Polish 1st Armored Division Centurion Mk III NT

Started by barraxr8, October 10, 2009, 10:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barraxr8

Hi guys !

Here is my "What if ?" Centurion....

I call it "Centurion Mk III NT" or Centurion Mk III "Night fighting Tank killer".

"It is 1947, and the Allies are back at the borders of the Fatherland after the disaster of the Ardennes which drove them back into Western France. A long drawn out battle of attrition has taken place since the Nazi developed super weapons started being used in early 1945. The defeat of the Soviet Union in the East allowed the Germans to launch a series of vigorous counter attacks Westwards in January 1945.

The Allied bomber offensive has been relaunched (previously posponed due to the German domination of the skies with their new generation Jet Fighters) with new high altitude B47 Jet Bombers, and this has taken its toll on the 'Fatherland' with Industry and supply lines now suffering more than ever.

British, Canadian and Polish armored units have been issued with the new Centurion Mk III NT tank killer to combat new German heavy armor. This example is one from the Polish 1st Armored Division, in Belgium, the name of the tank is "PAZUR" (or 'Claw') and it is with 2nd Armored Regiment.

The commander is having a smoke after dispatching another E-100 with the latest 120 mm APFSDS.

This "Cent" is equipped with the latest Night fighting IR equipment and a huge new main armament development (120 mm gun with Thermal sleeve). No German armor can withstand the firepower of this main gun, and the momentum of the Allied armored thrusts in NW Europe is taking its toll on the retreating German army."

The lighting and pictures aren't the best - better next time hopefully  !!

This is the old Tamiya Mk III kit with the following improvements / changes.

AFV Club "Nato Centurion" Vinyl tracks – the Tamiya tracks were too bent and fragile.
Lion Marc Challenger II 120 mm Barrel (with thermal sleeve).
Formations Resin Centurion Mantlet cover.
Tasca 50 cal    :)
Tamiya Chieftain IR Spotlight (LHS Turret) – lots of chopping, a bit of Evergreen Styrene, and Tamiya putty here.
Tamiya Chieftain Commanders Cupola and spotlight – this looks much better than the standard cupola.
Stowage from Verlinden, and Plus Model. I love the sack of potatoes on the rear deck.........I can see Polish Potato pancakes coming !
Commander from UltraCast.
Decals from "Polish Shermans I" by Hussar.
Sinsengumi Camo Decals for 2 rolls on the turret (WH Splinter pattern ver B, and SS Plane Tree Autumn).

It was painted with Tamiya and Vallejo Acrylics, and weathered with Mig production Abteilung 502 Oils, and Mig Pigments.

I tried Sinsengumi Camo Pattern decals on the two 'rolls' on the turret, and used a fair bit of Micro Set to soften the decal sheet so I could 'push' the decal into every crevice, but the rolls turned out nicely. I'm going to try these decals on some German SS smocks at some stage. This process requires a fair bit of patience, but the results are satisfying !!

This build has been a lot of fun, and a bit of a 'change' from the standard stuff !! :)

Now where is that Aussie "What if ?" Leopard 2A6M (AS2) ?   :|  

Cheers

Paul
OddBall: "It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers"

Kilgore: " I love the smell of napalm in the morning ...The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

Jeffry Fontaine

Nice WHIF you have come up with and certainly not too far fetched considering the Centurion was able to accommodate ever larger main guns during its rather long service.  The search light blends well with the side of the turret which is kind of a surprise when you think about how the Chieftain had the same set up on the side of the turret just set a bit further back.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

barraxr8

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on October 10, 2009, 11:11:40 PM
Nice WHIF you have come up with and certainly not too far fetched considering the Centurion was able to accommodate ever larger main guns during its rather long service.  The search light blends well with the side of the turret which is kind of a surprise when you think about how the Chieftain had the same set up on the side of the turret just set a bit further back.

Thanks Jeffry  :cheers:

The IR light required a lot of cutting and styrene / putty to get it to fit and blend nicely...

I tried to make this WHIF as realistic as possible  :tank:
Cheers

Paul
OddBall: "It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers"

Kilgore: " I love the smell of napalm in the morning ...The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

Jostein

As z Pole, I must say, that I am moved. But as myself - it's wonderful!

barraxr8

Quote from: Jostein on October 11, 2009, 02:31:03 AM
As z Pole, I must say, that I am moved. But as myself - it's wonderful!

Cheers,

yes my interests involve the First Polish Division, especially their actions at Falaise and later in other parts of NW Europe.

I have a Polish 1st Division Tasca Sherman V and a Tasca Firefly Vc on my workbench also....

I'll use similair colors and weathering on those two machines  :wub:

Cheers

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

thedarkmaster

So very nice, always got time for  " Free " Polish units, it's a family thing. Top class work  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

General Zod

Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

barraxr8

Quote from: General Zod on October 18, 2009, 04:55:28 PM
Paul

That is a great looking Centurion  :thumbsup:

Thanks Nev, General Zod ! It's the first Olive Drab machine I've done for ages.

I'm happy with the result, the next OD beast will be much better  :thumbsup:

CHeers

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

ChernayaAkula

Nice build and way cool backstory!  :bow: Awesome work on the tank commander. And thanks for listing all the mods. I'm not too familiar with Centurions (although I have a kit of the Aussie Nam version), so that list is most enlightening.

Thinking about it, one does wonder how long the heavy armour of the German designs would have held up against new anti-tank rounds/systems.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

That's a beautiful piece of work and the backstory is excellent. The commander in particular is top notch.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

buzzbomb

Works for me.. model and backstory.

Great model and nice finish

May not have needed too many what if's to make the backstory into a reality

Joe C-P

Hey, great job, looks good enough to have been real.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

sudzonic

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!