Re:1/144 HMS Courageous: SHIP COMPLETED

Started by Spey_Phantom, October 12, 2009, 12:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

got a small update,

i havent done any work on the carrier for 3 days now, thought i would do a few side projects t'ill i can figure out what additional details to give the island.
regards to the carrier, the airwing delivery is complete, just got a E-2 Hawkeye and i managed to find a Puma HC.1 in 1/144.
im still waiting for confirmation for my other E-2 on order (as a backup, might build it with the wings folded).

im gonna post update pictures as soon as i can make some progress...
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

i have started to work on some of the carrier's self defence systems. i have started by midifying a few Mavericks from the spares box, fins have been cut and im looking for some leftover spreu for the rocket boosters, should look like SeaDarts when they're done  :mellow:

as for CIWS Phalanx guns, im looking into that atm  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

its been quiet lately on the build of the carrier, mostly due to lack of time.
havent made any major progress yet, only some more research regarding deck layout and colors.

ive been thinking of changing the name of the carrier to something more "British".
possible names including HMS Dutchess of York, Indefiance, Courageous & Bravery.

the delivery of models for the airwing is complete, so is scavenging for navalisation parts for the Tonkas  :mellow:
now its time to start designing decals for the airwing and the carrier.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

RussC

Suggestion for your build, I did a 1/144 carrier- a section of one, not full ship. For your radar antennas, if you will have any uncovered ones, get one of those little rotating display stands they have had now and again at hobby dealers. These have a 2" turntable or a 3" one and rotate about 1 rpm on a single AA battery which lasts about 3 years. I got the 2" turntable one, painted the whole affair gray, and put various antennas on it made of styrene stock or paper. The best was a modern type of "billboard" antenna, just one of those tilted square face things with a few slits and markings on it - scanned array. These little display turntables are like these used in stores for jewelry displays. 
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Spey_Phantom

although i must say its a good idea, i dont have any intentions of putting anything electrical inside of the ship (thats more for RC builders IMHO).

ive got a small update, i have just printed out the decals for the ship and the airwing, and the name of the ship has also been changed.
ive decided that the new name for the ship should be "HMS Courageous", named after one the Royal Navy's first aircraft carriers.
building wise there has been little to no changes, but im koping to find the inspiration/motivation again to continue finishing this carrier  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

got a big picture update.

before pulling her into the drydock for more PSR and fitting of catwalks, railing and defensive systems,..... thought i would give you a bit of an eye opening picture, just to show you the huge size of this ship.
up to now, i can officially say its the biggest model ive ever built (and to now the most expensive).

here for size comparison, from bottom to top, the "HMS Courageous" allongside the retired ex-Leutonian carrier "LNS Amanda Peet" (currently in storage awaiting refit into a commando carrier and renaming), my earlier built Belgian Navy aircraft carrier "BNS Dendermonde" (also planned to undergo a refit).

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

i got another update for you all  ;D

the work on the island has progresses, just finished adding some outdoor plumbing, fitting the first antanna domes,....
the rear mast is a dry fit, still a work in progress

also a just finished with one of the boardwalks, including a platform for the OLS  :mellow:
i really should get crackin on those SeaDarts and Phalanx guns :-\

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

another small update.

work on the ship is progressing well, if i can keep up the pace, it could be finished by yearend  :mellow:
anyway, i got a small update regarding the airwing.

the announced aircraft remain unchanged (Puma, Sea Tornado GR.1/F.2, Hawkeye AEW.1), but im looking into the possibility of adding 1 additional type, preferably a multirole close range fighter (to defend the inner circle of the battle group). types im thinking at the moment are the F/A-18A Hornet or an F-14A Tomcat.

development work on the navalisation of the Tonka has been completed, i got 3 Rafale-M's in the stash all destined to be converted to land-based Rafale-C's, im gonna use the naval parts (landing gear, tailhook,..) on the tornado's.
another change is that at the moment im thinking of swapping in the Dragon/DML Tornado GR4's for the more detailed (and accurate, newer) Revell version, as i got 2 recent revell kits (a GR1 and ECR) in the stash. as for the Navalised ADV version, i gonna have to stick with the Dragon/DML kit (as the revell and DML kits are the same mold).

one probles is that i misjudged my decal supply, although i have plenty of 1/72 WW2 RAF decals, i appear to be a bit short on 80's style roundels (low vis dark blue/red), reason im not using the stock roundels from the Dragon kits is that to me they look a bit small  :-\
imgonna look at my stash and see if i cant get any decals from other kits, otherwide its no problem to make them myself  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

update:

work on the first part of the airwing has started  :mellow:, Sea Tornado F.1 of 899 NAS.
to be painted in 2-tone grey, lowvis roundels. expected back story should depict the aircrafts use during Operation: Desert Storm in 1991  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Pablo1965

Spey_Phantom

update:

the first aircraft for the carrier is finished, a Sea Tornado F.1 in 899 NAS markings, as a fleet defence fighter.
also, i just got a large spraycan of grey paint for the carrier's hull, witch will be sprayed on after work on the carwalks and platforms are finished.

the aircraft: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,32017.msg536183.html#msg536183

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

the carrier has been lying derilict on the bench for months, gathering dust  :-\
but im still planning on finishing it this year.

after reading the Air Forces Monthly article (see here), i got the inspiration to work on it again.

however, there is going to be a change in the airwing, the planned Puma HC.1 is now being replaced by an Anigrand 1/144 Merlin HC.3, obtained via a trade some time ago.

still have another E-2C kit in the stash, might convert it into a COD/tanker or ASW aircraft  :mellow:

here's a pair of pics of how the ship looks at the moment. once the catwalks are installed and taping is done (and the temperature is warmer in the sched), its time to spray her in the primer (witch i only do for large models).

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

RussC

Looking good Nils. I remember first seeing this one over on SSM or was it KG144, either way - lots of folks pulling for you to bring it done. Maybe we can even get a 144th bottle of Champagne for launching day.

:mellow:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Gondor

Looks as if you may have a problem with the stern of your ship. The deck rises towards the stern which is not good for aircraft trying to land. the fact that the end of the deck is a flat surface where most British carriers have had a rounded end may not be particularly correct either.
Sorry if this means you have to do some rework.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Spey_Phantom

BIG UPDATE

after 3 months of pretty much no activity, i have a big update regarding the ship.
i have finished work on the boardwalks and fitting of the prop shafts.

the island superstructure is also nearing completion, last night i finished fitting some more antenna's, im still thinking of ading some more detail, but im not sure what more to add yet  :-\

anyhow, today is going to be a milestone in the build, namely the spraypainting of the hull and deck in primer  :lol:
once this is done, it will be pretty much 85 percent finished.
locations for the OLS, self defence systems, tower and the opening for the underdeck hangar have now been taped off, ready to go to the sched for spraying.

this is also the scariest part of the project, the trip from the upstairs bench to downstairs, if anything goes wrong on the way, or during the spraying, its game over for what is now the most expensive build i ever made (cost has already exeded the 250 Euro mark, that includes the snowberry kit, plasticard sheets, gleu, putty, paint and airwing, catering not included)

before the big moment, here are some pics of the work done last night  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.