Imaginary NATO reporting names

Started by Stargazer, October 28, 2009, 12:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

People's Republic of Yorkshire orders 'FLATCAP' fighters, perhaps?   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Brian da Basher

Hey guys, I've had to edit a bunch of posts on this thread for adult language. Please keep in mind that some members read the forum with their children and we also get minors checking out the board as guests. Also, please be careful to adhere to the forum rules. Sometimes what may be meant as a joke or in jest may not be takes as such. If you want to toss around insults or start an argument with someone, take it elsewhere.

Thank you. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Brian da Basher
What If Moderating Team

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on October 28, 2009, 12:16:19 PMIf the topic is misplaced, please would a moderator move it to wherever it belongs... Thanks!

Moved to the hot topics forum. 

Since this discussion is about reporting names and not a proposed group build.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Devil_505

Firehound
Backhand
Frakker (Battlestar Galactica reference)
Fubar
Freakshow
Faerie

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

anthonyp

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Stargazer

Quote from: anthonyp on November 03, 2009, 02:27:51 PM
I got a few:

Mig-39 Fubar
Yak-39 Faker
Yak-145 Farad

What magnificent models! Truly deserving of praise! Thanks for adding them here, actually I didn't know that Faker had already been used by someone on the forum...

Just call me Ray

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on October 28, 2009, 02:50:52 PM
I have to admit that BULLSHIT or FATSO are kind of borderline...

BULLSHOT nearly became the reporting name for the Tu-22, what was eventually settled on to be BLINDER. They thought that was too borderline.

This came about because they thought BEAUTY was too flattering.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Bryan H.

Oh, I like this thread - my wife will really wonder about me as I laugh at the list.   :blink:

FLIGHTY, FRIDGED, FREAK, COWPIE, CRABBY, CRAPPIE (an American freshwater gamefish), CORNPONE, BOZO, BEAVIS, BUTTHEAD, BUFFALOCHIP, HORSEFEATHER, HOSER, HAPPYHAPPYJOYJOY(this last one would be good for a dual rotor helicopter)...  Hopefully, none of these are over the "line."

I'm sure there are many more NATO reporting names to be made up!  ;D

:cheers: Bryan  

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Weaver

How about a helo for use in undeveloped country areas called a HICK?

A very expensive fighter called a FORKOUT?

A two-seat trainer called a MORON?

A bomber with defective navigation gear called a BLUNDER?

A bomber version of the MiG-25 with defective nav. gear called a BLINDBAT?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Fulcrum

Quote from: Weaver on November 05, 2009, 02:22:50 PM
How about a helo for use in undeveloped country areas called a HICK?

A very expensive fighter called a FORKOUT?

A two-seat trainer called a MORON?
Seems appropiately to be good NATO reporting names, in my opinion. NATO occasionly gives disparaging codenames to some aircraft,i.e. Tu-26 "Backfire" & Mig-15, while also giving some good names,i.e. Mig-29 "Fulcrum & Tu-95 "Bear".
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Cobra

how about these for NATO reporting Names?:Hotshoe, Wolfgirl,Crapper, Blacktop,and..............Pantydrop!!!!!!!!! Hope their Not too Saucy!!!!!!!! Stay Cool :ph34r: :cheers:

PR19_Kit

On thing that needs to be remembered is that jets have two syllable names and props have only one. Turbo-props, like the BEAR, count as props for this.

NATO didn't have any class for three syllable names. Perhaps that would have been for gliders? :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Stargazer

Folks, I don't want to water down your enthusiasm, but the purpose was to come up with BELIEVABLE NAMES...  :lol:

Real names are usually neither too derogatory NOR too laudatory. Most of the time they are amusing but not ridiculous either! AND they are mostly two syllables... Now if you want to create a whiff model fighter and call it FLIPPETYFLOPFLOP I really have nothing against it, but it won't sound REALISTIC, that's all!

Ed S

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on November 06, 2009, 01:46:50 AM
Folks, I don't want to water down your enthusiasm, but the purpose was to come up with BELIEVABLE NAMES...  :lol:

Real names are usually neither too derogatory NOR too laudatory. Most of the time they are amusing but not ridiculous either! AND they are mostly two syllables... Now if you want to create a whiff model fighter and call it FLIPPETYFLOPFLOP I really have nothing against it, but it won't sound REALISTIC, that's all!

There is a reason for the two syllable names.  According to the NATO standards, one syllable names are used for prop driven a/c (including turboprops) and the two syllable names are for jet powered a/c.  HTH.

I used "Fluffy" as the name for my modified A-7 for the Sovietize It GB.  See here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22799.0.html

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.