M108, M109, M992 (FAASV, FDCV, FAOCV) family of vehicles.

Started by jcf, September 04, 2009, 02:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Couldn't find a thread so here we go.
To start an image that is not a Whif, but it is different enough so I thought it would be of interest.
M109s in Vietnam mounting ACAV turrets.

The chain link fence was the standard first line defense against RPGs, rolls of chain-link and engineer stakes were also carried on
other vehicles on patrol and would be placed when they would laager up for the night.

Cheers

Jeffry Fontaine

I recall some of the early M109A6 Paladin vehicle prototypes were armed with the 25mm Bushmaster chain gun in the same mount that was originally offered in the first Tamiya HMMWV kit.  The weapon was mounted in the vehicle commander position, not sure if it also incorporated the smaller 7.62mm chain gun that was on the HMMVW/Bushmaster kit or not but it certainly made for an interesting looking artillery piece.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

anthonyp

The PIM (M109A6) is a great vehicle.  Still have yet to get one in the bay at work, but there's a lot of ongoing work on them.  I know something about the FAASV and its future, but I can't discuss it yet.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

jcf

anthonyp

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 04, 2009, 06:32:26 PM
Tease.  ;D

Yes... yes I am  ;D

When they build/unveil the new vehicles, I can talk about them.  Until then, my lips be sealed!   :banghead:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

raafif

There were a few M-109 chassis with Roland missile/radar for quick-response.  Flown in USAF C-5a Galaxys I think and a strange training version (post-retirement target ?) in Belgium.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

dy031101

Here you'll see two pictures of an attempt made by the ROCA to improve the firepower of surplus M108 (which I think are all gone by now).

Turrets were removed and main guns were replaced initially by an unknown shorter-barrelled ordnance and later by a G5-inspired XT69 howitzer (as depicted in the pictures).  Despite the new howitzer being an improvement, however, the mounting was deemed not satisfactory (open-topped and not all that stable when firing), and only a small number of them were built.

Would it have been possible to just replace the 105mm howitzer but keep the turret, for example copy the ordnance used by the M109 but incorporate as much of technologies gained from the XT69 as possible?  It's too bad that the XT69 project came to a halt after the brain behind it retired (and the ROCA became stuck with the M114 and early marks of the M109 for towed and self-propelled howitzers respectively)......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

russcal

Quote from: dy031101 on September 04, 2009, 08:11:24 PMWould it have been possible to just replace the 105mm howitzer but keep the turret, for example copy the ordnance used by the M109 but incorporate as much of technologies gained from the XT69 as possible?  It's too bad that the XT69 project came to a halt after the brain behind it retired (and the ROCA became stuck with the M114 and early marks of the M109 for towed and self-propelled howitzers respectively)......

Hiya, all!

M108 and M109 (T195 & T196) used identical chassis, turrent, and, if I recall correctly, the same gun mount. Some redundent M108's were actually regunned into M109's.

Also, I believe XT69 refers to the entire vehicle, not just the ordnance. I have a picture somewhere of an early model, labeled XT69, armed with a M114 howitzer.

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

jcf

Quote from: russcal on September 04, 2009, 09:54:59 PM

M108 and M109 (T195 & T196) used identical chassis, turrent, and, if I recall correctly, the same gun mount.

M108: 105mm howitzer M103 in mount M139
M109: 155mm howitzer M126 in mount M127
M109A1: 155mm howitzer M185 in mount M178

dy031101

Quote from: russcal on September 04, 2009, 09:54:59 PM
Also, I believe XT69 refers to the entire vehicle, not just the ordnance. I have a picture somewhere of an early model, labeled XT69, armed with a M114 howitzer.

From what I was able to find online, both the vehicle and the ordnance itself (in its APU-equipped towed form) were designated XT69.

The exercise of mounting the XT69 howitzer onto surplus M108 hulls appeared to be a half-hearted one primarily meant to show the public that the ROC can design and build their own self-propelled artillery...... the wheeled SPH unveiled this couple of years is said to have its ordnance based on the XT69 as well......

Things went very low-key and came to a halt for a while after the parade was over and the chief designer of the artillery retired, but I've always thought that an upgrade of the same nature as the Italian M109L would have been the way to go.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here