Christie-suspension British Cruiser Tanks

Started by dy031101, December 09, 2008, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Question: why did the Comet end up being produced in A34 configuration with the less powerful 77mm HV instead of the 17-pounder armed A44?

Were the 17-pounder shells that difficult to handle in a tank?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

nev

You are correct that it had a lower muzzle velocity and yes, a smaller shell.  To put the size into context, on the Sherman Firefly they had to remove the hull machine gunner to find a place to store ammo, and if they wanted to reload the racks in the turret then the rounds had to taken out of the hull top hatch then passed up to and in through the turret top hatch - not something you wanted to do in combat!  The Comet like the Sherman was a small-medium sized tank.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

For those who might be interested, this months Military Modelling has a nice article converting the Tamiya Centaur to an A24 Cavalier using the Cromwell Models conversion. 

The author finishes it as a plain green fresh-out-of-the-factory, but I can't help but wondering what it would look like in Desert Camo.  The initial order was for 500, but the tank was cancelled after only a few had been built, seeing service mainly in training roles, though a few were converted to ARVs and command tanks.  Britain was so desperate for any kind of war material in the first half of the war, could they afford to ignore a tank with a half-decent gun and armour, no matter how underpowered?  If not the desert, how about the far East?  Repository of all weapons not deemed good enough for Europe.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on December 09, 2008, 07:08:48 PM
Question: why did the Comet end up being produced in A34 configuration with the less powerful 77mm HV instead of the 17-pounder armed A44?

Were the 17-pounder shells that difficult to handle in a tank?

From Tony William's website:

The 76x420R is the 77mm, the 76x583R is the 17 pdr (with APDS).

As you can see, the 77mm cartridge case is significantly shorter and broader
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Apologies if these already have a thread, but I couldn't find one.

So what can you do with these then, whiff-wise?

One idea I had (originally on the Sherman thread) was to make a proper WWII APC out of a Crusader (or any of these) like this:

1. Move the drive sprocket to the front

2. Jack up the upper hull with spacer pieces to gove more headroom,

3. Move the engine deck to the middle, either occupying the whole width or with a tunnel down one side,

4. Add a new rear plate and roof with doors/ramp/hatches to taste.

The early Crusader is particularly suitable since it has the small MG turret next to the driver, but any of them would do. You could always add the twin gun turret from  Vickers Mk.VI light tank or a Humber armoured car for extra firepower. Of course, such a vehicle wouldn't be ideal, particularly if the engine occupied the whole width, cutting the driver and gunner off from the crew compartment, but that would be credible for the time.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

Pretty sure there is a thread, but I'm sure Jeffry will be along soon to tidy up (rather like the Noo-noo ;) )

dy031101

What's the turret ring diametre of the Cromwell and its Charioteer variant?

(...... I wonder what else we can put the Charioteer turret on......)

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

The enclosed is not a proper mental picture yet, but I have a rough idea of a reverse-engineered Challenger or Avenger (i.e. lengthened Cromwell) cruiser tank hull coupled with a relatively more-modern turret armed with a 90mm and later 105mm gun (or a 90mm gun with backup ATGMs).

The Leopard 1 turret is a random choice (although I was influenced by theme of an embargo-sufferer in my head when I cooked this one up; now I wonder if the French AMX-30 turret might have been easier to work out).  If there is another turret more suitable (easier to gain access to or to copy, less weighty, with a more-sensible turret ring size, etc.), please do suggest one.

Other comments and suggestions are also welcomed.

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Another quick-and-dirty pieced-together rough idea, this time involving an AMX-30 turret (which I do have in my "digital stash", potentially making my life easier should I incorporate the whole thing into my wish list  ;D).

====================

To-do list here

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

You are aware that the Challenger had problems with manoeuvrability?   The length to width ratio (mentioned in the landships thread) was wrong.  Indeed it was where it's importance was first discovered.  The result was that it was too long and the hull too narrow and had troubles turning.  The Avenger OTOH, cured that by widening the hull.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

I haven't found a line drawing for the Avenger (the prefered choice for a basis) yet  :banghead:, so I just stretched the Cromwell hull for the rough draft.

Did the Avenger actually go into service?  The Wikipedia claimed that it did post-WWII, but other online references claimed that it never got past prototype stage.

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Another rough draft of the reverse-engineered and then upgunned Avenger/Stretched-Cromwell, this time with a T-55 Enigma turret.  :wacko:

====================

To-do list here

NARSES2

Quote from: dy031101 on April 14, 2010, 07:38:20 AM
Did the Avenger actually go into service?  The Wikipedia claimed that it did post-WWII, but other online references claimed that it never got past prototype stage.

My ref has 2 RA SP batteries being equiped post war plus it was used in training. Remained in service until the 1950's.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dy031101

I found the shape of the Ikv-91 turret to make an asthetically-pleasing combination, too.

The image represents the turret size that I want for now (so the turret therefore it isn't to real-world original proportion).  I want to upgrade the reverse-engineered Avenger to a standard close to the T-54/55, so think of the choice of gun as initially either an US 90mm or a Soviet 100mm......

Should I scale up the turret further?  Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

(Now I feel like making the next victim of my brainstorming the Excelsior tank...... if I can find a good drawing for a rough draft  :banghead:)

====================

To-do list here