Notice - The Whiffie Nomination process has changed for 2009

Started by philp, October 20, 2009, 01:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Quote from: philp on October 21, 2009, 09:53:22 PM
Logan,
I am a little confused by your suggestion (I will be 49 on Saturday so sometimes you need to type slower).  My thought for this year actually adds a step to make things easier :blink:

Only turned 44 myself recently but I also had trouble understanding Logan's suggestion on first reading...  :cheers:

nev

Are we not making this a little too complicated?  Apart from Jets, I highly doubt the other categories will garner nominations into double figures.  Having run-off votes just drags the thing out and makes people lose intrest.

I would suggest that if a particular category needs to be thinned down that a selection of say 5 established and respected forum members ("The Academy") do that behind closed doors to select those that go through to public voting.  My only caveat would be that The Academy don't all come from the same part of the world, and don't all have the same intrests.

The only 2nd vote should be for The Whiff of the year, a "Champion of Champions" from all the other Whiffie winners.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

philp

Nev,
I hear you but there is a problem with that.  Currently the Sway thread has double figure possibilites for Prop, Jet, Camo, Alt Markings and Kitbash with a few of those over 20 prospects and we still have 2 months to go.  I don't want to be responsible for just picking 5 of those to put in the final vote.
Last year, if a build was submitted more than twice, it stood a good chance to make the finals but not always.  This year, using the sway thread a lot of things will only get posted once because they have already been submitted (unless you miss them first time through).  Basically, I am using the Sway thread to represent the full forum from last year.  The Nomination polls represents the people submitting and shows the popularity of these (it will be a blind poll in that you won't see how many votes an item has even after you vote). Then the top 5 will compete on the final ballot.
The Whiffie of the year will be the top 5 vote getters across all categories from the nomination polls (model could get 15 votes in jet, 10 in camo and 10 in kitbash which would give it a better shot for the Whiffie but last year, some of the contenders were just popular enough in one category to make it).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Stargazer

Being a whiffer of the image manipulation kind, I realize I'm kind of different from most of the whiffers around here... But what of profilers? Some guys here do a fantastic job and it deserves to be acknowledged. I also understand the main problem with nominating profiles: too many from which to choose. That's why I've been thinking of a way to (hopefully) make everyone agree on how to do it... Instead of just a Whiffy for Best Profiler, and to avoid having 40 different suggestions from which to choose, I suggest formulating it like this:

QuoteThe nominees for "Best Profiling Job 2009" are :
- "The Vought Viking" by Logan Hartke
- "The Bell/McDonnell Douglas LHX helicopter" by Robert
- "The Sukhoi Frogfoot" by Glanini
... etc.

... regardless of which particular profile one likes best. It would be a reward for the entire work devoted to a particular aircraft design in particular.

Does this make any sense to you?

philp

I like the idea but some don't concentrate on a particular type, thinking about Mav and Jorel62 off the top of my head.  Then again, some have several good types so which to choose.  I really like Logan's Hinds and his Panthers more than the Viking (and I do like the Viking, don't get me wrong) and Robert's Predators more than the LHX but that is just me.  I think for this year, Best Profiler gives the best opportunity to recognize the greats no matter which profile(s) you like.

And I am still trying to figure out a category that fits photo manipulation (went back through your thread).  There are a few who try to make realistic photos with theirs (or others) models so some type of photo related category may work.  Just need to make sure it is broad enough that there are several contenders.

Also trying to figure out what to do with Whiff Art (like Skyraiders he did for the Japanese Projects book).  It doesn't really fall into the Profile type category but not sure we have others that would qualify.  Maybe instead of best Profiler, it should be best Artist but I think the profilers should have their own.

Maybe we need a Best Miscellaneous category to catch the other stuff.

Any thoughts/ideas around these?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

puddingwrestler

Possibly 'Best photochopped model' and 'Best photochopped Original'.
Photochopped model would include all putting models into backgrounds and scenes, while Photochopepd Original would be all uses of photoshop to create a whiff subject from a real world source, such as using photoshop to repaint an F-22 in the glorious markings of Le Bonjour Chat Escadrille (hi DF!), or stretching a carrier to make a super-dooper carrier, or some such where the main subject is not a model.
Obviously other camera tricks apart from photoshop are welcome, but being A: A Mac Geek, B: A Photoshop Geek and C: A Media Teacher I tend to think in terms of photochopping...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.