VC-10 AEW-5

Started by JayBee, October 14, 2009, 10:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 15, 2009, 11:47:23 AM

Great job....looking forward to #3 !

:cheers: :wub: :thumbsup:

Well, Captain,

that is slightly on the back burner at the moment, but not too far back.
It will have RR Conways, and guess what conversion they were left over from!
It is proving a bit of a pig cutting down a twin engine set up to make a single, I can tell you.
The colour scheme will be Grey/Green over light aircraft grey, from a recently, at that time, de-commisioned fighter squadron in Germany.
Think Sharkmouth :drink:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Martin H

Nice one Jim.....looking forward to seeing it on the stand on saturday :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

sideshowbob9

Great concept and a beautiful model!  :thumbsup:

With a (now) comparatively oversized wing and those engines I bet her short-field performance would be a sight to see!

Daryl J.

That is just fantastic.

Hobbes

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 15, 2009, 01:53:02 PM
I'm sure I've seen a photo of a VC-10 testing a big turbofan, with it on the left and it's two normal Conways on the right. Very strange...

Brilliant build, Jim - certainly looks the part!

That was G-AXLR:

;D

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I really wish I had the ability to 'visualise' stuff like this - I don't, so I'll just keep-on 'painting kits differently'. Great work, Jim, any chance it will be at the Nats ??

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Howard of Effingham

hope to see this one at SMW if you are going!
Keeper of George the Cat.

JayBee

It will be there, and I am entering it for the What If Trophy along with others.

JimB

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

McColm

James

A beauty! Can't believe I hadn't come across this.

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on October 15, 2009, 11:36:13 PM

OK, I am being a bit of a JMN here but this is not quite right. The "lump" on the top of the engine is what it was suspended from not directly from the normal mounting as shown in the picture above. There was a curved mounting that joined the original mounting to the "lump" on top of the engine leaving a gap around the engine other than where the "lump" was at the top. Unfortunately nearly all the pictures taken of the aircraft with the engine installed do not show this because of the size of the engine obscuring the curved mounting arm.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I've got some photos and drawings somewhere that show the curved arm thingie on G-AXLR, but you can only see the gap between the arm and the engine casing from directly ahead and it's not that wide either. In 1/144 scale it amy well be negligable.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: Gondor on May 22, 2014, 12:35:49 PM
Quote from: Hobbes on October 15, 2009, 11:36:13 PM

OK, I am being a bit of a JMN here but this is not quite right. The "lump" on the top of the engine is what it was suspended from not directly from the normal mounting as shown in the picture above. There was a curved mounting that joined the original mounting to the "lump" on top of the engine leaving a gap around the engine other than where the "lump" was at the top. Unfortunately nearly all the pictures taken of the aircraft with the engine installed do not show this because of the size of the engine obscuring the curved mounting arm.

Gondor

Could it be similar to this?
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3001-3100/Gal3070_XH-59A_McIntyre/02.jpg
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Hey, JayBee, your last post on this was almost 5 years ago! :blink:

Any progress? ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

JayBee

Go back to page one of this post to see the completed model.

Jim

Cats are not real.