Shark's or Tiger's Mouth Markings

Started by GTX, September 04, 2009, 11:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

A thread for that perennial favourite - the Shark's Mouth or Tiger's Mouth (or anything with lots of sharp teeth - even the vicious killer Rabbit of Caerbannog is acceptable).  To start, here's a cool pic of a F/A-18 mouth:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

nev

That P-3 is the least aggressive sharkmouth I have ever seen! :D

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

I'm sure you'll have seen this one before Nev!  Straight out of Walt Disney!  The story is that 5 Sqn's commander came back from an exchange in the US & was impressed with the sharkmouths.  On return, he gave an order for several of the Lightning's to be painted up with sharkmouths.  Trouble is, they didn't last long, as the crews hated them!  You can't blame them, I think they would have looked much better with a more aggressive expression.

This is XM.191, a F.1A nose painted to represent the F.6's.

Regarding the P-3, I think it's down to the eye.  Doing a few profiles, I've found that even if you have an aggressive mouth, the shape, position & angle of the eye can make a big difference.  Sharkmouths don't look right without eyes, I find.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

A few I've found

Couldn't go without showing A-10's!  A good chance to get the experimental Peanut scheme in too.

Dassault Ouragan, Israeli Air Force

Sukhoi Su-7, The Thunderbirds display team, Indian Air Force

Mil Mi-14 Polish Air Force

Yamaha R6

Talos

How about the two TSRs from Operation Telic I profiled awhile back?

TsrJoe

there are very few known examples of Finnish aircraft with 'sharkmouth' type markings ...

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I had a book compiled by Robert F. Dorr (published by Motorbooks Intl. if I recall correctly), I think the title was simply 'Shark's Teeth Nose-Art'. Whilst I cannot post any pics from here in work, here's a few to continue the fun:

M-46 & M-24 tanks of the 6th Armd Bttn, Korea winter 1951...... trust me, I have an M-46 in the stash and fully intend to build/paint it in those markings !!

WWI German ground-attack aircraft, I cannot recall its' name, but Airfix had it as a series 1 kit (in a plastic bag !!) about a thousand years ago.

P-40's of course in all their varying marks - I personally like the 'N' with the HUGE parrots head on it - I've got one built and will post it here tomorrow, together with a 112 Sqn 'E'.

Bf110C's of ZG76.

Lavochkin La5FN with a mawl that covers the ENTIRE cowling.

P-51B/Mustang III of 112 Squadron, in fact you can add the Venom, Sabre F4 and Hunter F6 to that particular squadron.

23rd AVG P-51B's & C's (another of my builds)

Operation Telic Tornado's and Buccaneer's

Corsair II's VA-93 Blue Blazers, Ubon based A-7D's in 1972, 23rd TFW, post Vietnam.

EC-47 with extended nose (no I didn't mean AC-47 !)

EB-66 Destroyer & EKA-3 Skywarrior

VF-111 F-4B's & N's, Numerous USAF F-4E's and G's and a couple of RF-4C's - don't forget VF-111's F-14's too in high and low vis.

Ryan Firebee drone's

Australian Spitfire XIII's

Polish (?) Su22M's

US Army UH-1C gunship's

French F-100's

I could go on, and on, and on, and on.... well you get the picture, hopefully folks will pick-up the thread and add photo's when they can, I know I will ! - let's see if we can get more replies/pics than the 'Russian' thread  :thumbsup:

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

dogsbody

I've had this book for a couple of decades. Has anyone else seen it?

book by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/100165274@N08/
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

dogsbody

The first page of profiles from the above book.

Sharkxx by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/100165274@N08/
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

Wow - never seen that Lanc with all the Merlins painted like that.  Surprised it was even done, given the chance that all that hard work would go down in the flames sooner rather than later (although that one does seem to have an impressive mission tally).  Perhaps a tired old bird pulled out of front line duties?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

The Lanc was from a Canadian squadron I think...operational certainly though. :wub:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

JayBee

Quote from: dogsbody on September 17, 2009, 09:11:31 AM
I've had this book for a couple of decades. Has anyone else seen it?

Yep, I have it as well and Vol 2.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!