Videogame-inspired Machine Ideas and Discussions

Started by dy031101, October 03, 2009, 01:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Has anyone here played a computer game and, when seeing a specific game unit in action, figured that it would have been cool to imagine one adapted into a real-life platform?  And how cool would it been to put the sum of the ideas into plastic or digital forms?

I'll sound off with a couple of examples- recent development of UAV and UCAV got me quite fascinated with imagining how Allied destroyer in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Allied aircraft carrier in C&C:RA 3 would have been if adapted to real-life specification.

Both emphasize on having their onboard aircraft complements easily replaced when destroyed by enemy fire.  This quality suggests UCAV (granted, the carrier in RA3 was specifically said to operate UCAV to begin with, and real-life UCAVs are getting increasingly sophisticated and therefore expensive, too).

Example No.1: thinking of the Allied destroyer in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (which doesn't really strike me as being a particularly large boat) as more of a 3000~5000-ton frigate armed with a 127mm gun forward (for shore bombardment; although I kinda prefer Swedish 120mm or, if you want to go as close to 155mm short of taking the MONARC, the open-mount 152mm gun used to arm the WWII Erie class gunboats) and a hanger for Eagle Eye UAVs from Bell (in keeping with the asthetics of the game; adapted to carry torpedoes) aft.  And since every modern real-life destroyer and frigate has some kind of onboard AA and ASW firepower, a couple of triple 324mm torpedo tubes, some 25mm cannons, and at least 16 Sea Sparrow missiles are also in order.

Example No.2: think of the Allied aircraft carrier in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 as a through-deck warship at least 13000-ton in displacement.  Load the ship with Mantis or Reaper UCAVs and, for the same reason as Example No.1, give it a couple of triple 324mm torpedo tubes, some 25mm cannons, and at least 16 Sea Sparrow missiles.

So...... anyone else interested in posting ideas?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

B777LR

Battlefield 2142

The tanks
The EU hover thingy that acted as attack helicopter
The EU hover thingy that acted as Black Hawk
Orbital bombardment
The EU APC
The equipment for the soldiers

Il-2 Shturmovik: 1946

The Lerche
The underpowered german jets
The overpowered YP-80
The cool Russian Yaks, Laggs and MiGs fitted with a rocket engine in the a*s
The cool Russian fighter that had a prop and a jet fitted inside a very small airframe. Prop accelerates well at slow speeds, and the jet is good for high speeds :ph34r:

Halo

Genetically modified supersoldiers
Human spaceships. I can't stand purple, so the Covenant ships won't do.
The Warthogs
The Pelicans
The human weapons
The Longsword space fighter
Large powered armours for humans

Yeah, i know, unrealistic

nev

There were some cool Luft '46ish planes in one of the levels on Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  I meant ot go back and get some screenies, but never bothered :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

dy031101

Quote from: B787 on October 04, 2009, 12:10:23 AM
Il-2 Shturmovik: 1946

The Lerche
The underpowered german jets
The overpowered YP-80
The cool Russian Yaks, Laggs and MiGs fitted with a rocket engine in the a*s
The cool Russian fighter that had a prop and a jet fitted inside a very small airframe. Prop accelerates well at slow speeds, and the jet is good for high speeds :ph34r:

That's the [insert name of desired WWII airforce] 1946 thing...... always a fun topic, and clearly possible with the then-available technology.

Quote from: B787 on October 04, 2009, 12:10:23 AM
Halo

Genetically modified supersoldiers
Human spaceships. I can't stand purple, so the Covenant ships won't do.
The Warthogs
The Pelicans
The human weapons
The Longsword space fighter
Large powered armours for humans

The Warthog vehicles and Scorpion tank should be possible with modern technology......

Quote from: nev on October 04, 2009, 03:29:09 AM
There were some cool Luft '46ish planes in one of the levels on Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  I meant ot go back and get some screenies, but never bothered :)
Quote from: pyro-manic on October 04, 2009, 10:38:43 AM
Ooh yeah, on the level with the airfield.

I remember the idea, too...... although I've always felt that flying the Natter back to Allied territory might be a bit of a stretch......  ;D

====================

To-do list here

Spey_Phantom

i think they actually build a working replica from the Halo Warthag (i got all halo games, and love them).
the Hornet from Halo 3 looks kinda cool to, but i think the Mongoose (ATV) is the only vehicle that already exsists in the real world.

lets see, my thoughts.

Ace Combat series.
-ADF-01 Falken
-XADF-01 Morgan
-X-02 Wyvern
-R-101 Dephilius I (love the engine sound, sounds like a sports car)
-R-102 Dephilius II (love the look, and it never seems to miss ist target)
-R-103 Dephilius III (definitly the best in the Dephilius family)
-CF44 Nosferatu (from AC6, because it looks cool)
-XFA-27 (from AC2 and ACX, an awesme design)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

dy031101

Quote from: Nils on October 05, 2009, 01:21:45 AM
XADF-01 Morgan

The massive engines of the Morgan make me wonder if the jet is actually powered by an evolution of turbofan-ramjet engine......

(But then of course it could just be a pair of massive turbofan like those on the MiG-31......)

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Well there are many for me, but the ones I can immediately recall include:

• Titular ships (particularly the blue ones) of Raiden I and II
  • Chaser from Raiden Fighters I
  • Player ship from Raptor: Call of the Shadows (picture enclosed)
  • Player ship from Star Gunner (picture enclosed)

(Actually, this thread gave me an idea on how I can mess with the last two items on the list  ;D...... more to follow in the future)

====================

To-do list here

Hobbes

Well, I built this armed A-50 as seen in the Microprose flight sim F-19:

I've thought about building the F-19 from the game as well, but there's no way I can fit the weapons load of the game airplane (4 weapons bays with room for e.g. 4 Sidewinders, 3 low-drag bombs or one large Paveway each) into an existing F-19 kit.