L

SAC Bomber projects B-70 to B-2

Started by Libelula, March 07, 2004, 11:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

QuoteNorthrop B-2 design evolution
*Chuckle*  I was there for this evolution.  *G* What you don't, and mostly won't, see are the other alternatives that were considered.  Some of them were distinctly different.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Libelula

Quote1979 Northrop starts working on a flying wing stealth bomber rival to Lockheed’s “B airplane”. The technology is based in BSAX Tacit Blue.Soviet Air Defence are focused on low level penetrators so an stealthy bomber flying high can reach its targets. Alternative design is a diamond-shaped aircraft based in its XST Have Blue proposal.

Dear Elmayerle this is all I have in my books.
I'm sorry for my poor level of English but do you mean you were working in the Northrop ATB design team?. Wow!
It would be nice to see the alternative design for comparison. Can you add more information about the subject?.  :)

Antonio

overscan

For comparison purposes I will put up some Russian projects later...

In each program a large variety of configurations will be tested. I've got pics of loads of configurations tested in the Su-27 and F-16 programs, for example. Just because the configuration didn't work in the context of that one program doesn't mean it won't work elsewhere, so it is possible that some of the alternative B-2 designs might yet turn up in another Northrop design.

Some example- there was a tailless delta design for the MiG-31 program that still hasn't been seen. The reason? It formed the basis of the 1.42 /MFI and 7.01 projects...
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Libelula

Thanx a lot Overscan!. I'm anxious to see this russian projects. Have you heard about Tupolev Flying Wing stealthy designs in the nineties?

Ollie

Whoa!!!

Awesome!!

Whicked designs!!!

:wub:  :wub:  

elmayerle

Quote1979 Northrop starts working on a flying wing stealth bomber rival to Lockheed’s “B airplane”. The technology is based in BSAX Tacit Blue.Soviet Air Defence are focused on low level penetrators so an stealthy bomber flying high can reach its targets. Alternative design is a diamond-shaped aircraft based in its XST Have Blue proposal.

Dear Elmayerle this is all I have in my books.
I'm sorry for my poor level of English but do you mean you were working in the Northrop ATB design team?. Wow!
It would be nice to see the alternative design for comparison. Can you add more information about the subject?.  :)

Antonio
Yep, I worked on the B-2 from late-1982 to early 1989, especially through the reconfiguration period of '83-'84.  A number of variations on the basic design were developed and analyized and the one that flew was the best.  Beyond that, I'm nowhere near certain as to what I can or can't discuss, so I'd best not say too much.

Deino

QuoteDear Elmayerle this is all I have in my books.

Antonio
Woa .... truely outstanding these information !!!!

You tell us - in very good English (much better than mine !  :lol: ) - this is all You have in Your books .... would You please be so kind and tell us what books are these !????

Esp. I've never seen a 3-side drawing and the comparison of the FB-111H  :wub:  :wub:

So ..... THANKs a lot .... You made my day    :)

Deino  
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-
W.H.Auden (1945

nev

Well, its nowhere near as exciting as the cloak & dagger aircraft design that Evan has been involved in, but my company made the hardener for the glue used on the F-117  :f16:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mike Wren

QuoteWell, its nowhere near as exciting as the cloak & dagger aircraft design that Evan has been involved in, but my company made the hardener for the glue used on the F-117  :f16:
shhhhhh Nev,  :o  don't tell everyone...  :ph34r:  

Libelula

Elmayerle and Nev...please don't unveil secrets. Better like this :)

Anyway, I feel like a child. Me! a poor amateur historian (I'm a microbiologist) talking with engineers working for Northrop and Lockheed. Wow!!!! It is incredicle!!!.
Thank you very much for your attention. It's a pleasure! :rolleyes:  :dum:

Deino,

Thank you very much for all. I highly apreciate your posts!!! :wub:

Next weekend I'm going to write the bibliography behind this posts. I also have the help of good friends like Paul (Belgium), Tophe (France), Max (France), Thomas (Germany) and David (Netherlands)

elmayerle

QuoteEsp. I've never seen a 3-side drawing and the comparison of the FB-111H
I know of two sources for good drawings of the FB-111H.  One is the old Aero book on the F-111 and the other is one of the Aviation Fax Files sold by AvUsk Nebraska.

There likely are more, but those are the two I know of.

Oh, Libelula, I know better than to reveal too much, I'd much rather reveal too little.  We got rather thoroughly and exhaustively briefed on that kind of thing and the penalties involved.  ;)  

overscan

FB-111H:

I don't have a 3 view though :(
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Martin H

QuoteWe got rather thoroughly and exhaustively briefed on that kind of thing and the penalties involved.  ;)
That sounds oh so very familer.

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Yowzers......cool bomber overload !

Thanks Libelula !

I really like the first few, and that Boienf design with the turbine props on the tails !

Wish I would have thunk up an idea like that !

Cheers !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

QuoteHipotetical Sabre Penetrator by Bill Gunston
(not a real project but a very beatiful drawing) :wub:
If I'm not mistaken, this was the inspriation for Revell's fanciful effort.