Imaginary NATO reporting names

Started by Stargazer, October 28, 2009, 12:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Thanks Ed and PR19_Kit: I didn't know about this.

What about the Backfire? To me there are three syllables in this name, right? (bak-fah-yer)

Weaver

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on November 06, 2009, 07:20:28 AM
Thanks Ed and PR19_Kit: I didn't know about this.

What about the Backfire? To me there are three syllables in this name, right? (bak-fah-yer)

Matter of accent, I think. "Fire" is generally regarded as a single syllable though.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

elmayerle

it's Friday and my sense of humor is preparing for the weekend.  Would a very expensive fighter get the reporting name of "Flatbroke"?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Ed S on November 06, 2009, 07:11:13 AM
There is a reason for the two syllable names.  According to the NATO standards, one syllable names are used for prop driven a/c (including turboprops) and the two syllable names are for jet powered a/c.  HTH.

I just wrote that.........  :huh:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Quote from: elmayerle on November 06, 2009, 09:21:57 AM
it's Friday and my sense of humor is preparing for the weekend.  Would a very expensive fighter get the reporting name of "Flatbroke"?

Perfect name for the MiG 1.44...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

You could call a Soviet stealth fighter the FNORD, because then no one would see it.......

(and yes, it would have to be prop-driven.....)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Ed S

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 06, 2009, 10:48:12 AM
Quote from: Ed S on November 06, 2009, 07:11:13 AM
There is a reason for the two syllable names.  According to the NATO standards, one syllable names are used for prop driven a/c (including turboprops) and the two syllable names are for jet powered a/c.  HTH.

I just wrote that.........  :huh:

If it's worth saying, it's worth saying again.    ;D

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

elmayerle

Quote from: Weaver on November 06, 2009, 02:09:54 PM
You could call a Soviet stealth fighter the FNORD, because then no one would see it.......

Hmm, all composite multi-blade, slow-rotating (comparatively) prop to minimize noise with various exhaust suppression schemes that work better when you're not using exhaust for propulsion.  It wouldn't be impossible and it coule be fun to work out an LO propjob.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Weaver

Quote from: elmayerle on November 07, 2009, 09:26:43 AM
Quote from: Weaver on November 06, 2009, 02:09:54 PM

Hmm, all composite multi-blade, slow-rotating (comparatively) prop to minimize noise with various exhaust suppression schemes that work better when you're not using exhaust for propulsion.  It wouldn't be impossible and it coule be fun to work out an LO propjob.

Bit like an armed Q-Star (it would have to be armed to qualify for an "F" code)....... The Soviets were always keen on their "Bed-Check Charlie" night-harrasment raids with Po-2 biplanes: suppose they decided to do a modern update on the concept?  :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

rallymodeller

Another note: reporting names are chosen to be dissimilar sounding to each other when reported by radio, like the phonetic alphabet.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Fulcrum

What about HOPELESS, HOPEFUL or FLYBEE(fighter-bomber)?
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Stargazer

Keep' em comin', we'll do a bigger list when I have enough!  :thumbsup:

The Rat

I did one last year called the FLUNKER, you can see it here. In North American parlance 'flunk' means 'fail'.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

How about a helicopter for use in remote, backwoods areas, codenamed HICK;D ("Hick" being US slang for a "country boy")

Or how about a psy-ops helo with loudspeakers used to broadcast propaganda messages, codenamed Hector? ("To hector" meaning to heckle or berate).

;D

- Indiana Jones

Stargazer

Quote from: Weaver on January 17, 2010, 10:16:32 AM
How about a helicopter for use in remote, backwoods areas, codenamed HICK;D ("Hick" being US slang for a "country boy")

Or how about a psy-ops helo with loudspeakers used to broadcast propaganda messages, codenamed Hector? ("To hector" meaning to heckle or berate).

;D

Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing and for the linguistics bonus!  :thumbsup: