Missiles not usually seen on aircraft types ...

Started by TsrJoe, September 29, 2009, 08:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper29_ca

How about a Phoenix on an F-15.

Granted it is a test machine.....however it is a little known fact that the F-15 was tested, and capable of carrying the Phoenix missile. And could mount 3 missiles, one centerline and one on each wing usually where the external tanks go. And there lies the problem.....while carrying Phoenix missiles....the F-15 had no place to put fuel tanks.

Thanks
Scott
Elm City Hobbies

http://www.elmcityhobbies.com

dy031101

There had been proposals of a Pheonix-capable F-15 for the USN, equipped with a derivative of the APG-63 for fire control of the missile.

It's easy to imagine that an operational example would have modified conformal fuel tanks capable of mounting Pheonix missiles.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Jeffry Fontaine

Something you won't see other than on display at an airshow held at NAS Point Mugu, California.  They just happened to have a spare ASM-N-2 BAT (SWOD Mk 9 Mod 0) available at the Pacific Missile Test Center and took the time to load it on an A-6 Intruder NG 562 (BuNo 151562) image from Scott Pedersen's page on the Bat Glide Bomb/Guided Missile.

***added image credit and html for the web page***
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

dy031101

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on October 03, 2009, 07:59:59 AM
Something you won't see other than on display at an airshow that just happened to have a spare ASM-N-2 BAT (SWOD Mk 9 Mod 0) and an available stores pylon on the display A-6 Intruder.

You actually got me wondering if there could exist a scenario where this combo would have been operationally possible (of course the BAT would have needed to be upgraded with a much better seeker)......  :drink:

Nice find!  :thumbsup:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Weaver

Mossie, your Firestreak pic reminds me of a tale told by an RAF pilot who was stationed somewhere in the Middle East (can't remember where or what aircraft, sorry). He walked out to his aircraft one hot morning, took the safety cover off the nose of a Firestreak, and all the little triangular bits of glass fell out on his feet.... :blink:

Seems the sun was hot enough to melt the glue they were stuck together with....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

I dunno, it probably wouldn't hold together at Mach 3 if that was the whole story.  Saying that, they weren't at Mach 3 for long!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on October 03, 2009, 09:56:40 AM
Mossie, your Firestreak pic reminds me of a tale told by an RAF pilot who was stationed somewhere in the Middle East (can't remember where or what aircraft, sorry). He walked out to his aircraft one hot morning, took the safety cover off the nose of a Firestreak, and all the little triangular bits of glass fell out on his feet.... :blink:

Seems the sun was hot enough to melt the glue they were stuck together with....

Assembled by British-Leyland with a Lucas sourced seeker, I take it? ;)  :wacko:

nev

The Americans had a similar problem in Vietnam with the electrical connectors used in the Phantom falling apart.  Can't remember if it was some indiginous bug, the humidity or some kind of airborne bacteria.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

elmayerle

Quote from: dy031101 on October 03, 2009, 07:57:38 AM
There had been proposals of a Pheonix-capable F-15 for the USN, equipped with a derivative of the APG-63 for fire control of the missile.

It's easy to imagine that an operational example would have modified conformal fuel tanks capable of mounting Pheonix missiles.
AN/APG-64 radar/fire control plus modified mountings to allow carriage of AIM-54s either on the fuselage or on FASTPACKS plus one under each wing pylon, leaving the fuselage pylon free for further tankage or other stores.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

upnorth

There is also the Serbian Gazelle helicopters that were license built by Soko and rigged up to carry the SA-7 "Grail" missile.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Mossie

I've mentioned it ages ago, but Red Arrows Hawks were included in the T.1A upgrade (not all the RAF Hawks received this) to enable them to be fitted with Sidewinder.  I'm certain I saw a pic years & years ago, but I can't find it.  Kind of strange, seeing a display team aircraft armed.

Chipmunk F.1 (not really, guys were having a laugh at Waddington air show)!!!

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: upnorth on October 06, 2009, 07:20:26 AM
There is also the Serbian Gazelle helicopters that were license built by Soko and rigged up to carry the SA-7 "Grail" missile.

They could also carry AT-3 Sagger ATGWs too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

upnorth

Of course the Zlin 142 interceptor variant might have been pushing things a bit:

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Mossie

Fantastic!  Can see it dofighting with the Chippy! ;D ;D ;D