Vieira's Phantom mixed with F-104 : the my version (1/48 scale)

Started by G.Marcat, September 10, 2009, 02:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

ChernayaAkula

Wow!  :o This looks very cool and original! You managed to bash two aircraft so that neither's distinctive features are too dominant and thus a totally new aircraft is born! :bow: Awesome job!  :thumbsup:

Personally, I'm not too sure about the two drop tank halves on the fuselage. Maybe just one as a spine connecting the tail and back of cockpit might have been better?  :huh:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

G.Marcat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 04, 2009, 06:08:26 PM
Personally, I'm not too sure about the two drop tank halves on the fuselage. Maybe just one as a spine connecting the tail and back of cockpit might have been better?  :huh:

There is an explanation: I tried to take the  original Phantom spine and to flatten it in the way of to have a semi-rounded zone, but the spine is gone broke in the process of flatten.

So, looking for a way to cover the missing spine, I decide to add the two F-104's halfs tanks to move a bit the zone instead of to leave a straight line.

noxioux

That's looking really good.  The top view had me thinking "Buccaneer" for a half second.  It has that graceful, but beefy look of the Buc, I think.  Keep it coming!

G.Marcat

Hello:
In the last week I managed to fill and smooth the F-404 in the best possible way, then added some hands of primer.

But before this is a my sketch that show how will look the completed F-404 when installed the undercarriages:

To save headaches the main undercarriages will have the same legs of the Phantom but I will install them on a horizontal strut.

And here is the work done until today:

Now will add some panels scribing them.

Weaver

This is looking really good!  :thumbsup: Where's Ron (Sotoolslinger)? He'd be jumping up and down about this....

On the wingtips: technically, they should be turned down. High wings need anhedral so that in a turn with a degree of side-slip, the air doesn't "pile up" in the corner of the wing and fuselage and thereby roll the aircraft out of the turn again. However, aesthetically, I think it looks very good the way it is!

Something you might consider is swapping the inner and outer wing pylons. The inners no longer need to be short to fit ahead of the u/c bays whilst a short pylon would be more appropriate at the outer position. Also, the long inner pylon will help to hide the places where the u/c bays have been filled in.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

G.Marcat

The my sketch modified with the three types of wingtips:

SSgt Baloo

Excellent work! The first plane I worked on as part of my USAF career was the F-4. I like this version (fewer F-4 bites with the wings higher). :thumbsup:

I also think the plane would look best with anhedral on the outer wing panels.
Not older than dirt but remembers when it was still under warranty.

noxioux

Sisko

Your kit bash is certainly looking good! :wub:

I would have to say that it would look cooler with the wing tips turned down.
But hey it's your model, do whatever pleases you :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

G.Marcat

BAD NEWS:
the piece that has only received criticism in my model are the winglets pointing upwards.
I tried with the fingers to bend the fins to carry them straight or bent down.
Unfortunately, due to the applied force is exploded the glue on the half-wing that I have forced.
I was able to fix this problem using the Supeglue but because of this disaster, the winglets will stay bent upwards

Good News:

Last night I started to paint the F-404.
On the areas underside have given a coat of Israelil ight blue .

Today have covered this color with the tape.

Then I colored some areas of gray-green painted freehand.