The Rutanised & W wing Bears are wild!

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Quote from: Maverick on March 26, 2011, 04:14:03 PM
The Rutanised & W wing Bears are wild!

Regards,

Mav

Bah!, What's this Rutanised crap - despite being a good designer Burt Rutan was not the first, not will he be the last, to play with canard designs so should hardly be given some sort of special reference to them.

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

I guess 'rutanised' is a lot simpler than saying "mainplane moved to rear, tailplane moved to canard position"  :rolleyes:

Regards,

Mav

NARSES2

Quote from: GTX on March 26, 2011, 06:54:32 PM
Burt Rutan was not the first, not will he be the last, to play with canard designs Greg

Indeed. The origional Wright Flyer could be considered a canard after all  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 27, 2011, 02:33:46 AM
Quote from: GTX on March 26, 2011, 06:54:32 PM
Burt Rutan was not the first, not will he be the last, to play with canard designs Greg

Indeed. The origional Wright Flyer could be considered a canard after all  ;D

Ha! I mentioned this just the other day in another forum when a Swede was whining that the Euro typhoon "stole" from the Grippen. Take a back seat boys we had it in 1903!!  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

jcf

Quote from: Maverick on March 26, 2011, 07:33:53 PM
I guess 'rutanised' is a lot simpler than saying "mainplane moved to rear, tailplane moved to canard position"  :rolleyes:

Regards,

Mav

Yeah, it's simple all right.

BTW 'moving the tailplane to the canard position' makes no sense as there is no 'canard' position.
The term canard was first used in reference to appearance. In that a tail-first aircraft looks
like a canard, which is French for duck.

kitnut617

Actually the Gripen came from these British ideas, the BAe design crew assisted in the Gripen design --- these 3-Views were courtsey Tony Buttler who sent them to me a while ago
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

Good grief. My Trumpy 1:72 Bear may well have to be built in that canard form, if I ever have the space to display it!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Maverick

Mmm, seems I can't catch a break.  Funny how anally retentive 'what iffers' are getting.

McColm

Wyrmshadow

Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

McColm

You do realise that some one will have a go making that!!

McGreig

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 27, 2011, 02:24:35 PM
Yeah, it's simple all right. BTW 'moving the tailplane to the canard position' makes no sense as there is no 'canard' position.
The term canard was first used in reference to appearance. In that a tail-first aircraft looks
like a canard, which is French for duck.

Why do we have posts like this? :angry:  It's unnecessarily picky, serves no useful purpose and, in this case, doesn't seem to be correct in any case.

Mavericks' original "moving the tailplane to the canard position" was quite clear in meaning and, as far as I can  see, accurate. With reference to the word "canard" the Random House dictionary defines this for aeronautics as follows:

a) an airplane that has its horizontal stabilizer and elevators located forward of the wing,
b) also called canard wing - one of two small lifting wings located in front of the main wings.
c) an early airplane having a pusher engine with the rudder and elevator assembly in front of the wings.

And Collins English Dictionary gives:

an aircraft in which the tailplane is mounted in front of the wing

Which would suggest that there is a "canard position".

Same with the comment on "Rutanise". Rutan may not have invented the canard but it has become, along with smooth, flowing lines and flying surfaces in odd positions, something of a Rutan trademark. And, possibly because of the swept flying surfaces, that canard Bear has a very Rutan look to it. Maverick's description seemed spot on to me.

Maverick

Thanks for that Gordon.   :thumbsup:

I actually thought most of us here would have understood the way I phrased it given the site's common interests, but perhaps to paraphrase a Simpsons character "my English was inelegant"  :blink:

Regards,

Mav