We ARE secret santa'ing this year! (formerly Are we secret santa'ing this year?)

Started by puddingwrestler, October 25, 2009, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Quote from: philp on December 26, 2009, 01:55:28 PM
John, aka, Batmancustoms sent me this one
:thumbsup:

Still not sure what to do with it  :blink:.  Not really my scale but better for Whiff armor.  Just don't have any good ideas for alternate markings and the kit isn't all that accurate (not that that matters with a whiff).  Thinking more of converting it into a 72nd vehicle of somekind, maybe a space exploration vehicle searching for water on Mars or a mining vehicle of some type but need some ideas for those.

The turret might actually show up on a 72nd scale Hover tank if I can get started on it this week for the HOG GB.  Have a couple other turret ideas but not sure where the other pieces have run off to.

Americanise it! Turret from an M1 or M60! 120mm gun, reactive tiles on the front...

Weaver

Quote from: B787 on December 28, 2009, 02:41:23 AM
Quote from: philp on December 26, 2009, 01:55:28 PM
John, aka, Batmancustoms sent me this one
:thumbsup:

Still not sure what to do with it  :blink:.  Not really my scale but better for Whiff armor.  Just don't have any good ideas for alternate markings and the kit isn't all that accurate (not that that matters with a whiff).  Thinking more of converting it into a 72nd vehicle of somekind, maybe a space exploration vehicle searching for water on Mars or a mining vehicle of some type but need some ideas for those.

The turret might actually show up on a 72nd scale Hover tank if I can get started on it this week for the HOG GB.  Have a couple other turret ideas but not sure where the other pieces have run off to.

Americanise it! Turret from an M1 or M60! 120mm gun, reactive tiles on the front...

Or just Westernise it, in the manner of some T-55s: Western "signature" items like smoke dischargers, MGs, IR searchlights, Western-style ERA etc... You couldn't easily replace the gun with a Western one because the T-62 has a 3-man crew and an autoloader: the Western guns arn't designed for that, and there's no room for a human loader to work.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

batmancustoms

We going to have a group form?  So we can show of what we are doing?
John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 28, 2009, 06:12:38 AM
Didn't the S-tank have an auto-loader?

It did, but then it was fitted behind the gun in a big hull rather than a small turret. In order to fit it to a turret, you'd have to change it so much that you'd be better starting off with a clean sheet of paper. Since the 105mm round is presumably smaller than the 115mm, I suppose you could, in theory, adapt the T-62's autoloader to do the job, but then that raises the question of whether it would be worth it. The 105 L7, with modern ammo, is better than the T-55's 100mm, which is why it's so often substituted. I doubt whether it's much advance on the 115mm though. If there was really a market for Western T-62 upgrades, a better route would probably be to keep the 115 and it's autoloader, and use Western technology to make better shells for it. Since there's only 10mm in it, you could even just make a new sabot for the 105's APDS penetrator.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

philp

The Israeli's have put 105mm guns in the T-54/55/62s they captured and they worked just fine.  But that is too cliche and not sure I have a gun in the stash, not much 35th scale stuff.  If I kept it 35th scale I would probably convert it to an APC of some type.  Would be easier if I had the turret off of something else to swap with.

Still leaning more towards a 72nd kit bash of some type.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

batmancustoms

sorry having some many probs bro , I thought it was a wicked kit. Of course I love soviet tanks.  Do so hope you have fun with it.  Love th eidea of doing a super tank in 1/72
John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

Weaver

Quote from: philp on December 28, 2009, 11:58:12 AM
The Israeli's have put 105mm guns in the T-54/55/62s they captured and they worked just fine.  But that is too cliche and not sure I have a gun in the stash, not much 35th scale stuff.  If I kept it 35th scale I would probably convert it to an APC of some type.  Would be easier if I had the turret off of something else to swap with.

Still leaning more towards a 72nd kit bash of some type.

Looks like I'm getting confused, for which, my apologies.

The T-62 doesn't have a 3-man crew and an autoloader, it has a 4-man crew and an auto-extractor (which is a pain), so yes, you can fit a 105mm if you want to and the Israelis and Egyptians have done. The Egyptians also have some upgraded vehicles with 120mm guns.

I still agree about the 1/72nd kitbash..... ;D

- Indiana Jones

Gary

Oh my...
a big F-16, and an Apachie and a Ju-88?

I am stumped as to how to combine the three...

This is indeed a wealth of stuff, but a puzzle indeed too.

G
Getting back into modeling

proditor

Thanks to my Secret Santa, (Thanks Ed!) I have a very nice USS New Jersey awaiting commisioning.  It's 1/535, so I considered the following ideas:

Scale-o-rama her to 1/700 to make an uber dreadnought.
The above plus make it from another country
Both of the above, and make it a hybrid BB/Carrier!

But I decided that none of those ideas went far enough...

MWUA-HA-HA!!!!

My evil pans will come to fruition.  Oh yes, they will.

These will play a part.

I am done teasing, I must make haste to the laboratory and make sure that the pressure is set correctly!

sudzonic

Hay all sometimes you just have a blinding flash of inspiration mine came just as i was falling asleep last night instead of my original plan i am now thinking along these lines...

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!

thedarkmaster

Well i have finished the aircraft part of my build

It's going to be air national guard circa 1991 to fit in with my Empires Twighlight thread.

Just the painting to go so hopefully by the weekend  ;D  ;D  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Weaver

Quote from: thedarkmaster on January 05, 2010, 01:30:36 PM

Well i have finished the aircraft part of my build

It's going to be air national guard circa 1991 to fit in with my Empires Twighlight thread.

Just the painting to go so hopefully by the weekend  ;D  ;D  ;D

Nice one! BTW, did you open the Refuelling Set box? There's some ideas in there.....

- Indiana Jones