Back dated aircraft

Started by Daryl J., September 15, 2009, 10:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Take any aircraft and backdate it to a previous generation whether or not it could work:

Sopwith Camel with uncovered rear fuselage a la Bleriot

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 with the aft 80% of the main wing covered in cloth, tail empennage completely fabric covered

737-800 sporting 4 JT3C's underwing in both civilian and military livery

B-17G with B-17B rear fuselage

B777LR

Quote from: Daryl J. on September 15, 2009, 10:05:02 PM
737-800 sporting 4 JT3C's underwing in both civilian and military livery

Without winglets of course, and with eyebrow windows (in case it's a 737 built since 2005). Another nice bit would be the antenna thingies found on dragging behind the wingtips of older 747s and 707s.

jcf

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 with the aft 80% of the main wing covered in cloth, tail empennage completely fabric covered

Ya mean like a Hurricane I?  ;D

B-17G with B-17B rear fuselage

The easiest way would be to use Academy kits and add the G nose and top turret to the B/C kit.

Mossie

I've seen Shorts Tucano's over York in Vic formation & made me think of early wartime of Spitfires.  So convert it to a tail dragger, thicken the wing, add a Merlin up front with a new canopy/spine.  I remember Weaver was thinking along the same lines, only keeping it as a trainer & Kitnut was adding cannon for his Shorts Choco.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

F-16 with a spine, the canopy from the F-102, and a pair of Genies. In natural metal or ADC greys.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Rat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 16, 2009, 09:21:22 AM

Ya mean like a Hurricane I?  ;D

Just what I was thinking, and it would be cool to see.  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

Yeah, like a Hurricane ragwing.    Someone once said a Spitfire could not be built that way and the first thought was 'Oh yeah?!!??'  :wacko: :wacko:     

Daryl J.

upnorth

How a bout a Bell UH-1 with exposed structure tail boom a la Bell 47?

Or rigging out a P-38 to look like an Airco DH.2?
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Joe C-P

Sea Venom or Vampire with a pusher prop instead of the jet.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Daryl J.

QuoteSea Venom or Vampire with a pusher prop instead of the jet.

Contraprops!!!!    :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Aeroclub make a great 5 blade Griffon prop for 1/48 Spitfires too *and* for those who don't have them, there are some fantastic bargains on CA two seater Vampires and some Venoms out there.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Remove the jet fairings/engines from the Banshee and mount midwing turboprops.....but would that really be a backdate?

Fabric winged Beaufighter with geodesic fabric fuselage.   Extra dark Middlestone/Extra light Middlestone over light Azure.

The Rat

Quote from: JoeP on September 17, 2009, 07:01:38 PM
Sea Venom or Vampire with a pusher prop instead of the jet.

Something tells me that's been done, but nothing against doing it again!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

elmayerle

Perhaps a F-84E or G with the jet replaced by a turboprop and wings from a P-47N?  Not *that* retro, I'll agree, but definitely different looking, especially if you use an annular intake for the engine (buried engine with a long extension shaft?).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Sauragnmon

Buff with Massive Radials instead of engines?  Autogyro Cobra?  Propeller fitted to a Yak-15 modified for a belly radiator and a taildragger?

Just a few random ideas off my head.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

elmayerle

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 18, 2009, 12:00:46 PM
Buff with Massive Radials instead of engines?  Autogyro Cobra?  Propeller fitted to a Yak-15 modified for a belly radiator and a taildragger?

Hmm, perhaps a BUFF with eight Lycoming R7550's?  Perhaps in tandem tractor-pusher pods?  That could be done since it was a liquid-cooled radial.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Something I've been toying with (no detailed thought though):

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!