PW's Catalina (100% PBY Free!)

Started by puddingwrestler, October 20, 2009, 03:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

For a while now I've been itching with the urge to built an early 1960s custom car. Dunno why. Originally I was thinking about a 60-62 or there abouts ford starliner or some such. But I could not find any matching my exacting standard (ie: cheap and on ebay!), so I picked up  1962 Pontiac Catalina for a goodly price on eBay instead. Thre are no read tyres, but this is not an issue as I will be using custom wheels anyway. :thumbsup:

So, roughyl speaking, imagine this:

But in two tone metallic purple and silver, the divide being the top of the trim bulge thingo down the sides. Also a lot lower.
And wearing these wheels:

I also intend to flock the interior. To this end, I've found a craft shop in aus which sells a ranger of velvet flocks for craft purposes and bought this assortment of twelve different flocks. I'll be using the purple or white - probably the white because most of the inside of the car will be white.

I have to go to Autobarn tommorow to buy some silver auto touch up spray for the lower body, but I already have a righteous purple I picked up there some time ago. Also a polishing kit which I have yet to try out.
Now I must go and swear at the website I usually buy Pegasus wheels from; something has gone wrong with thier shopping cart and it's giving errors when I try to checkout...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Cobra

Sounds Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Small Q:ever watch a TV Show called 'Overhaulin' '???????? this sounds like something for that Show!!!!!!! :cheers:

puddingwrestler

After a bit of swearing, the use of a different web browser and a differnt operating system, I've managed to order the wheels. Slight change however, as I've deicded to use a different sort of wheel. The 23 inch Phat Daddies seemed a little cheesey (especially since I could only get them with spinners molded on), so I'm using 19 inch pegasus cyclones - which are basically Boyd Sidewinder clones.

Got the silver paint today. Also primer and some polish application nessecities (already got three stages worth of car paint polish from swirl remover up to wax, all of it professional grade) SHould be able to lay primer tomorrow and poissibly get the beginings of the paint done. Since I have to wait until next week for the flock and wheels (and brakes) to arrive I've got plenty of time to do the body paint. Which is an unusual sityuation for me as I usually build the whole thing and then do the paint, by which time I am in a hurry to finish.

McColm

There's a show called 'Pimp my ride' they might give you a few ideas.

puddingwrestler

Well, I have primed the body, chassis, engine, enigne bay and interior parts and I'll start spraying purple tommorow.
I even tried out the wax polish I intend to use. On my real car. :thumbsup:

Sauragnmon

Looking forward to seeing this car in some serious pimptastic colours, PW.  Should be quite awesome when she's done.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

puddingwrestler

All I can say is that the three stage polishing system I've used is wicked. You can see clear reflections of objects two or three feet away.
No pics yet because I have to repaint the bonnet (a large blob of crud became involved somehow, I sanded back, but scars where left...)
Also decided to strip the grille of all chrome, and paint it the same silver as the body, then use BMF for the slats. I tried masking the chrome and spraying body colour, but the liquid mask didn't work very well...

Still waiting on wheels and flock

Mossie

Looking forward to the pics! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:  How about a purple and white interior?  Mostly white, but with a few purple highlights to reflect the exterior?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Sauragnmon

Highlights like the steering wheel, the shifter cover, and some such things?

Gonna be a sweet ride when you're done with her I'm sure, PW!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

puddingwrestler

Quote from: Mossie on October 26, 2009, 04:02:09 AM
Looking forward to the pics! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:  How about a purple and white interior?  Mostly white, but with a few purple highlights to reflect the exterior?

The dash and steering are painted the same as the exterior. I'm thinking I might add some silver to the door panel trims and use purple carpet. Maybe a purple stripe through the seats, or posibly the pontiac arrow logos on the seats in purple.

puddingwrestler

I tease you with pics...
heh. heh. heh.

Sauragnmon

Nice, Very Nice.  The colour scheme is looking good so far.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

puddingwrestler

Got home this arvo from picking up the wheels and flock at the post office to find two packages on the doorstep; my next car project and 24 chaos warriors - with a bonus for six elves from a company I have never heard of!

Hopefully get some pics up tonight of the results of the flocking of the interior.