Older Radish Models....

Started by Radish, September 04, 2009, 01:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Keep em coming Terry.  Some great builds.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Radish

Another oldie, all old photographs scanned in now, hence the crap photo quality, and the fact that I take crap photos.
I built lots of the Airfix 1/48th Spitfire 22/24 and Seafire 46/47 kits.
Here's a Seafire 47 converted to the Spitfire 26.
It's one of a number I built, this one in Portuguese "African" markings on COIN duties. It convinced quite a few.
All hand-painted with Tamiya Acrylics.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

And what about an Imperial Roman Air Force Rapier with Green Asp missiles.
The decoration is because the pilot belonged to the influential cult of Dinos.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I've known this man for more years than I care to to recall, and his quality of work has never been far from superb. Brilliant to see these again Terry.... Any chance that any members of your extended F-8 family may make an appearence ??

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

I remember Israeli and Danish ones at Doncaster a few years ago...
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Israeli and RCAF, the latter in the Olive drab finish, and in a modified RF form.
Coming soon......

F-8s in RAF (54 Sqn), Israeli sharkmouth, Japanese Aggressor and RCAF.

Radish

A not particularly good shot of the Monogram 1/48th Israeli F-8E.
This was done after I'd read that the Israelis were offered F-8Es and A-4s from the USS Hancock as it returned from Vietnam in '73. It's return co-incided with the outbreak of the October'73 Yom Kippur War, and a desperate Israel was to be supplied with the Hancock's aircraft. An interesting premise, but FACT.
In the event, the Israelis were supplied with A-4s and F-4s direct from the US or via European stocks.

philp

That just looks right Terry.  Show us more.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

John Howling Mouse

Heh, heh, my Radish Builds Archive just quadrupled in size!   :thumbsup:
Nice to see these, Terry.
Translation: Hope to see even more.   :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Sauragnmon

Keep it up, man, that's some WICKED paintwork.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

ChernayaAkula

So much WIN it's not even funny!

Love the Portuguese Spit! :wub: :wub: And the Israeli Crusader. And the Thai F-20. And.... well, so much WIN!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

nev

By the time Terry has finished, this thread is gunna rival the stash threads for epicness :)

QuoteF-8s in RAF (54 Sqn), Israeli sharkmouth, Japanese Aggressor and RCAF.

*jumps up and down excitedly*
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Meanwhile, in "Biggles Delivers The Goods", which I read about 12 years ago because I couldn't concentrate on normal fiction (my brain was disintigrating! and Biggles was a nice, easy read) it's mentioned that he flies a Typhoon.....this story takes place in India.
So I built a 1/48th Tiffie (Monogram) in SEAC colours. Can you spot the "green Algae" on the fin/rudder ;D ;D ?
This model is "no more" and will anyway be replaced by something far more suitable.

Radish

92 Sqn RAF F-8E Crusader. Singapore 1970.
The story goes that with the UK now committed to the SE Asia conflict, more hardware was required and the RAF and RN bought Crusaders. I have an all-white Crusader of the RN too.
Kit, Monogram 1/48th....paint all brush-painted Ta,iya Acrylics, weathering in pencil.
The decals came from the Almark F-4 Phantom sheet for RAF Phantoms.
After it's debut at the Donnington Nationals, Mike Acteson who for a long time ran the IPMS(UK) decal bank, rang me up to say that he'd had enquiries as to where RAF Crusader decals could be bought!!
I also took it along to RAF Stafford where a Wing Commander enquired in a worried tone, "We didn't have those, did we?"
The joy of confusion.

Radish

Japanese Aggressor F-8EJ....the biggest problem was the badly warped wing section which required clamping to a block of wood and immersing in almost boiling water. Afterwards, the clamp-spots needed filling, but it all turned out OK.
Decals, I think, from the spares, although the unit marking came from a 1/72nd Phantom.