Shark's or Tiger's Mouth Markings

Started by GTX, September 04, 2009, 11:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 24, 2020, 07:03:38 AM
What is it about Giant Pandas and (I assume given the posters name) the Japanese ?

It is quite nice though  ;D

Part of it probably has to do with Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 manga and anime series.

Genma Saotome, father of protagonist Ranma Saotome, who fell into Jusenkyo's Spring of Drowned Panda, a tragic tale of a panda that fell into the spring 2000 years ago...
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

So is it similar to traditional European Fairy Tales ? Not the Disneyfied versions but the original much darker versions ?

I must admit I know nothing about manga and anime
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 25, 2020, 06:59:59 AM
So is it similar to traditional European Fairy Tales ? Not the Disneyfied versions but the original much darker versions ?

I must admit I know nothing about manga and anime

In this case, Ranma 1/2 is more slapstick martial arts rom-com, with odd bit of magic thrown in.  Anime (Japanese animation) and manga (Japanese comics) come in a variety of flavors.  Strobez Area 88 builds, Dizzy's Macross Valkyries and Destroids, and the odd Porco Rosso build that pops up here are from the more, serious (relatively speaking) series. 
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

NARSES2

Thanks Scoot. For the first time I now understand what the two terms mean  :thumbsup:

I'd always assumed they had quite deep and complicated meanings. Never realised they were that simple. You live and learn  :thumbsup:

Porco Rosso is one of my favourite cartoon films. Never associated it with Anime.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

There are those who will completely disagree with such a simplified definition.  But it is correct.

I have a relative who got mightily offended when I described his favourite Anime as cartoons.  So of course I make sure I do so every time now.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 27, 2020, 04:11:49 AM

I have a relative who got mightily offended when I described his favourite Anime as cartoons.  So of course I make sure I do so every time now.

A man after my own heart  :angel:

Mossie

Also, Anime covers the full gamut of film material, it's seen simply as an art form and not purely for family entertainment.  You can find children's films to very, very adult themes with everything in-between.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Another, certainly anime-inspired variation of the shark mouth:

I'd assume that it was inspired by the (rampant) EVAs from Evangelion:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 29, 2020, 02:51:03 AM

Stencils galore on that Phantom.

Can you imagine the size of the decal sheet?  :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Hasegawa provides them all on JASDF Phantom kits...  :-\

TheChronicOne

Coincidences once again. Yesterday I saw a facemask on a bloke with a "traditional" style shark mouth on it. I thought that was pretty cool. Now today I'm enjoying some music when in the background I saw a dancer.... wearing the same type of stuff!  OK.. so... are our beloved shark/tiger mouthes now a fashion trend?  If so....... that's pretty neat!  :mellow:

;D  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

scooter

Way back in 2017, *this* happened to a Union Pacific engine.

While I agree with *some* of the comments on the original Reddit thread, UP should have, at the very least, left the body as is.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

NARSES2

I agree Scoot. The body is great, spoilt by the "head" IMHO

Mossie

I'm impressed on one hand, but I agree with the vandalism comments.  The trouble is with leaving it, you condone the behaviour and then you'll end up with dozens of painted trains.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.