Older Radish Models....

Started by Radish, September 04, 2009, 01:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Quote from: Radish on September 16, 2009, 01:25:44 AM
hope everyone's enjoying the trail down memory lane.
Apologies for the crap pictures....never too great with me.

As someone who has never had a chance to see them, I am loving them.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Sauragnmon

Like Phil, I've never seen these before, so seeing your paintwork in its stunning work as well as your great concepts, is quite awesome to me.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Radish

Another more "generic" model, an RT-33 of the RTAF that I did for Quarter Scale on a diorama called "Looking for Charlie", a reference to the Viet Cong as the theme that year was The Vietnam War.
Hobbycraft kit, paint by Tamiya, decals from spares.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

thedarkmaster

Loving seeing these "older" builds, can't wait to see more of them  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Radish

Another Airfix Spitfire 22 (1/48th).
This one uses Blue Rider decals....Lithuanian AF.

Sisko

Man this is great stuff! :wub:

Thanks for sharing you builds with us :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Tophe

Quote from: Radish on September 16, 2009, 10:19:36 AM
Now here's one from aeons ago....about 1984....Twin SHARs from the Matchbox Shar.
Belated congratulations for this twin-beauty :wub: :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Radish

A pleasure....I really need to update the Twin Shar with a new build...

Meanwhile, not a whiff but for those who like military uniforms, here's my dad in Bombay (now Mumbai) on Wednesday, January 9th 1946. See, he wore skirts too!!!!

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

1st Batallion, Quenn's Own Cameron Highlanders.

Typical of the army....born in Staffordshire, so recruited to a Scottish Regiment, a Highland one at that.

JayBee

Just shows how lucky some people can get :rolleyes:

MacJayBee
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

nev

Quote from: Radish on September 20, 2009, 07:15:48 AM
1st Batallion, Quenn's Own Cameron Highlanders.

Typical of the army....born in Staffordshire, so recruited to a Scottish Regiment, a Highland one at that.

I read an excellent book last year - Battalion - all about the 5th Cameron & Seaforth Highlanders, it was written by the Bn intelligence officer in Germany in the few months between VE Day and demobilisation.  Its immediacy is wonderful, as is the way it brings home, in a way no other book has that I've read, how just 1 or 2 sharp actions can decimate a battalion, eg in one battle in Sicily, a 24 hour fight to take a small town from german paras they lost 30+ dead and 100+ wounded (the Germans left a similar number of dead behind when they pulled out)

Anyway, I digress.  My point was that after fighting from El Alemein, through Tunisia and into Sicily, when they were returned to Blighty to prepare for D-Day the only way to fill the gaps in the ranks was with Englishmen!  As is the way with the British Army, the newcomers soon adopted the lingo and customs of their new unit.  "Just the job" seemingly being a stock phrase of the Battalion.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

Really!!!!

Meanwhile a Tamiya 1/48th Fw-190D painted to represent an Israeli S-99 (the Czechs chose to produce the '109G14 rather than the '190D, and this resulted in the S-99. When the factory producing the DB engines for the G14 burnt down, they substituted that abomination that resulted in the attractive but dreadful S-199). My S-99 is original Czech production, and therefore is very capable.....that's if the Czechs had decided on a Fw-190D build.
Straight from the box, built very quickly and brush-painted with Tamiya RLM02. Decals from the Hobbycraft S-199 kit.

Then, a 1/48th Hasegawa Shinden, again built quickly as it's such a lovely kit. Painted with Gloss Black Tamiya paint, and kit decals used. The Tiger markings came from a sheet with Dutch Tiger F-16 decals on. The angle of the rear of the F-16 rudder is ideal for the front of the shinden intakes. I'll use F-16 decals on my other Shindens (I have a couple!!) Weathering with matt varnish and pencil lead/graphite powder. The Shinden represents Tiger Tonaka's aircraft...remember the Japanese Chief of Intelligence in the James bond story "You Only Live Twice"???

Radish

And now some C-47s. The first is a civil What If? which originally was to be built as an Air Atlantique aircraft, but another club member finished his first, so I repainted the stripe along the fuselage in Light Blue and created the decals on a Word Processor. The Mexican flag is actually a Bosnian one free with a Blue Rider Magazine. But in 1/72nd scale, who can tell? The Yucatan Airlines...totally made up, but there were so many little South American airlines it convinced many. I sprayed the white top to the fuselage with Halfords Primer...the rest is brush painted with Tamiya paints. The lower white stripe on the fuselage is decal. Made from the Italeri kit, as are all my C-47s/DC-3s. The washing line aerial is scratch built.

The other C-47 is Israeli, based on a real aircraft, but the codes were printed by me and are the wrong font. Other markings are from Almark (for the badges) and Superscale (for National Markings). All aerials from plastic card..."guessed" to be in the right place. Not totally accurate but convincing. Painted with Halfords Primer and weathering with pencil. Their should be small white duck-shapes glued to the wingtip lights for total accuracy...the Israelis fitted them to aid visibility at night!!!! Italeri 1/72nd.

All glazing on my C-47s (and other similar airline-type windows) is done by seperate tiny rectangles of clear plastic fixed/floated on using a good quality White PVA glue.

Both C-47s have been given to the C-47/DC-3 Dakota SIG