Soviet Bomber Projects

Started by overscan, March 09, 2004, 12:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overscan

In the quest to achieve the very high performance required, the T-4MS had a very unconventional layout. In the bomber competition it placed first, above Myashishchev's M-20/M-18 (2nd) and Tupolev's Tu-160 (3rd) but was considered a high risk.

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

overscan

"What if?" addict

overscan

This is thought to be the final revision of the T-4MS design. It is rarely seen because it is related to the still secret T-60S bomber design.

"What if?" addict

overscan

The newly reformed Myashishchev OKB built on their M56 experience and tested a wide variety of configurations under the M-20 and M-18 designations.

M-20

"What if?" addict

overscan

"What if?" addict

overscan

The M-18 was the final design submitted

"What if?" addict

overscan

Meanwhile, Tupolev were convinced their Tu-144 layout was perfect for a bomber... the Soviet AF was unimpressed, and weren't decieved by the quick "camo" paint job.

"What if?" addict

overscan

Despite placing last, Tupolev was given the task of creating a new strategic bomber. Sukhoi's entry was too risky, plus they were hard at work on the T-10. Myashishchev's entry was good but they hadn't built a bomber recently. Tupolev was given all the documentation for both the T-4MS and the M-18. Their initial design showed clear Tu-22M and M-18 influence:

"What if?" addict

Shasper

Well, you've lived up to your namesake! Goodshow chap ;)

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Tophe

Great! :wub:  If this had been a book, I would have bought a copy! :)  but... are you allowed to show all that ? without Copyright ? :huh:  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

lancer

Damm, there are some seriously good designs there as well as some beautiful looking aircraft.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

overscan

Well most of the pics and drawings are official ones from the OKBs concerned, and as such the copyright resides with them.

Many (most?) of them come from Russian language websites, and I really have no idea where they were from. Some of the sites credit their sources, others don't.

Where someone has taken a photograph, or created a drawing, I agree that they should be rewarded financially for that. The internet represents something of a grey area. You can't always know where an image came from, or whether you are allowed to download it.

Some of the pics are scanned from "Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack" by Yefim Gordon but I wouldn't like to place money on them actually being his work, as other books by him allegedly stole liberally from Russian language authors.

Anything I have scanned myself, I have posted only in a relatively low resolution.
It isn't my intention to stop people buying books- I know that the images I downloaded from Tony Buttler's books only increased my interest in buying them!
The unfortunate thing is, there really isn't a book to buy unless you speak Russian.

If anyone disagrees, I'll gladly remove some or all of the pictures.

Anyway- heres a quick bibliography for those who are interested:

"Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack" Yefim Gordon. Midland Publishing, Red Star Volume 9

http://www.testpilot.ru/hard.htm

http://legion.wplus.net/guide/air/index.shtml

http://www.butovo.com/~CEM/Myasishev.htm

http://cherry-m.chat.ru/air_08r.htm

"What if?" addict

overscan

If only Tony Buttler would do Russian Secret Projects...

I'd buy all the volumes ;)
"What if?" addict

Martin H

More than enought info there to keep the old little grey cells working overtime
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Awesome awesome awesome awesome..........( echo )

Man, them Soviets sure had some neat ideas !

Looks like the M-60 would be a fairly easy kitbash using a 72nd scale F-104 and the wing of a 48th scale F-5 !

Can also see allot of 'Firefox' in some of them !

Cheers and Thanks !

Toadman :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?