ABRAMS heavy reconnaissance tank

Started by sudzonic, September 13, 2009, 04:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

^ Not acceptable?  :huh:
I's a reconnaissance tank. It's not supposed to mix with other tanks or force breakthroughs or anything like that in an urban scenario. It's supposed to reconnoitre ahead of a mechanized attack force. If it must, it can provide harassing fire with its single-barrelled 25mm cannon and TOW rockets (such as shooting up an enemy's supply convoys).

Actually, that's one of the biggest errors made in today's conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan - using vehicles for operations they were not designed for. IFVs are not MBT replacements. Troop carriers are not IFV replacements. Light trucks are not troop carrier replacements.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Gary

Is the lower half of an Abrams more or less expensive than a Bradley's? The notion that was going through my noodle when I saw this was mine and IED survivability for the hull. As I understand it, some years back there was a lot of complaining that the Bradley didn't fair that well under trials with mines and that honking great flat side profile attracted RPG fire, while the RPG's were still in the box!.
I don't know diddly about armour, but I do think the turret should be able to take a good hit too. No where near as much as an MBT would need, but at least enough to withstand a RPG. After all, if your out doing recon, chances are someone with a bang stick is gonna see ya coming.
Getting back into modeling

nev

I don't know about how it can take a hit or not, but I do know the Bradley is not as "recoverable" as the Abrams.  Many of the latter when "knocked-out" are recovered, repaired and put back into service.  The Bradley however tends to burn itself into a pile of slag and ash (something about aluminium armour IIRC)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: salt6 on September 24, 2009, 04:53:36 AMI like it!  Might think of changing the TOWS out for two Hellfires.
Or just claim that the missiles are tube launched HELLFIRE or Javelin for the sake of keeping it simple :^)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

BrittMac

I know I am a noob here and everything, but I say build the Abrams with the Bradley turret on it if you want.  It is your "fecking" model, as the website header used to say.  That is what made me want to look at this site, and I am glad I hung around to see all these cool builds.  Now, I must get to some building lest the dust take over my bench.

I think it looks oddly Soviet era in that preview pic.  Kinda neat, I look forward to future pics.

Brandon

sudzonic

If i had known i would stir up a hornets nest i wouldn't have com up with the idea. any it probably won't get built for a while yet till i get other projects finished. :banghead:
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!

Taiidantomcat

now now no hornets nest, i like it a lot. How fast would that vehicle be? Without that big Abrams turret im willing to bet this thing would fly!  :tank:
hard to hit too, and easy to hide because of that low hull and turret position. I love it  :cheers: another great feature would be easy logistics- throw this bad boy in with some abrams units and they don't even have to slow down for the bradleys anymore! maybe one or two per company of M-1s?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sudzonic

Hay all thanks for the support now i don't want you to get to exited by this it is just a prototype as the parts belong to other build's but let me know what you think?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

anthonyp

Quote from: nev on September 24, 2009, 12:29:06 AM
I don't know about how it can take a hit or not, but I do know the Bradley is not as "recoverable" as the Abrams.  Many of the latter when "knocked-out" are recovered, repaired and put back into service.  The Bradley however tends to burn itself into a pile of slag and ash (something about aluminium armour IIRC)

Erm, not quite.  They are usually recoverable and rebuilt or used for spares.  A2 and newer are fairly robust and survivable.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

B777LR

You really do have to put an M-1 turret on that Bradley hull in the background. That would be a cool little MBT :thumbsup: Sorta like a monitor :wub:

sudzonic

Quote from: B787 on October 03, 2009, 09:25:24 AM
You really do have to put an M-1 turret on that Bradley hull in the background. That would be a cool little MBT :thumbsup: Sorta like a monitor :wub:

Maybe i could do that with the spare parts from the build... :lol:

GTX

This is somewhat Russian in theme:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!