Convairail 8-8-8 from the classic Glencoe kit

Started by Brian da Basher, September 08, 2009, 12:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

You've got a nice little "US Railway Companies take to the Skys" thing going on Brian. Love it

Now an Airfix Heron (or was it Dove) in GNER colours ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 10, 2009, 05:37:58 AM
You've got a nice little "US Railway Companies take to the Skys" thing going on Brian. Love it

Now an Airfix Heron (or was it Dove) in GNER colours ?

I'm glad you like the "8-8-8" Narses. Funny you should mention the Airfix D.H. Heron as I happen to have one in the stash. No Great North Eastern decals transfers though I'm afraid, but that is a very striking scheme indeed.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Sisko

Imagine a Union Pacific 737! :ph34r:

Always love your imaginative builds :cheers:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

puddingwrestler

When I saw the back story, I was expecting a surplous Convair 880 fuselage turned into a high speed train. And come to think of it, an airliner to high speed train conversion would look pretty cool. Perhaps a Super Constellation propellor driven super commuter? I've seen images of propellor and jet propelled high speed trains (many of them russian) around the web, so why not?

I may have to look into this... I have an N-Scale model railway layout in a perpetual state of not being finished living at my Parent's place...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

buzzbomb

Quote from: puddingwrestler on September 13, 2009, 04:36:16 PM
And come to think of it, an airliner to high speed train conversion would look pretty cool. Perhaps a Super Constellation propellor driven super commuter?

I may have to look into this... I have an N-Scale model railway layout in a perpetual state of not being finished living at my Parent's place...

You know somehow, I knew you would say that  ;D ;D

I think the original idea is great the stretch for a transport company to diversify from rail to airline is quite feasible.
Plus the prop driven "puddle jumper" layout would work
Nice model Brian

DaFROG

off the topic at hand but on the topic of aero trains etc there was some kind of american rail car with the jet pod off a b36 strapped to the roof to test the feasability of jet (thrust driven) trains, apparently it was discovered that teh ide was as stupid as it sounds  ;D

at home i have a pic of a Mi-8 bus but i will not be home for at least 3 weeks :(

Radish

Once started a GWR steam-powered F-4D....might return to that idea.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

sequoiaranger

BdB said: "I'm glad you like the "8-8-8" Narses. Funny you should mention the Airfix D.H. Heron as I happen to have one in the stash. No Great North Eastern decals transfers though I'm afraid, but that is a very striking scheme indeed."

In America, the "Great Northern" railroad featured a striking mountain goat in its logo, AND it's red and white (good Canuck colors). Maybe you could whip up a trans-national USA/Canadian rail/air merger to link up US and Canadian rail lines, and use the goat logo. I have some transfers (may be "dry", but one could create real decals from them if necessary) if you think you might try it!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on September 08, 2009, 11:53:07 PM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on September 08, 2009, 07:37:33 PM
Always brings a smile to my face to see another Basher creation. 

Wholeheartedly agree !

Ian

Your not wrong..............................what a guy.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

bobbo

Outstanding, Brian!  I just wondering about a contra-rotating prop turboprop version . . . 

Bobbo

Brian da Basher

Thank you, apophenia! That's one awesome holiday greeting card you made with my Convairail! I really like it flying over the Allegheny river. Took me a moment to figure out that's not Forbes Field but PNC Park in the distance.

You have some amazing photoshop-fu!
:bow: :bow:
Brian da Basher

P.S. I have an ongoing prop shortage which is why I don't do contraprops, bobbo, but that's not a bad idea. Currently I'm busy doing something horrible to a Lockheed Constellation. Stay tuned!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DaFROG on September 13, 2009, 11:11:35 PM
off the topic at hand but on the topic of aero trains etc there was some kind of american rail car with the jet pod off a b36 strapped to the roof to test the feasability of jet (thrust driven) trains, apparently it was discovered that teh ide was as stupid as it sounds  ;D

at home i have a pic of a Mi-8 bus but i will not be home for at least 3 weeks :(

It was a Budd RDC car with the B-36/B-47 jet pod mounted on the roof, with a shovel nose added to smooth out the airflow. The NYC tried it out in 1966, and it set the US Rail Speed Record of 184 mph! I'd HATE to have been on board that, knowing what I know now about conicity and wheel hunting etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.