Hypersonic Transport

Started by KJ_Lesnick, October 07, 2009, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

SSgt Baloo

QuoteI'm no rocket scientist, but I suspect that a spatular or rounded nose shape probably prevents the accumulation of too much heat in too small an area. Perhaps the aerodynamic advantages of a pointy front end are outweighed by thermodynamic issues as speed increases?

No the surface would be sharp.  The spatular term pertains to it's overhead look
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

SSgt Baloo

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on October 23, 2009, 04:40:41 PM
SSgt Baloo

QuoteI'm no rocket scientist, but I suspect that a spatular or rounded nose shape probably prevents the accumulation of too much heat in too small an area. Perhaps the aerodynamic advantages of a pointy front end are outweighed by thermodynamic issues as speed increases?

No the surface would be sharp.  The spatular term pertains to it's overhead look

:unsure: I'm confused. That's what I was talking about (the "overhead look"). Even though the surface may look "pointy" in side view, the bluff overhead view affords more mass per unit of surface area than a conical point would afford. As I said, I'm no rocket scientist, so the reason I gave could quite easily be an incorrect one.
Not older than dirt but remembers when it was still under warranty.

KJ_Lesnick

SSgt Baloo,

I'm not sure how it's heat-distribution would fare over a pointed nose design honestly
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KJ_Lesnick

The hypersonic side of the equation is complicated, but does anybody have any idea how a design like this would behave subsonically, particularly at takeoff speed?

Mossie

I would imagine fairly well.  It looks to me like a lifting body style design.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

KJ_Lesnick

Mossie,

QuoteI would imagine fairly well.  It looks to me like a lifting body style design.

Would you say you think it's takeoff and landing speeds would be good?

Mossie

It's an ogival delta, I can't think of another aircraft that has had quite the same shape wing.  Concordes is similar being an ogee, if not quite the same.  Concorde tends to have a fairly high angle of attack when taking off & landing like many big deltas, but it's fairly forgiving IIRC as long as you're not maneuvering hard.  If that is a glazed nose, it shouldn't cause any problems visibility wise.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

KJ_Lesnick

Mossie,

QuoteIt's an ogival delta, I can't think of another aircraft that has had quite the same shape wing.  Concordes is similar being an ogee, if not quite the same.  Concorde tends to have a fairly high angle of attack when taking off & landing like many big deltas, but it's fairly forgiving IIRC as long as you're not maneuvering hard.  If that is a glazed nose, it shouldn't cause any problems visibility wise.

So you'd speculate that it's takeoff speeds and landing speeds would be similar to the Concorde?

GTX

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on October 31, 2009, 06:47:54 PM
Mossie,

QuoteIt's an ogival delta, I can't think of another aircraft that has had quite the same shape wing.  Concordes is similar being an ogee, if not quite the same.  Concorde tends to have a fairly high angle of attack when taking off & landing like many big deltas, but it's fairly forgiving IIRC as long as you're not maneuvering hard.  If that is a glazed nose, it shouldn't cause any problems visibility wise.

So you'd speculate that it's takeoff speeds and landing speeds would be similar to the Concorde?

The landing speed would be largely dependent upon the overall size and weight of the platform, not simply the shape of the wing.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

KJ_Lesnick

GTX,

QuoteThe landing speed would be largely dependent upon the overall size and weight of the platform, not simply the shape of the wing.

Good point!

KJ_Lesnick

Okay, since I was thinking 300 passengers sounds good, I'm basically using the cabin widths of the McDonnell-Douglas Orient-Express as a start-off point.

Does anyone here know how wide a typical coach airline-seat is, how big the aisles are, or how tall the ceilings are typically?  I need to establish a baseline figure for the width of the cabin.

KJ Lesnick

Mossie

Standard width is about 17in/43cm.

KJ_Lesnick

Mossie,

QuoteStandard width is about 17in/43cm.

Is that modern day or back in say 1980 to 1989?  Because this design is essentially based on the presumption that with technology of that era such a plane could be built.  So I was planning to build around those specifications.

Regardless does that width include just the seat or the arm-rests and everything?  

Mossie

Modern day, I have absolutley no idea how it was back in the 80's, although having a sit in 70's airliner at museum I found it wasn't much different.  You're only going to get a rough idea of size anyway, so I'd take it on the basis of 17 inches.  If you increase the seat size to a slightly more comfortable 18.5 inches, it shouldn't make much of a difference to the overall size of the aircraft.

KJ_Lesnick

Mossie,

QuoteModern day, I have absolutley no idea how it was back in the 80's, although having a sit in 70's airliner at museum I found it wasn't much different.  You're only going to get a rough idea of size anyway, so I'd take it on the basis of 17 inches.  If you increase the seat size to a slightly more comfortable 18.5 inches, it shouldn't make much of a difference to the overall size of the aircraft.

I'll go with 18.5 for the time being.  Regardless, does that 18.5 inches include the arm-rests or not?