Boeing ac 25-k Banshee

Started by lenny100, September 11, 2009, 11:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 12, 2009, 09:51:08 AM
One theory could be to step down a slight notch to the 76mm RF that the navy had for a heavy AA for a while - that one had a decent autofeed on it and was fed from rotary cylinders, so ostensibly you could set it up with a feed chute or something to keep the rounds reloading into the gun, or a partial enclosure to seal it and use the pressure difference to suck the next round into the feed from the chute.  You'd have ten rounds in stock for a burst rate, reload it between heavy bursts, you've got some level of rapid heavy firepower.  Sure it's not the mighty 105, but if you gave that one even a feed tray system and a sliding breech, you set it up so the next round's sitting right in position above the breech, the gun recoils back, the breech opens and the next round's freed to slide right down into the breech load before it's pulled back into place for firing.  The short exposures with a speed-load like that might necessitate a respirator or similar, but it should in theory be doable if you keep it in a positive-pressure area.

I think you forgot that the case has to be ejected in your reloading sequence.  Without pressurisation, the case would be sucked into the breech and be a real bugger to extract.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

lenny100

i know from actual experience the most of the wight of the mk8 mod0 mounting is because of the need of the large steel beams which hold the mounting in place on a ship in bad weather, and the usual UK thing of let over engineer it to death, and use heavy hydralic moters and line were electical would be more relialble, cheeper and whigh less. The best preserved structure on HMS Antelope (F170) after this

is still the forward gun mount which could still be moved by hand after 25 years under water due to all the massive amount of oil everwere..
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!