We ARE secret santa'ing this year! (formerly Are we secret santa'ing this year?)

Started by puddingwrestler, October 25, 2009, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 25, 2009, 09:31:53 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on December 25, 2009, 05:18:35 PM
My pressie was from thedarkmaster - a Moebius 1:72 "Voyager" kit. Very cool, T-tailed delta thingy I'd never heard of before. Lots of potential here! :thumbsup:

The sci fi-ish thingee of retroness and a general air of Irwin Allen about it?

This 'un: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/moe/kit_moe_voyager.shtml :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Quote from: thedarkmaster on December 26, 2009, 05:18:21 AM

Well i got a trumpeter Finback II and an Airfix Refueling set, Finback is going to be American ANG no idea on the refueling set but overall ..... :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: santa .

Have you opened the box? - the refuelling set came with ideas...... ;D

ANG eh? Now that had never crossed my mind, but it's a big, "heavy metal" jet, so it should be highly appropriate, and a good canvas for those fancy markings.  :thumbsup:

My present from Black Knight is a Pavla 1/72nd Gloster G.40 Pioneer, i.e. the E.28/39 Whittle engine testbed, complete with some VERY nice resin cockpit and u/c bits.  Thanks, it's great! :wub: :thumbsup:

Respectful idea: the projected fighter version with 4 x .303s in the wings. This is a bit predictable, but it would use the very pretty resin u/c.

Disrespectful idea: Natter-style vertical take-off rocket-powered interceptor with a battery of RPs in the nose, written up from a "look how desperate those crazy Brits got before we beat them" POV....  :wacko: :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

philp

John, aka, Batmancustoms sent me this one
:thumbsup:

Still not sure what to do with it  :blink:.  Not really my scale but better for Whiff armor.  Just don't have any good ideas for alternate markings and the kit isn't all that accurate (not that that matters with a whiff).  Thinking more of converting it into a 72nd vehicle of somekind, maybe a space exploration vehicle searching for water on Mars or a mining vehicle of some type but need some ideas for those.

The turret might actually show up on a 72nd scale Hover tank if I can get started on it this week for the HOG GB.  Have a couple other turret ideas but not sure where the other pieces have run off to.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

batmancustoms

So are we doing the Secreat Santa group uild no?  Or did I get confused again?
John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

Dork the kit slayer

Opened my secret santa (xmas day) a really nice Salamander.......................and we all know they were based on carriers in Korea.....................dont we.
Thanks PW nice one
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Weaver

Quote from: philp on December 26, 2009, 01:55:28 PM
John, aka, Batmancustoms sent me this one
:thumbsup:

Still not sure what to do with it  :blink:.  Not really my scale but better for Whiff armor.  Just don't have any good ideas for alternate markings and the kit isn't all that accurate (not that that matters with a whiff).  Thinking more of converting it into a 72nd vehicle of somekind, maybe a space exploration vehicle searching for water on Mars or a mining vehicle of some type but need some ideas for those.

The turret might actually show up on a 72nd scale Hover tank if I can get started on it this week for the HOG GB.  Have a couple other turret ideas but not sure where the other pieces have run off to.

You could use the chassis for a Gerry Anderson-style BIG 1/72nd vehicle: mobile drilling/mining, rocket-launching, whatever.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Gentlemen, I had assumed you would all instantly start building your presents without me having to tell you to start - the start date was christmas day, so you can now start hackign things up with out delay.
Now who do I havce to annoy to get our own subsection of the GBs forum?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on December 25, 2009, 05:21:43 PM

Colin (Freightdog) is a very, very nice man!  Thanks Col!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You don't get much more of a whiff-in-a-box!  Kinda jumped the gun in the Airacuda thread.  One idea was to turn it into a conventional attack bomber, then turn one (at least) of the nacelles into a very unconventional fighter.  Then again, part of me thinks that the Airacuda is such a strange beast, it'd be a shame not to do it oob.  Time constraints might turn me against the former too, but we'll see!

I've been dealing with a Valom Airacuda and its problems for a while now so if you want info on the pit falls,
or any other info let me know. My build has to OOB for a review, so the badly molded exhaust system
is causing a major problem.

P.S. I've not forgotten about the sanding/finishing films, things have been a bit pear-shaped round her
the last few months, but now that I have studio/shop mostly put back together I'll be able to dig the stuff-out
and post it off.

p.s.s. dump the pusher/gunner nacelle and replace the lot with P-40 front ends, a belly gun and fixed
aft-shooting guns in the trailing edge of the wing.  ;D

jcf

Brother Toad sent me a Minicraft RAF Ventura with an interesting melange of bits-and-bobs.
Now as it happens I had a Minicraft USN PV-1 on the shelf, so visions of twinning danced in my head,
followed quickly by the realization that by combining parts from both kits I could make a USMC PV-1
nightfighter... but then I remembered something that always made my heart sing: the one-and-only
Ventellation, a clipped nose PV-1 with the R-3350 engines, cowling and propellers of the Lockheed 049 Constellation.
So he asked himself what could one do with a production Ventellation? Kamikaze or V-weapon chaser? Race plane?
San Tortan Package Express - we get it there yesterday? Anti-tank?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 26, 2009, 11:33:32 PM

I've been dealing with a Valom Airacuda and its problems for a while now so if you want info on the pit falls,
or any other info let me know. My build has to OOB for a review, so the badly molded exhaust system
is causing a major problem.

P.S. I've not forgotten about the sanding/finishing films, things have been a bit pear-shaped round her
the last few months, but now that I have studio/shop mostly put back together I'll be able to dig the stuff-out
and post it off.

p.s.s. dump the pusher/gunner nacelle and replace the lot with P-40 front ends, a belly gun and fixed
aft-shooting guns in the trailing edge of the wing.  ;D

Jon, any info on the kits pitfalls & also any info in your archives as to how the YFM-1A's tricycle undercarriage differs from the other variants, would be very gratefully recieved.

Thank you for still thinking about the sanding films, it's very generous of you!

I was eyeing up a P-38 in the new branch of Modelzone (a much needed diversion from the Christmas shopping nightmare) in Hull for just the purpose of robbing it's Alison's.  I might see if I can find a couple of Hobby Boss P-40B's for a slightly earlier look.  I'd like to do something different with it, but it might not happen as I've got too many projects on the go at the mo.

Quote from: nev on December 26, 2009, 01:04:24 AM

How about Coastal Command or SEAC?  The repository of all things not wanted.

Definately an option Nev.  I was also thinking Russian also, since they turned another derided Bell product into a winner, although I'm a little WWII Soviet & RAF'd out after the last two Telford theme's!  Another thought was to use a US standard scheme, but with slighty unusual markings such as Brazilian Air Force (finding those might take a little effort though).
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 26, 2009, 05:49:38 PM
Now who do I havce to annoy to get our own subsection of the GBs forum?

Just gotta ask the right guy, thanks Jeff.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

thedarkmaster

QuoteAnother thought was to use a US standard scheme, but with slighty unusual markings such as Brazilian Air Force (finding those might take a little effort though).

got some WW II brazilian decals if you need them mate
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: philp on December 26, 2009, 01:55:28 PM
  Thinking more of converting it into a 72nd vehicle of somekind, maybe a space exploration vehicle searching for water on Mars

I'm liking your thinking!!!! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!