We ARE secret santa'ing this year! (formerly Are we secret santa'ing this year?)

Started by puddingwrestler, October 25, 2009, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

There is always room my dear Proditor. Always room.

Could people start PM'ing me thier addressess and correct names; I'm starting to build a database thingee to help me keep track of stuff and work out who will send stuff to whom. I intend to keep this information shady and shadowy and secretive so people don't know who they are getting things from.
Real names are important on parcels; DaFrog once recieved a package addressed to Mr. Dan Frog because he forgot to tell the sender his real name... and sometimes they will not give you the package without ID, which would have been hard in that case...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

Another thought: some folks on here only do 1/48th or larger, not because they're hidebound and need challenging, but because their eyes and fingers arn't up to dealing with "brail-scale". Likewise, folks who live in one-bedroom flats don't neccessarily have the option of doing anything that's physically too big when finished. For these reasons, I think sender and receiver need to communicate at least about what's possible and practical for them, if not (obviously) about what kit is actually being sent.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

I'd prefer people not to know from whence thier kits came (if only to prevent revenge killings); however anyone who has requirements can post them here. Anyone saying 'I only model 1/72 scale german tanks from May 1940 to Jane 1940' will of course be roundly booed into oblivion and recieve a Shaun the Sheep land rover kit.

Black Knight

i'm interested, Black Knight of Great Britain.
:tornado:
As The Dark Master rests, the Black Knight protects the New Commonwealth.

Aerotech, Keeping you ahead by any means.

Gary

I am so far in I am out.

So we don't send knitting... Hmmm that strains my brains.
I really should finish the one I started two years ago.

If it's a kit in your stash and you had extras in it, can you toss them in as a 'do what you will with it?' For example, and I won't use it, I have a collection of P-40 E's in a box with a ton of resin, brass, masks and decals and no desire to take them on. It would be a bit of a challenge to incorporate the works, but no one said you need to use all the parts.

At any rate, me being me, I want to know how much offense would happen if I sent a more than $25 kit. Anything around here in the $25 range sucks arse. They would include ancient trade in kits, some of the old re-pops of itty-bitty kits and leave anything of real quality and the sense of giving behind. I would not be offended by receiving such, but the giving part of the dealy, I have to feel like I am giving a gift. It's just who I am.

That and I am thinking of stuff in my stash and if I give from the stash, I don't want to send any of the dodgy cheap crap.

Gary Porter
Halifax, NS Canada
In like sin!
Getting back into modeling

philp

Gary,
If you happened to have me, I would not complain of any 72nd scale kit over $25 :wacko:

I think the main thing PW is going for is so people don't feel they have to break the bank to participate.  My local club does a Christmas party and the only rule is the kit has to be at least $$.  That was set because someone shelled out for a new expensive kit to put in the pile and they ended up with someone's old, cheap kit with parts missing :banghead: not cool.

Oh, and Owen, A Shawn the Sheep Landrover would be cool (or the Dr Who Daleks, just the full one not the opened version :wub:).

Even though I almost exclusively build 72nd, I will dabble in the other scales, especially Armor and Sci Fi but the fun I have with this is that you never know what you end up with.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

puddingwrestler

Gary; The $25 can be broken, and only refers to what you paid for it when you bough it. Since I almost always buy kits second hand from eBay I routinely buy things which would cost far more in the shops.

JayBee

I prefer the smaller scales, but then, Scaleorama! What the Heck.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

thedarkmaster

I only model 1/72 its more a space and not wanting to get divorced  thing ;D  ;D  ;D than anything else
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

So no Nimrods then???

I'd be happy to try pretty much any scale or subject (well maybe, I'll tell you when I get it!).  In previous years, the price has been more of a lower guideline, I guess you could throw in a more expensive kit, as long you weren't worried if you got one for less in return.  Here in blighty, you should be able to find a very good 1/72 & a half decent 1/48 kit, even some good 1/35 kits for a few quid either side of £18.

I think that being able to specify scale & possibly even (very) broad subject matter (i.e. aircraft, ships, armour, sci-fi etc) might be a good way of getting more people to join in & finish.  I think the year long build date might have the opposite effect though, maybe limit it to the usual three months for a GB?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

I'd say specify scale and finished size (for practical reasons) but I don't think specifying even broad subject matter is a good idea: part of the point is to present you with something you wouldn't have bought yourself. For instance I don't do car kits, but if I was sent one, I'd build it (whiffed, of course) and probably learn something useful in the process (how to do shiney paint? How to deal with chromed plastic?). The other thing you can do is try to whiff the kit back towards what you are interested in: so if someone sends you a luxury yacht kit, paint it grey and plaster it with guns, etc...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

thedarkmaster

QuoteSo no Nimrods then???

No they are ok mate, got 2 in the stash also got An12 and An22 so it's not that, it's just she whom MUST be obeyed, if i want any kits on display she says it's 1/72 or smaller, and as i love her I'm happy with that
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

puddingwrestler

First, a few changes to the ten commandments in line with discussions occuring in this thread:

Commandment 2: Thy gift shall cost about $25 of your earthling australian dollars (about 20US, probably about 18 pounds or so) but thou may send a gift of greater value if you so wish.

Commandment 4: Thou shalt build thy kit by easter.
-A shorter GB will encourage people to finish after all!

Commandmetn 11: Thous shalt use this thread to let others know of special modeling requirements (such as the inability to work with itty bitty teeny tiny parts due to short sightedness/huge fingeredness/wobbly handedness/being a Tyranosaurus Rex)

We now have fifteen interested whiffers from a range of countries.
I still need addresses for quite a few people; let's keep these PMs rolling in!

Ed S

Quote from: thedarkmaster on November 21, 2009, 03:46:29 PM

QuoteSo no Nimrods then???

No they are ok mate, got 2 in the stash also got An12 and An22 so it's not that, it's just she whom MUST be obeyed, if i want any kits on display she says it's 1/72 or smaller, and as i love her I'm happy with that

1/72 or smaller.  So you are looking for things like the Monogram B-52 or the newly announced AModel Hughes H-1 or even some C-130's.  After all, they're 1/72 so they won't take up much space.

:wacko:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

My only stipulation is NOT TOO BIG. Don't care what scale it is, I just have very limited opportunities to display/store stuff that takes up more space than, say a WWII medium bomber in 1/72nd.

- Indiana Jones