Interiors Design
I could go into the model tree and create a render showing all of the possible configurations;
seating plans, monument (lav, galley etc.) placement, wiring, tubing etc. etc. in one image.

As you might guess it was mess to look at.  ;D :wacko:

A good current example of kit renders is the new Eduard A6M2 Model 21, Pearl Harbor edition.

Some reacted by saying it's the wrong version for Pearl because the render shows the long
barrel 20mm cannon, note this is one render looking from above, in another render, from a
different angle these incorrect barrels appear to be attached half way up the landing gear.
Which makes it pretty obvious that the render has had a model from a different version pulled
into the render.
;)
One of the folks from Eduard pointed this is out, yet a couple people kept yammering about
the kit being wrong.
:rolleyes:

There have been various illustrations of a militarized 100P, supposedly numbered 110P,
most of which just show the 100P in French camouflage with two 20mm cannon added, either
in or under each wing, and still retaining the twin Straight-8s and contra-props arrangement.
This would have been extremely unlikely as the powerplant/prop arrangement would have
been too finicky and the wings aren't big enough to carry two cannon + ammo, mounting
cannon under the wings would be disastrous from the drag standpoint. The airframe was
tiny with minimal fuel capacity, the tanks were in the wings which makes the "guns in the
wings" scenario a non-starter. The fuselage was filled up with the prop drive shafts & gearbox,
the cockpit, the engines and the cooling system.

100P overlaid to scale on a P-39.

It would take a lot of work and what you'd probably end up with is something along the lines
of the Caudron racer derived fighters: an air-cooled engine driving a single prop and a couple
of MGs as armament. In other words another light fighter not worth the time and effort.

KiwiZac

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 21, 2021, 03:42:09 PM
100P overlaid to scale on a P-39.

It would take a lot of work and what you'd probably end up with is something along the lines
of the Caudron racer derived fighters: an air-cooled engine driving a single prop and a couple
of MGs as armament. In other words another light fighter not worth the time and effort.
Having recently watched a lot of YouTube videos about Scotty Wilson's replica, I learned just how small the Bugatti is. Reminiscent of the Hughes H-1: let's get an engine/s and pilot up there, nothing extra.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

So there is possibly room under the drive shafts for a nose wheel?
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on October 22, 2021, 03:44:06 AM
So there is possibly room under the drive shafts for a nose wheel?
;)

Nope, the Pilot sits on the inside of the under fuselage with a drive shaft from each engine on each side of him and they don't leave much space for him either, certainly no space even for an undercarriage leg or a wheel.

Now if the diameter of the fuselage was slightly larger....

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Realistically, you'd have to scale the whole thing up to make it a fighter.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Special Hobby have sent out the following e-mail to all their registered customers:

"Dear customers,

The second week of the popular DOZEN event was supposed to end this Sunday. Unfortunately, with what is happening in 21st century Ukraine, so close to the Czech Republic, we have to stop the event now.

We decided to help Ukraine who is so bravely defending against unprovoked aggression. And with your help we can all do our part in supporting Ukraine. Starting midnight on Saturday March 5 until midnight on Sunday March 13, 2022, we will sell all our products (Special Hobby and CMK) with a 10% discount – which means that all registered customers get a 20% discount in total. We will send 25% of each sold kit to the Embassy of Ukraine in Prague.

We hope many of you will join us in helping Ukraine to defend their freedom. We will of course inform you of the final sum and we will post a proof of the bank transfer to the account of the Embassy of Ukraine here in Prague.

Thank you.

Special Hobby"
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Reminder that this special sale ends at midnight tomorrow.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Reminder that this sale ends at midnight tonight.

I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday to cheer myself up. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

DogfighterZen

Still got my small order in before midnight for a Spitfire Mk.21. Lots of useful stuff in those boxes. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Weaver

E-mail from Special Hobby:

"Dear customers,
We would love to thank everyone who joined our event for the support of Ukraine (March 5 – March 13, 2022, on our website).
We are proud to say that thanks to you and your purchases we could send 5550 EUR to the bank account of the embassy of Ukraine in Prague.
Proof of bank transfer here.
Thank you
Your Special Hobby team"

- Indiana Jones

Spey_Phantom

a new Gloster meteor T.7 has been announced  :mellow:  propably a rebox of the older MPM kit.

it will have 3 decal options, one for the RR Derwent V testbed (G-AKPK), one for RAF 43 Squadron and one Netherlands Air Force version.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Mossie

Sk.37 Viggen two seater in 1/72.  Not new as such, but it was only available before in the duo pack with the AJ-37 and book.

You cannot view this attachment.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

G-AKPK wasn't a "Derwent test-bed", it was the private venture T.7 prototype and sales demonstrator.
It was built from F.4 sales demonstrator G-AIDC which was damaged in a landing accident in Brussels
while on a demonstration tour.

The Derwent 5 test aircraft was F.3 EE360, all production F.4, long-span & short-span, had the Derwent 5.

AeroplaneDriver

Ran across this from about a week ago.  Interesting another 1/48 Anson is coming this year. 

Special Hobby 2023
So I got that going for me...which is nice....