GAF Jindivik and Pika

Started by apophenia, October 14, 2009, 12:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apophenia

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread for the GAF Jindivik but there have been at least six model kits. Does anyone know of more?

1/200 - Shed Models (Jindivik & Pika, metal, finished or kit)

1/72 - High Planes HP72003 (Jindivik, limited run injected)
1/72 - High Planes HP72010 (GAF Pika PoC, limited run injected)

One72Guy also has photos of two unbuilt 1/72 Wings resin Jindiviks (early and late). These don't seem to be in the Wings catalogue anymore.
http://one72guy.awardspace.com/Missiles_Australia_1_72.html

1/48 - Alley Cat ACRK48-01 (Jindivik Mk.3 & 4)

[Box-top and whif alternative images/posts deleted to spare Download File]

rickshaw

Interestingly my father took the first newspaper photos of the Pika which were published.  He worked at Woomera as the Project Manager's assistant at the time and gained access through the subterfuge of surveying from one end of the Woomera airstrip to the other, through the hangar where the Pika was stored under guard and out the other side.   He was up to all sorts of hijinks in those days.  He held a security pass with the Number 3 on it for Woomera which indicated his seniority.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

ysi_maniac

Quite interesting. Thanks for posting!
Will die without understanding this world.

rickshaw

Quote from: apophenia on October 14, 2009, 06:19:17 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on October 14, 2009, 01:10:14 AM
He held a security pass with the Number 3 on it for Woomera which indicated his seniority.

Did he keep his pass after those news pics emerged?  ;D

Yes.  He was also the editor of the Woomera Times - appointed by his boss.  Some of his other stories I always believed were bullshit until I found evidence they were true in the Australian Government archives.  Perhaps his best one was how he and some of his mates voted Communist Party of Australia in the 1949 election - which caused a scandal as Woomera was supposedly the most top secret establishment in Australia at the time.  Questions were asked in Cabinet about that one (which is the evidence I discovered while searching the archives).

rickshaw

Quote from: apophenia on October 15, 2009, 08:12:42 PM
One more ... a canard delta Jindivik derivative as a UCAV.

Rickshaw: your Father sounds like a genuine character. Is there enough material to write up his story?

He was a genuine larriken (if you know what that means).  He'd served in WWII in the Northern Territory in the AIF.  He got the job at Woomera building the village (accomodation) there soon after the end of the war.  He met my mother who was one of the first three women who was allowed to work there (until their arrival, it had been an all male establishment - with the exception of the prostitute who walked in one day and was only discovered when she left and had been plying her trade for several weeks apparently).   He had numerous stories tell of various hijinks that he'd got up to.  Unfortunately there isn't enough material really to write up his story and he passed away about 10 years ago now.   My mother has filled in some of the gaps but not enough.   He used to talk about the B-29 Washingtons which the RAF had assigned to Woomera for weapons testing.   He had one trip in one and wasn't terribly complimentary about its lack of comfort.   :lol: