model kits from high street stores ...

Started by TsrJoe, October 22, 2009, 02:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I spent several hours today looking round Preston, for a Works store, as I had been in one a few years back...... :angry:
Needless to say, there ain't one in Preston anymore. :banghead:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

B777LR

Quote from: beowulf on October 25, 2009, 02:49:01 PM
Quote from: Weaver on October 25, 2009, 01:39:36 AM

I'm doing a Revell Marder at the moment with the plastic multi-part tracks and yep, it's a nightmare, not helped by the instructions being flat wrong.... :banghead:

i agree..........ive been stalled on a revell nashorn for months cos i just cant face doing the tracks!  :banghead:

Try asking in the swap section. Someone was kind enough to send spare Tamiya tracks all the way from Australia for my Bergetiger.

Mossie

Do these Su-27's have much in the way of weapons?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

thedarkmaster

They apear to have a basic fighter type load out, no air to ground weapons, Are you after anything mate ?
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Just a pair of AA-11 Archers/R-73's.  I've got some AA-8's but they're a little dated for my build.  I figured at a fiver a kit for the Lee Su-27's, it'd be a cheap way of getting some Russian weapons.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

thedarkmaster

I've got some mate, pm me your address and i'll post a couple to you. won't be till thursday as i'm not at the post office until then.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Tojo633

TK Maxx have a  strange stocking system so what you get is variable from store to store, the new store in Aberdeen had some Revell cars but I managed to pick up an Airfix Severn Class lifeboat for £9.99.
The works I thing may not stock too many, they had the Swedish Airforce set from Airfix a year or so ago and reduced them sometime post New Year to get rid of them, and I missed them! so they may not stock large numbers of kits as the Aberdeen store only had a couple of Challenger kits in and no aircraft
As for Home Bargain none this far North yet, maybe Poundstretcher may get some kits in for the "Festering Season" - A mission for the weekend.
Cheers
Sandy

Weaver

Went in The Works in Stockport today and got the 1/35th Leo II. They have a couple of these left, three 1/72nd Tiger Is and one Flanker.

I'm not the expert on 1/35th armour, but the Leo feels very Italeri to me. Evidence:

1. The title on the box is: MAIN BATTLE TANK. CARRO ARMATO. KAMPFPANZER. If you're selling a Chinese kit of a German tank in an English-speaking market, it seems a bit odd to give the Italian title second-billing, unless it was just copied straight from the Italian kit, of course...

2. The instructions look like Italeri. You have the title on the left above a black line, subtitles and scale underneath it, and a grainy black-and-white picture of the model with no background underneath it. The history text has English first, then German, then Italian, but the decal instructions have Italian first.

3. The plastic feels like Italeri. Each sprue is lettered and has the kit number on it, and the tan-coloured plastic is thin, quite brittle, and carries sharp detail.

Incidentally, the kit has a battery compartment and fittings for a motor, and the instructions have a couple of "afterthought" drawings of it installed, but the parts arn't in the kit. Not something to complain about given that it only costs £6; just interesting.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

Marks and Spencers have a couple of Revell kits on their shelves - The 1/32 ex-Matchbox Spitfire F-22/24 for £15, and Sea King HAS.6/AEW for £12 (I think).  SeaThing comes with tiger stripes.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

upnorth

The Tesco I usually go to has a selection of models though only Revell Germany. I usually don't buy there as one of my local model shops that has a decent selection of RoG kits sell them for less than Tesco usually does.

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

pyro-manic

My local M&S has a pile of the Revell Easykit Star Wars models, and some 1:144 Harrier GR.7s in their xmas gift section.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

'Bout time to revive this in the run up to Christmas, but not much to report yet.

Managed a look in M&S the other day whilst running around on other errands, but the only kit they have in is a Revell 1/72nd Spitfire. The box is a bit rum: it claims on the back to be a Mk.1A, bujt the artwork on the front shows a machine with two cannon and clipped wings..... :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

It's supposed to be a Vb but the oil cooler is too small, so it's closer to a Ib.  The lack of gull wing is what puts me off though, plus I'm not too keen on the cockpit detail.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic