model kits from high street stores ...

Started by TsrJoe, October 22, 2009, 02:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

following on from 'Home Bargains' brilliant sale of £1.99 '21st Century Toys' 1/32 scale kits i noticed a few more on my day off yesterday which might be worth as looksee ...

'The Works', 1/35 Challenger tank £5.99 (Tamya copy?) 1/72 Sukhoi 27 £4.99, 1/72 Abrams tank (toy like) £4.99

'Marks and Spencer' 1/32  Revell (ex Matchbox) Spitfire Mk.22/24 £15.99

its worth keeping an eye out in stores like 'Poundstretcher' etc on the chance they may get kits in too (this happened a number of years ago when stocks of Hasegawa and Esci kits appeared at cheap prices!)

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Mossie

I've seen them before in TK Maxx.  I think they just tend to get whatevers on clearance.  There's often several car kits, mostly Revell, but they occasionally have other stuff, you've just got to pop in from time to time.  Due to the way TK Maxx stock, I imagine it varies from shop to shop.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

thedarkmaster

Nothing in the Derby  " works " so it may be a shop by shop basis
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Weaver

Yeah - the local Home Bargains never got the 21st Century stuff either.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

thedarkmaster

Update on derby "Works" went past last thing last night and they have the Challenger and a Leopard ii in 1/35 and the M1 and also a Merkava in 1/76 finally the had one Sukhoi, but not anymore  ;D  ;D  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

beowulf

i agree with the comment about tk maxx...............thier stock can be quite erratic but i always walk thro the one in nottingham when im passing...............few weeks ago i picked up the Revell Corvette C5 le mans 1/24 for the princly sum of 4 quid!.......result!
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Weaver

Had a look around Stockport this afternoon:

The Works: "Lee" brand 1/35th Chally and Leo II. 1/72nd Tiger I, Su-27 Sea Flanker and Leo II. Bought the last two:

Leo II looks good (comes in a vast box with a display plinth). Tracks and wheels are moulded in one piece.

Flanker's okayish: soft plastic and a few fixable moulding glitches. Basic shape looks okay, missiles notably inaccurate. As Pyromanic has discovered, it's a copy of the Italeri kit.

Had a chat with the manageress and it seems they order them as "Kits: assorted. Five of" so they have no idea what they're getting.

TK Maxx: various Revell cars, custom bikes and Star Wars easy kits. Nothing that appealed and no favours on the price either.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Had a look in The Works today & saw everything mentioned but the Leo.  There where two versions of the 'Sukho1' (yep, that's the way it is on the box!), a Su-27 Flanker B & Su-27 'Sea Flanker', (a Su-27K/Su-33 Flanker D).
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

philp

Here in the US the most common place to find discount kits is Big Lots.  While my local ones have not had anything lately, I have picked up some good deals in the past.  Last one was the Polar Lights Capt America and Lost in Space Robot with Dr. Smith.  Both were under $10.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

D-Angle

Thanks for the tip guys, just popped into my local Works and grabbed 2 Flankers and a E-2C Hawkeye. :thumbsup:

Weaver

The Leo IIA5 box lists the following other kits in the range on the side of the box:

Tiger I
Berge Tiger (Tiger recovery vehicle)
Panther D
M1A1 Abrams
Berge Panther (Panther recovery vehicle)
Mekava (Mk. not specifed, but looks early)
M2 Bradley (Mk. not specified, but has applique armour)

The Su-27 Sea Flanker box has pictures, but no names, of the following other kits in the range on the side of the box:

Su-27 (standard)
YF-22
Longbow Apache
Regular Apache
Mil-28 Havoc (accurate, not the old ESCI "guess")
Ka-50 Hokum (ditto)
E-2C Hawkeye
Mirage 2000 two seater (Mk. not clear: it has AAMs and 2-tone grey colour scheme)

- Indiana Jones

B777LR

Quote from: Weaver on October 24, 2009, 10:38:52 AM
The Leo IIA5 box lists the following other kits in the range on the side of the box:

Tiger I
Berge Tiger (Tiger recovery vehicle)
Panther D
M1A1 Abrams
Berge Panther (Panther recovery vehicle)
Mekava (Mk. not specifed, but looks early)
M2 Bradley (Mk. not specified, but has applique armour)

The Su-27 Sea Flanker box has pictures, but no names, of the following other kits in the range on the side of the box:

Su-27 (standard)
YF-22
Longbow Apache
Regular Apache
Mil-28 Havoc (accurate, not the old ESCI "guess")
Ka-50 Hokum (ditto)
E-2C Hawkeye
Mirage 2000 two seater (Mk. not clear: it has AAMs and 2-tone grey colour scheme)

Sounds like they have a deal with Italeri. They do all those kits. The Tigers are horrible kits though. You need some replacement tracks, the in-box single-link plastic glue-together thingies are useless. They have flash and don't fit together...

Weaver

Quote from: B787 on October 25, 2009, 01:20:01 AM
Sounds like they have a deal with Italeri. They do all those kits. The Tigers are horrible kits though. You need some replacement tracks, the in-box single-link plastic glue-together thingies are useless. They have flash and don't fit together...

The Leo I've got has one-piece track and wheel assemblies like some of the wargames-oriented kits you can get nowadays. Frankly, if the moulding's good (and it is) than I'm all for this: track systems are a major, unrewarding PITA in 1/72nd scale.

I'm doing a Revell Marder at the moment with the plastic multi-part tracks and yep, it's a nightmare, not helped by the instructions being flat wrong.... :banghead:

- Indiana Jones

beowulf

Quote from: Weaver on October 25, 2009, 01:39:36 AM

I'm doing a Revell Marder at the moment with the plastic multi-part tracks and yep, it's a nightmare, not helped by the instructions being flat wrong.... :banghead:

i agree..........ive been stalled on a revell nashorn for months cos i just cant face doing the tracks!  :banghead:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder